Which prospects will make the NHL if a deal gets done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
For the Coyotes...Sjostrom is the only one with a real strong chance of making the team in 05 due to the Coyotes moves last offseason. In 05-06, a handful more such as LeNeveu, Taffe, Ballard, and Spiller will have decent chances, depending on their progress, who is still around next offseason, etc.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Chaos said:
Daley, Miettinen, Ellis for sure would be up with the Stars.....Ott as well, but he's not a prospect anymore.

Daley and Miettinen are most likely, for sure in Ott's case, don't know about Ellis though, he could use more seasoning IMO

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Clarke said he'd sign Carter and Richards if there's hockey this season and he's allowed to.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
For the Rangers:

Fedor Tyutin - definitely
Josef Balej - definitely
Thomas Pock - definitely
Garth Murray - definitely
Chad Wiseman - possibly
Max Kondratiev - possibly
Dominic Moore - possibly
Alexandre Giroux - possibly

CH Wizard

Some prospects , I think will play in the NHL(when the season will restart).

Ryan Getzlaf
Braydon Coburn
Horton/Bergeron , duh !
Alexander Ovechkin
Patrick O'Sullivan
Anton Babchuk
Fedor Tjutin
Ryan Kesler

As for the habs : Perezhogin , Hossa , Hainsey , Higgins , Pleks.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I think he can cut it in the NHL. I think he could use the challenge. He needs to work on his physical game.

I wouldn't say that many seem to have soured on him. Don't put too much stock into the overall opinion of this board or some posters on this board. Probably a lot of the biggest doubters don't even see him that often. He hasn't developed at the same pace of a guy like Phaneuf but that doesn't mean he won't be a very good defensemen in 5 years. I'm still quite high on him. Very good hockey sense, fantastic size/skating combo. He could be more assertive offensively, have more of a mean streak and add some strength. He should be able to work on all those things over the next few years.
Thanks for the report. I like what I've seen of him, albeit in brief, largely informal, settings. People just have seemed to have been down on him almost since he was drafted.

Don Waddell has said he'd be in the NHL right now if there was no lockout. I know he's signed, so that's not an issue. It will be interesting to see what might happen should a shortened season occur. At this point, I'm inclined to say just let him finish out the year in juniors, but maybe a little seasoning would be good for him heading into next year.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
some of these guys might be ready and the NHL team may want to bring them up, but guys in the CHL, especially guys like O'Sullivan, Carter, etc....I don't think they're going anywhere...even if something miraculous and magical were to happen and there actually is a season.

I'm trying to imagine the Mississauga Icedogs, for the remainder of the season, without O'Sullivan...and uhhhh....nope, I can't. They're one of the best teams in the OHL's Eastern Conference and are poised to at the very least defend their Eastern Conference title won last season. They're banking on O'Sullivan to lead the way. I just don't see any way in hell he'd leave the Icedogs in that position. I'm sure other OHL or CHL guys would feel the same way....especially Schremp or anyone else whose team is making a serious run at the OHL title,,,and is already a sure thing for going for the Mem Cup.

I honestly don't think those guys in particular - and others who may be in a similar situation -would leave their current team...even IF the option were suddenly available.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
I'm trying to imagine the Mississauga Icedogs, for the remainder of the season, without O'Sullivan...and uhhhh....nope, I can't. They're one of the best teams in the OHL's Eastern Conference and are poised to at the very least defend their Eastern Conference title won last season. They're banking on O'Sullivan to lead the way. I just don't see any way in hell he'd leave the Icedogs in that position. I'm sure other OHL or CHL guys would feel the same way....especially Schremp or anyone else whose team is making a serious run at the OHL title,,,and is already a sure thing for going for the Mem Cup.

I don't think it's up to the player or his CHL team whether he can stay or not.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
For the Wild:

Mikko Koivu, he's been doing well in the AHL and I think Lemaire and Co. are licking their chops to see him in the NHL

Patrick O'Sullivan, doing well and would fill a huge hole for Minnesota and that would be a gifted center that can play tight defense. His defense still needs tightening but he would probably be slotted in the wing position before moving back to center. But hopefully they'll keep him as a center after a few games at wing.

Brent Burns, another huge hole that would be filled for the Wild. A gifted, goal-scoring defenseman that can actually hit people. Would probably be eased into the top 4 depending on how good he comes along.

I can see Michalek, Reitz, and maybe Foy getting a call.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
The Blues are going to have to fill Mike Danton's spot and I could see Igor Valeev or DJ King getting a shot at that. Hopefully King.

Bacashiua, Sanford or Divis wil be the backup goalie

I dont Know If Matt Walker is still a prospect, but hopefully he or someone else takes Sasha Khavanov's spot.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Brown or Cammalleri; not both of them, though.

Gleason is almost a lock.

Grebeshkov should finish the season with the Monarchs, as should Lehoux.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
it may not be "up to them" as you said.....but I think they'd be allowed input, for sure. And I just don't see some of those guys being willing to ditch their OHL team at this point in the season.

Anyway, does anyone honestly think this is going to be an issue? :shakehead

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
The one name that catches my eye in this thread is O'Sullivan ... No question, he's a top-flight prospect, but NHL ready? Anyone here familiar enough with the Wild program care to speculate?

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Kari Lehtonen maybe?

Anyways, guys I really think are almost locks to play in the NHL are..

Phaneuf
Kesler
Carter
Getzlaf
Suter maybe
Fritsche
O'Sullivan
And if somehow Malkin and/or Ovechkin come accross to NA (which i think neither of them will do for at least a year or two), they are all but locks for their respective teams.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
gonzopher said:
The one name that catches my eye in this thread is O'Sullivan ... No question, he's a top-flight prospect, but NHL ready? Anyone here familiar enough with the Wild program care to speculate?

O'Sullivan can fill two very vital needs for Minnesota. He can score goals but he can also set up goals, which Minnesota desperately needs. I think Lemaire also believes that O'Sullivan has nothing really left to learn in the OHL (expect maybe winning a championship) and would like to bring him in as soon as possible to tighten up his defensive game.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
To be fair:

Gaborik is simply awesome but isn't consistant. It's actually not Minnesota's fault that they rushed him. He was simply a great prospect but still has a few flaws to his game. He is still young but has shown he can be an elite goal scorer in the NHL.

Bouchard, a lot of people say this was a mistake but hindsight is 20-20. When Bouchard was drafted, he put up over 100 points in the QMJHL. He simply dominated the play. But he couldn't be placed in the AHL, so the only way they can develop him was in the NHL. This was the flaw of the system, not Minnesota's fault.

Burns, yes but then again, Burns found out he didn't like the forward position all that greatly. If it wasn't for a rash of injuries, Burns would look like a mistake but he doesn't now.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I think the Wild are still afraid of some of O'Sullivan's personal baggage. I don't see him bringing him up to Minnesota - even IF he would be willing - and again, at this point in the Icedogs season, there's no way he's willing. If anything, I could see them bringing him up to the Aeros in the event the Aeros are in the Calder Cup playoffs, and IF the Icedogs finish their season by not getting into the OHL playoffs [...and I don't believe either one of those things are going to happen].

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
I know it's been stated already, but doesn't it seem more likely that prospects from the AHL will be the ones to get consideration in an extremely shortened season then guys from the NCAA's and the CHL? The talk of having a ten day window to throw together a team for physicals, then sign a large portion of them, and then a mini camp and then start the season makes me think only a select group of prospects will be invited to a camp.

Using MN-I think guys like Wanvig, Wallin, Michalek, etc. will be the type of player to get such invites. Mid level guys that have played some in the NHL already and have a few years of pro hockey under their belt. Not the Patrick O'Sullivan's of the world that havn't even been signed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad