Which number did Malkin wear in Metallurg/WJC 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
Does anybody know why they switch their numbers for the tournaments? Like Ovechkin wore 32 for Dynamo and 8 for the tournaments, zherdev wore 93 and 13, Kovalchuk 71 and 17.

Deleted member 3032

brianhatesu said:
Does anybody know why they switch their numbers for the tournaments? Like Ovechkin wore 32 for Dynamo and 8 for the tournaments, zherdev wore 93 and 13, Kovalchuk 71 and 17.

Not that I really know, but I would guess that their number was taken on their league team. They were most likely the youngest player on their team, which basically means they get to pick their number from whatever is left over, usually.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Tanguay40 said:
Not that I really know, but I would guess that their number was taken on their league team. They were most likely the youngest player on their team, which basically means they get to pick their number from whatever is left over, usually.

Bingo.

Ovechkin's first choice has always been 8, Malkin's has always been 17, but both were taken when they joined their respective teams, and as rookies they don't have a say, so usually they just flip them(in Malkin's case) or give a random number.

Would have been weird if Malkin actually did wear #71, that would have to be the first time in history there would have been a battle on the same team for #71(Konstantin Koltsov currently wears it).

At the same time there's about 5 Pens prospects that wear #17...

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Most do in honor of a former Russian captain who's name escapes me right now.

Malkin wears the number because of him.

Valery Kharlamov, I believe.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Bingo

Evgeny Malkin, Guillaume Lefebvre, Ryan Stone, Stephen Dixon, Jonathan Filewich for sure. Not sure on alot of the Euros and new draft picks.

I thought Lefebvre wore #24, at least this season. I know he's worn #17 at WBS and #33 for awhile when he was called up to the 'burgh...Better question is when will he pick a number and stay there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->