Which National TV Network Did The Best With The NHL?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Since the NHL signed with the FOX Network to prodce NHL games nationally in late 1994, the NHL has bounced around networks from FOX, ABC, and now on NBC with little success rating rise and growing the game nationally. Now which of these networks did the best job in production of their NHL coverage and marketing their games around their respective networks.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
FOX. Laugh all you want at the glow puck, it created a buzz. They also put alot of effort into their broadcasts. I remember the FOX time fondly.

RTWAP*

The NHL is pretty strong on many of the Fox RSNs. I wonder if Fox will ever try to start a competitor to ESPN. Maybe they should buy into Versus.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
FOX. Laugh all you want at the glow puck, it created a buzz. They also put alot of effort into their broadcasts. I remember the FOX time fondly.

And FOX had 7/11 as a sponsor, so their stores had all kinds of NHL stuff.

Now in So Cal, there is no NHL presence at all, even with the Ducks winning the Cup.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
FOX

The numbers speak for themselves. The NHL's highest all-time TV ratings were on FOX.

They actually promoted the league and created buzz. The coverage, although gimmicky, was good as well.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Nope couldn't find anymore ones on YouTube, but i asked the guy who put the Owen Nolan clips in HF he had anymore NHL On FOX clips, still waiting for a reply.

Edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHu4RqHTvB4

You will see Roenick score a goal against the Sabres on FOX

That's actually a game broadcast in the early days of FOX Sports Net's takeover from Sportschannel, when FSN had the same graphics.

Technically not on FOX, but still a rememberance of what used to be.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
The NHL is pretty strong on many of the Fox RSNs. I wonder if Fox will ever try to start a competitor to ESPN. Maybe they should buy into Versus.

Wish they would- I agree they actually tried to put something into their broadcasts. I know ESPN is not included in the survey but for most of the years they had good solid coverage and with Panger, Melrose and Bucci they had some solid broadcasts and of course NHL2nite was great (when it was shown at the times it was listed)-ha.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
That's actually a game broadcast in the early days of FOX Sports Net's takeover from Sportschannel, when FSN had the same graphics.

Technically not on FOX, but still a rememberance of what used to be.

How are you sure that Sabres-Coyotes wasn't on FOX unless you have NHL On FOX schedules from 1994-1999.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad