Which league was higher scoring this season?

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
OHL ... 5080 goals, 68-game season, 20 teams = 7.471 GPG
QMJHL ... 4669 goals, 70-game season, 18 teams = 7.411 GPG
WHL ... 4195 goals, 72-game season, 20 teams = 5.826 GPG

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
Vman said:
Any reason for the differences? Why is the WHL more low scoring?

Because they play harder...not effortwise, but like toughness. Its a lot more grind and grit in the WHL. Players like Gilbert Brule excel in that, however players who don't go into traffic and play super soft normally don't become much of anything. Of course there are always a few of these type of players in the Q, more in the O, but the majority of players along these lines are from the West. "Sutter" players are all over the Dub.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Corona-12 said:
Because they play harder...not effortwise, but like toughness. Its a lot more grind and grit in the WHL.
I kind of agree. I remember watching the first match up between Quebec and Moncton in the 06 Memorial Cup and there wasn't much hitting or fighting.
Vancouver vs Peterborough on the other hand was completely different. All of the Vancouver players were finishing their checks which caused the Peterborough players to start hitting too. I remember some big fights too.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Vman said:
I kind of agree. I remember watching the first match up between Quebec and Moncton in the 06 Memorial Cup and there wasn't much hitting or fighting.
Vancouver vs Peterborough on the other hand was completely different. All of the Vancouver players were finishing their checks which caused the Peterborough players to start hitting too. I remember some big fights too.
Skill and grit beat toughness and fighting...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Impressed with the "Q" teams this year...

as in past years the Q teams were:
- smaller
- had generally only 1 go to line of horses
- relied on goaltending too much
- team defense was a new discovery

This years teams had:
- a good mix of upper end skill & speed with balance of grit throughout their lineups
- team defense was well coached on both teams - not having to think about it,
just instinctive
- good size on both Q teams

Keep it up Q, Canadian hockey just gets deeper and better.

I like the Canadian national anthem when it is done billingual. :clap:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
sec17 said:
If I got a dime for every person who's posted a blatant and fact-free misconception about the Q on HF, I could buy a Q expansion team.

So true...
Fact is the Q has been just as strong a league as the other 2 for quite some time now.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Fozz said:
So true...
Fact is the Q has been just as strong a league as the other 2 for quite some time now.

I would argue since about 1996 or so. Since then the Q has either won the Memorial Cup or been in the finals every year except 1998 and 1999. That's a way, way better rate than the O or W.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Steve Bernier is a perfect example of a player who dispels the myth of the Q in recent years.A player who broke into the league with tremendous offensive talent at a young age but was taught to be more defensive and a better 2 way player. So far he has had a tremendous start to his NHL career and fits into the game on the physical gritty level very well.

Another real gritty 2 way prospect/player from the Q is Maxime Talbot.I think he will be a great "traditional" style 2 way player in the league.

Last edited:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
rival said:
The WHL not adopting the no tolerance obstruction rules is the biggest difference.

Fozz said:
From the games I have seen, there was a lot more clutching and grabbing in the WHL then the other 2 leagues.

Yeah, for some reason the WHL actually wants to be low scoring and stifle offensive creativity. If they don't adjust their rules, eventually scouts will have to assess if WHL prospects will be able to adjust to the pro game AND the pro rules.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
sec17 said:
I would argue since about 1996 or so. Since then the Q has either won the Memorial Cup or been in the finals every year except 1998 and 1999. That's a way, way better rate than the O or W.

You can't judge a league by own it fairs in the Memorial cup. That's just not a big enough sample of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad