Which new players will make the team out of Laval next year?

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
This year we had quite a few players make the team. I think you need at least one player becoming a regular on the team in any given year to fill the ranks.

This year we had:

Sherback
Mete
Juulsen
Hudon
Jacob De La Rose.

They all seem pretty assured to have a place in the lineup next year. That FIVE AHL players graduated in a single year - a fact I find impressive.

Next year I'm wondering who could potentially make the team from Laval? Likely our first round draft pick will make the team but who else?

Reilly?
McCarron?
Lindgren?
Froese?
Lernout?

Not sure about any of these players. Better hope for a lottery win.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not even sure all the guys that made the team this year will be back next year. Mete wasn't AHL eligible last year and between the challenges he had in the NHL and his injury, may be better off in the AHL to start. And if Montreal actually tries to address the C position, DLR also has to take a big step forward to stay in the NHL.

Lindgren might make it if they decide not to bring bakc Niemi. McCarron is further from the NHL than he has been in years past. Lernout isn't really close to the NHL.

Froese was probably better than DLR, but he's ideally not in the NHL either.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's much easier for rookies to make the team when the team isn't playing for anything. In 2012 we saw Mike Blunden, Louis Leblanc, and Aaron Palushaj play half the season. In 2016 we had guys like Andrighetto, JDLR, McCarron, and Carr look like they made the team. Most of these previews never developed into much. De la Rose is the only one still hanging onto the hope of becoming more than another borderline 4th-liner.

That said, Mete looks like the real deal, and there's reason to be hopeful about Scherbak and Juulsen.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
None. Also, Mete(now that he'll be eligible to play in the AHL) and Juulsen probably shouldn't play in the NHL next year, at least not until Christmas. Our first round pick probably will play some games(full season if we draft top 3), none of the Laval guys are NHLers.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
None. Also, Mete(now that he'll be eligible to play in the AHL) and Juulsen probably shouldn't play in the NHL next year, at least not until Christmas. Our first round pick probably will play some games(full season if we draft top 3), none of the Laval guys are NHLers.

Mete was our 3rd best Dman this year in my opinion. He's not struggling at all with NHL speed and execution. Leaving him to grow his game in the AHL is a luxury I don't think this team has right now.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Mete was our 3rd best Dman this year in my opinion. He's not struggling at all with NHL speed and execution. Leaving him to grow his game in the AHL is a luxury I don't think this team has right now.
It would be the smartest thing to do though. Mete needs top pairing minutes and hopefully experience the intensity there is in the playoffs. He's going to be eaten alive at the NHL level.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's much easier for rookies to make the team when the team isn't playing for anything. In 2012 we saw Mike Blunden, Louis Leblanc, and Aaron Palushaj play half the season. In 2016 we had guys like Andrighetto, JDLR, McCarron, and Carr look like they made the team. Most of these previews never developed into much. De la Rose is the only one still hanging onto the hope of becoming more than another borderline 4th-liner.

That said, Mete looks like the real deal, and there's reason to be hopeful about Scherbak and Juulsen.
I think Mete could use some more time in the AHL to be honest...

Scherbak & Juulsen *should* make the team with strong summers and good camps, they'd have to play their way off the team.

McCarron is going to make the team out of default like DLR did this past year, and they'll continue to slowly phase him in, with the hopes he sticks.

Lernout quietly was pretty effective down the stretch...depending on what MB does with the defense, I think he'll be back as the #7-8 and make the team out of camp.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It would be the smartest thing to do though. Mete needs top pairing minutes and hopefully experience the intensity there is in the playoffs. He's going to be eaten alive at the NHL level.

Nothing keeps him from playing top pairing minutes next year unless we somehow draft Dahlin. He's our best LD in my mind.

As I said, I'd have no issue letting him develop in the minors to get a lot of PP/PK minutes on top of being relied on in every situation. But he's good enough to be at the NHL level, I think he showed that this season. Unless the plan is to tank, he's going to be in the NHL. And I doubt Bergevin is looking for another lottery pick next year, for his own sake.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Nothing keeps him from playing top pairing minutes next year unless we somehow draft Dahlin. He's our best LD in my mind.

As I said, I'd have no issue letting him develop in the minors to get a lot of PP/PK minutes on top of being relied on in every situation. But he's good enough to be at the NHL level, I think he showed that this season. Unless the plan is to tank, he's going to be in the NHL. And I doubt Bergevin is looking for another lottery pick next year, for his own sake.

Do you think Mete was doing a good job cleaning up the front of the net (pucks and bodies) this year? He's good for the puck, he's simply no match for the bodies and that's a problem for a D.

He sure can skate in the NHL that's for sure, but we're talking about an offensive defenseman only (at least for now) who got 7 points in 49 games last year......nothing to say "Wow, he's the real deal". Reilly got 8 points in 19 games.

One good Summer at that age can change a lot of things but i would also vote to see him in Laval, round up his game a little and be the 1st call-up (which would be good for Habs' depth).

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Do you think Mete was doing a good job cleaning up the front of the net (pucks and bodies) this year? He's good for the puck, he's simply no match for the bodies and that's a problem for a D.

He sure can skate in the NHL that's for sure, but we're talking about an offensive defenseman only (at least for now) who got 7 points in 49 games last year......nothing to say "Wow, he's the real deal". Reilly got 8 points in 19 games.

One good Summer at that age can change a lot of things but i would also vote to see him in Laval, round up his game a little and be the 1st call-up (which would be good for Habs' depth).

Mete will never be the guy that moves out the big bodies from the blue paint. Hence why he stands to benefit the most from being paired with Weber, and vice-versa. They complete each other pretty well.

You could send him back to Laval for another 2 years, it won't make him gain 5 inch in height and 30 pounds in muscle. He's a small defenseman and he'll always have to cope with the drawbacks associated with that. He can still be effective in a variety of other ways.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Mete will never be the guy that moves out the big bodies from the blue paint. Hence why he stands to benefit the most from being paired with Weber, and vice-versa. They complete each other pretty well.

You could send him back to Laval for another 2 years, it won't make him gain 5 inch in height and 30 pounds in muscle. He's a small defenseman and he'll always have to cope with the drawbacks associated with that. He can still be effective in a variety of other ways.

No but he'll get stronger and learn how to take advantage of positionning. If Mete play next year in th NHL, it shouldn't be with Weber either because of that. Didn't wanted to be critical of the kids...but he's not "just not good" in front of the net...he's horrible, close to a non factor but that's normal for a kid his age and size. As i also said, a summer can change that.

7 points in 49 games doesn't scream first d-pairing at all....even if excellent in his own zone. Kid still got to earn it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No but he'll get stronger and learn how to take advantage of positionning. If Mete play next year in th NHL, it shouldn't be with Weber either because of that. Didn't wanted to be critical of the kids...but he's not "just not good" in front of the net...he's horrible, close to a non factor but that's normal for a kid his age and size. As i also said, a summer can change that.

7 points in 49 games doesn't scream first d-pairing at all....even if excellent in his own zone. Kid still got to earn it.
I don't know how much offensive upside Mete has...I don't see him purely as an offensive Dman.

He reminds me of, for many reason, Jared Spurgeon.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
This year we had quite a few players make the team. I think you need at least one player becoming a regular on the team in any given year to fill the ranks.

This year we had:

Sherback
Mete
Juulsen
Hudon
Jacob De La Rose.

They all seem pretty assured to have a place in the lineup next year. That FIVE AHL players graduated in a single year - a fact I find impressive.

Next year I'm wondering who could potentially make the team from Laval? Likely our first round draft pick will make the team but who else?

Reilly?
McCarron?
Lindgren?
Froese?
Lernout?

Not sure about any of these players. Better hope for a lottery win.

Scherback should start on the second line next year to give him a real chance
Mete Should go back AHL , hes not ready at all.
Juulsen needs to play more ice time and go AHL also.
Hudon is a 3rd liner and should stay on the line up with danault line
De La Rose , 4th line Center/13th Forward

For the others...
Reilly maybe 6th def/7th
McCarron should be traded or Stays in the AHL forever , no skills at all.
Lindgren should be backup goalie , because we all know that Niemi will suck next yeat if he get a new contract.
Froese = AHL player
Lernout = AHL player

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We need to see what direction this team goes in this off-season. What do they do. I highly doubt they go full rebuild, so the question becomes do they try and win next year what is what I think they will try to do. So then we need to see what moves are made. Here's who would be on the bubble,

DLR (RFA)
Scherbak
Carr (RFA)
Froese
waivers Shaw (RFA)
Juulsen
Mete
Rychel (RFA)
McCarron (RFA)
Valiev (RFA)
Lindgren
Lernout

Only Lindgren, Juulsen and Mete can go to the AHL without having to clear waivers.

I would think DLR and Scherbak are locks unless they have a really bad camp as I don't think they will clear waivers.

So in nets even if they bring Niemi back, doesn't mean that Lindgren wouldn't be the backup at some point. He could suck and get sent down, he could get traded if the Habs suck but he's playing well.

On defense I am always in favor of not rushing prospects. I don't like Mete/Juulsen in the NHL as I don't think they were ready. I think both need to improve their offensive game and I don't think the NHL is the place to do that. That said they are likely better then Benn, Alzner, Schlemko so the Habs could be in a tough spot of what to do. Benn can go to the AHL and hardly cost us anything against the cap.

Then there's Lernout/Valiev. Now we have to see what kind of contract do they get, or does someone like Valiev leave for the KHL? If we are going to suck, I'd rather do it with guys like Valiev and Lernout then Benn, Alzner and Schlemko.

At forward it's actually pretty crowded on the wing assuming Danault, Drouin are the top 2 centers. Until a trade is made, Pac, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Byron, Lehkonen, Hudon, Shaw, Scherbak all should be in the mix. Maybe Shaw drops to the 4th line but with Deslauriers and likely DLR, that leaves only 2 spots or 1 if they go 8 D but I don't think they will.

So McCarron, Carr, Froese, waivers Shaw, and Rychel would have to fight it out. So again, if we are going to suck, I would rather suck with McCarron, Carr, Rychel vs Froese and waivers Shaw. But with CJ I could easily see them preferring Froese/waivers Shaw.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DLR (RFA)
Scherbak
Carr (RFA)
Froese
waivers Shaw (RFA)
Juulsen
Mete
Rychel (RFA)
McCarron (RFA)
Valiev (RFA)
Lindgren
Lernout

Only Lindgren, Juulsen and Mete can go to the AHL without having to clear waivers.

So McCarron, Carr, Froese, waivers Shaw, and Rychel would have to fight it out. So again, if we are going to suck, I would rather suck with McCarron, Carr, Rychel vs Froese and waivers Shaw. But with CJ I could easily see them preferring Froese/waivers Shaw.

DLR and Scherbak are locks to make the club. Assuming Froese has the edge on the others for the reason you gave, what happens to the rest of those who have to clear waivers? How many are likely to be taken by other clubs if waived? How many of them would have some trading value such that they're not lost for nothing?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
DLR and Scherbak are locks to make the club. Assuming Froese has the edge on the others for the reason you gave, what happens to the rest of those who have to clear waivers? How many are likely to be taken by other clubs if waived? How many of them would have some trading value such that they're not lost for nothing?

Well it depends, does Pac get traded for picks/prospects? If so that frees up a spot. I think most would clear waivers. Maybe someone like Burke looks at McCarron as a 1st rounder with size and says let's take a shot on him or Lernout, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them clear waivers moreso Lernout as McCarron being a 1st rounder and 6'6 center might entice one of the old school GM's that want size over skill still. But you look at Rychel and he cleared waivers this year as a 1st rounder so sometimes it's just about timing and teams needs when you put said player on waivers. Don't see any of them having much trade value (not Scherbak/DLR since I agree that they should be locks to make the team)

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad