Which of these players + contracts is the most valuable asset?

Choose 1 asset.

• Total voters

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Imagine you could choose 1 of these assets, but they come with the term and AAV listed. Assume that they will walk (or at least test UFA) once the contract is played out.

Which do you think is the most valuable asset?

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The defenseman Hughes 6 for 6.

With the assumption stipulated that the players will more than likely walk after the contract.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Assume they will walk at UFA or at least test UFA.
Even if McDavid said he wanted to talk to other teams to see what is out there, it's still the most valuable contract. Unless he flat out says he isn't re-signing, it's the most valuable.

If he were to say he wasn't re-signing, then it depends on if the same situation holds up for Makar, Matthews and Draisaitl. If you have to assume that any of these guys on one or two year deals has told their GM they aren't returning after their contracts are up, we can't consider them either, in which case I might lean towards Josi.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Even if McDavid said he wanted to talk to other teams to see what is out there, it's still the most valuable contract. Unless he flat out says he isn't re-signing, it's the most valuable.

If he were to say he wasn't re-signing, then it depends on if the same situation holds up for Makar, Matthews and Draisaitl. If you have to assume that any of these guys on one or two year deals has told their GM they aren't returning after their contracts are up, we can't consider them either, in which case I might lean towards Josi.
That second portion is why I went with the D Hughes. Best combination of term, money, position, age, on the list.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That second portion is why I went with the D Hughes. Best combination of term, money, position, age, on the list.
Hughes is probably a good bet as well. I went with Josi as he's at his peak right now. Hughes is certainly a decent option if we are basically forced into a long term deal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Caufield was so terrible to start the season, he’s not quite established. So Ehlers it is at $4mm per for 8 years. Otherwise Caufield would be my pick.

Also Caufield will sign for significantly more than a $4mm AAV. That’s a silly construct for his next deal. That’s bridge pricing on a full term deal. Wishful thinking.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Caufield was so terrible to start the season, he’s not quite established. So Ehlers it is at $4mm per for 8 years. Otherwise Caufield would be my pick.

Also Caufield will sign for significantly more than a $4mm AAV. That’s a silly construct for his next deal. That’s bridge pricing on a full term deal. Wishful thinking.
It's a silly construct, but IMO it's a useful one to help draw attention to the importance of contracts when evaluating value of players. A player can be heads and shoulders better on the ice, but if you can only guarantee one year...

I bet Calgary thought they had a valuable asset in Johnny G. In the end was it worth it to try and make a run with an unsigned superstar?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's a silly construct, but IMO it's a useful one to help draw attention to the importance of contracts when evaluating value of players. A player can be heads and shoulders better on the ice, but if you can only guarantee one year...
Term is highly valuable with guys paid below their market value. Like Devon Toews. Two years at $4.1mm is way more valuable than McDavid at 1 x $14mm that walks Connor into UFA. What’s better.

McDavid at $14mm for one year or D Toews + Ehlers + Caufield at a total of $12.1mm AAV with 18 years of contract certainty between them. It’s not even close.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Term is highly valuable with guys paid below their market value. Like Devon Toews. Two years at $4.1mm is way more valuable than McDavid at 1 x $14mm that walks Connor into UFA. What’s better.

McDavid at $14mm for one year or D Toews + Ehlers + Caufield at a total of $12.1mm with 18 years of contract certainty between them. It’s not even close.
Exactly. But how many people on this site will say "McJesus AINEC" without even thinking about what the question really is?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Exactly. But how many people on this site will say "McJesus AINEC" without even thinking about what the question really is?
Way too many. What has more value: Makar at $9mm AAV for the next five years of McDavid at $12.5mm for the next four?

Having Makar at $3.5mm less allows the Avs to resign a Landy instead of a Saad using that spread. It’s hugely helpful. Plus the extra year of term on that deal helps.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Gotta go 8 years here IMO.

Ehlers would be fantastic, but went with Sergachev given age. Having his entire prime locked up at $4 is too much value to pass up. Love Ekholm, but he’s too old to be a contender here. Caufield isn’t established enough for me.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Depends where my teams at. If I was trying to build, maybe Jack Hughes.

If I felt like my team there and just was one piece away from getting over the bump, i'd prob take the 2 years of Auston Matthews assuming it could work cap wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad