Which NCAA prospects will opt into the draft this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Anyone know if these NCAA prospects will opt into the draft this year?

Wes O'Neil
AJ Thelen
Drew Stafford

Any inklings on which way those three are leaning in terms of going into the draft?

DR. Holiday

Pachoo said:

Wes O'Neil
AJ Thelen
Drew Stafford

Any inklings on which way those three are leaning in terms of going into the draft?

From what I hear all three will likely opt in this year. Of the three the only one I can see not opting in is Stafford.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
DR. Holiday said:
From what I hear all three will likely opt in this year. Of the three the only one I can see not opting in is Stafford.

I wouldn't expect anyone to opt into the draft this year. You'd be to young to play in the AHL so why not stay in college (I would think the college to chl loop hole while be closed in the CBA). It seems the smart move.

p.s. I've got no inside information on this.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pachoo said:

Wes O'Neil
AJ Thelen
Drew Stafford

I have no inside info, but i would be surprised to see any of them leave, as they all play for good programs. Stafford is on one of the best teams in the NCAA and with the loss of Parise he will get a ton of ice time next year.

Thelen should be the top prospect in the NCAA, imo, so his loss to the draft would be big, but I'd hate to see him leave Michigan St. Him and Booth are fun to watch

O'Neil leaving would be kind of ironic since his coach is the one spearheading the drive to get the NCAA to change the rule.

Pineault some think could leave due to his less then stellar season, but that would be an interesting move. His rights are owned by Moncton, so he would help out them a lot, but I've heard that Moncton was upset by not getting Pineault due to some misimformation from a scout.

gkrangers

Mar 23, 2004
As long as you don't sign a Pro contract you're NCAA eligibility stays valid.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
gkrangers said:
As long as you don't sign a Pro contract you're NCAA eligibility stays valid.

not in the case of thelen, o'neill and stafford. due to their age, they must opt-in to this years draft or wait until next year. and as the current rules stand, if you opt-in to the draft then you forfeit your amateur status and college eligibility. unless the rule is changed, if those 3 are in the draft that means they have to leave school

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
sushinsky4tsar said:
Okay, I must be missing something here. Why exactly can't they opt in to the draft and then return for college? Did this rule change between this year and last :dunno:

its an exception to the rules cause they are still 17. when you are 18 you are automatically eligible for the draft. but at 17 you have the option to opt-in early or wait till the following year, and if you opt-in early you lose your amateur status

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
montreal said:
Pineault some think could leave due to his less then stellar season, but that would be an interesting move. His rights are owned by Moncton, so he would help out them a lot, but I've heard that Moncton was upset by not getting Pineault due to some misimformation from a scout.

less then stellar????....Pineault is a RC, had to play LW on the 4th line all season. Sat out 14 games because the coach thinks putting Boyle (6' 7") as a Full Back would help the teams lack of size. BC never gave Pineault a chance to show what he could do. A waste of top talent in my book. I attended a number of games and Pineaults passes and puck handling was excellent. When Pineault played his 4th linemates were scoring, when he sat out they didn't score. BC squandered Pineault's talent.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
JNRhockeyGURU said:
less then stellar????....Pineault is a RC, had to play LW on the 4th line all season. Sat out 14 games because the coach thinks putting Boyle (6' 7") as a Full Back would help the teams lack of size. BC never gave Pineault a chance to show what he could do. A waste of top talent in my book. I attended a number of games and Pineaults passes and puck handling was excellent. When Pineault played his 4th linemates were scoring, when he sat out they didn't score. BC squandered Pineault's talent.

From the only game I saw he didn't show much, but playing on the 4th line is tough to get things going. But I would say his season was less then stellar, considering he was at one time thought of as a top 10 pick and the top prospect in the NCAA.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
montreal said:
From the only game I saw he didn't show much, but playing on the 4th line is tough to get things going. But I would say his season was less then stellar, considering he was at one time thought of as a top 10 pick and the top prospect in the NCAA.

Two problems:

1) You only saw one game.

2) You seem to be glossing over the fact he was stuck on the 4th line on a very deep team. No one is going to shine under those circumstances.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
NYR469 said:
its an exception to the rules cause they are still 17. when you are 18 you are automatically eligible for the draft. but at 17 you have the option to opt-in early or wait till the following year, and if you opt-in early you lose your amateur status
For college kids, it's 18 and 19 respectively.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Won't players drafted this year be eligible for contracts under the current CBA? That would make me think that they would be more likely to opt in.

southpaw

Dec 31, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
2) You seem to be glossing over the fact he was stuck on the 4th line on a very deep team. No one is going to shine under those circumstances.

Explain this to me please...if the team is deep that means he should have higher skilled linemates, even if he is on the 4th line. Also...just because Adam "No Show" Pinault couldn't make an impact doesn't mean that other freshmen stuck on the 4th line of a deep team can't.

Chris Porter, F Fr. UND - 41gp 10g 15a 25pts 0.61ppg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Two problems:

1) You only saw one game.

Well if they had played him more I would have seen him more. Yes it's only one game, but it's better then never seeing him play. My opinion means nothing anyways, so it's no big deal.

Any line your on you have to work hard and try and create, I didn't see that, but hopefully I get to see him more next year.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Some more on the "opt-in" rule...unless I'm mistaken, the problem for 17 year olds is if they are enrolled in college and opt into the draft, then they are no longer college-eligible...however, if they opt in before they enroll in college, it's no problem, they're still eligible...silly rule which should be changed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad