Which Striker Role Demands the Most Skill?

Striker Roles

• Deep Lying Forward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Defencive Forward

• Poacher

• Target Man

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So while playing Football Manager and going through the roles it dawned on me a curious question...which striker role demands the most skill or talent and which player would say best fits that role?

Here are the options...

- Advanced Forward
- Complete Forward
- Deep Lying Forward
- Defencive Forward
- False Nine
- Poacher
- Target Man
- Trequarista

Based upon the list, complete forward as its name says probably requires the most skill...but not so fast. I actually think that someone like trequarista might demand the highest talent level. Think about it, true that their defencive game is nonexistent and they get to roam around free on the pitch....they absolutely need high levels of intelligence to anticipate where the play is and where it's going. You also need a great amount of pace and finishing skills to transform that role into a world class option. Very few players that I know of carry those attributes and the ones who do are world class such as Auba.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
NOt even sure what half the terms are... anyway false 9 and Trequarista are pretty similar so, one of that.

definitely not poacher or target man might as well be playing with 10 men.

Reactions: YNWA14

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What’s an advanced forward? Never heard that before.

If I remember my english terminology correctly, that's someone like Timo Werner or a prime Fernando Torres. A striker who plays off the back shoulder of defenders, constantly running past them to try and latch onto balls in the clear.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If I remember my english terminology correctly, that's someone like Timo Werner or a prime Fernando Torres. A striker who plays off the back shoulder of defenders, constantly running past them to try and latch onto balls in the clear.

Ahh that would make sense

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That sounds a lot like a trequarista as well. In FM it mentions advanced forward as...

"The Advanced Forward's main role is to lead the line and look to spearhead attacking moves. His primary duty is to be the focal point in attacking moves and he is required to both score and create goals.

His secondary role is to chase down misplaced through balls or clearances from deep, win possession, and lay off passes or crosses to his teammates."

On the other hand...

"Trequarista operates in the attacking midfield or centre forward positions. While similar to the advanced playmaker in that he aims to drop into the holes between the opposition's midfield and defence, the trequarista does far less defensively and simply drifts around looking for space when the team is not in possession.

As such, the rest of the team needs to carry him when defending, but use him as the main outlet in attacking."

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I don't know the answer.

Of greater concern to me is whether a striker fits the style of play their coach demands of them, and whether they can adapt successfully if that style evolves.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
These categories are weird.

Separating Trequarista's, False-9s, and deep-lying forwards seems awfully pedantic; since they're basically just different aspects of the same fundamental concept...using a skilled forward that can move into the box or drop into the gap between the midfield and the front line to create danger for himself & team-mates.

And poaching is an attribute that all types of forwards can have, rather than a unique way of playing the position. I get separating Targetmen from off-the-shoulder strikers from Trequarista's, but a lot of these categories seem to be pretty redundant/overlapping.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That sounds a lot like a trequarista as well. In FM it mentions advanced forward as...

"The Advanced Forward's main role is to lead the line and look to spearhead attacking moves. His primary duty is to be the focal point in attacking moves and he is required to both score and create goals.

His secondary role is to chase down misplaced through balls or clearances from deep, win possession, and lay off passes or crosses to his teammates."

On the other hand...

"Trequarista operates in the attacking midfield or centre forward positions. While similar to the advanced playmaker in that he aims to drop into the holes between the opposition's midfield and defence, the trequarista does far less defensively and simply drifts around looking for space when the team is not in possession.

As such, the rest of the team needs to carry him when defending, but use him as the main outlet in attacking."

Trequarista's operate in the gap between the lines, Werner/Torres operate beyond that final line, so those roles are very different...although Timo does drop deep & drift to the wing to play more like a Trequarista as well, but that's secondary to his constantly probing runs beyond the backline.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The distinctions are in the way the player plays in the engine.

A poacher will mostly just hang around the box and stay high, not really looking to be involved in the build up or chase the ball into corners as much. They're trying to do one thing: get into position to score, and ideally finish. They'll play on the shoulder too but more going to the net.

An advanced forward is a bit different in that they'll look to open themselves up to be available for spearheading attacks and carry the ball when they're not playing the shoulder. They'll also chase balls into the corner and play more wide when there's no space in the middle for them. Their participation in the overall play, tendency to run onto loose balls more away from the net and dribbling with the ball separate them from the poacher.

I do find the False 9/DLF to be more similar. They do play a little different in the sense that the false 9 will drop deeper than the DLF, roam a bit more horizontally and also likes to dribble with the ball and make runs after dropping deep. The DLF will stay bit higher and play with his back to the net more, protecting the ball and holding onto it for overlapping attack minded midfielders or wingers. Functionally it's a bit different.

The trequartista demands the ball when in possession and roams everywhere while being very aggressive in attacking the opposition. They're contributing a lot less off the ball than other roles.

That said a lot of players have built in 'player preferred moves' that the game hard codes to try and get them to operate like the player IRL and bring those elements to the role they're given. So in FM Firmino is going to be hard working and tricky regardless of what role you give him -- it mainly affects his starting position and shifts his tendencies but they'll still be carried out as Firmino would. I would often play a strikerless formation with Firmino as an AM (S) with a lot of PIs to emulate how he actually acts on the field...though a CF (S) would really be more of what he is, but at the moment I don't think he has the 'comes deep to get ball' PPM and I think that he operates more like an AM off the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->