Better JETS Team on Paper

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
3 different era:

Looking at just the team's line up for that year, which team looks better and if they play head to head who will win the best of 7 series?

NOTE: just look at that year and don't consider that Selanne and Tkachuk will eventually score more than 500 goals. And Dale Hawerchuk will score that many points in his career.

Which team is better at

Forward
Defence
Goalie
Overall

Which line is the best
Which defensive pairing is the best

TEAM

1984 - 1985
Hawerchuk
Steen
Boschman
Wilson
Mclean
Arniel
McBain
Neil
Mullen
Smail
Turnbull
Lundholm
Lukowich
Pooley

Babych
caryle
Ellett
Picard
Watters
Kyte
campbell

Hayward
Behrend

1992 - 1993

Zhamnov
Steen
Borsato
Eagles
Selanne
Davydov
Druce
Domi
Tkachuk
Shannon
Olyzck
King
Borsato
Barnes

Housley
Olausson
Numminen
Bautin
Ulanov
Kennedy
Lalor

Essensa
Tabaracci

2017 - 2018

Schiefele
Little
Lowry
Petan
Wheeler
Ehlers
Armia
Dano
Laine
Perrault
connor
copp
Hendrick
Matthias

Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Morrissey
Enstrom
Kulikov
Poolman

Mason
Hellybuyck

Reactions: RRenegade

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
76-77 W.H.A Jets........... If Hull/Nilson and Hedberg can whoop The Russian Red Army team and inspire a new hybrid way to play hockey in N.A. ......... they could find a way to win a 7 game series against these 3 era of Jet teams.

Reactions: ShooTer44

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
1984-85 Jets really were a one year wonder. Other than acquiring Randy Carlyle in March 1984, the Jets did not look that impressive. Other than Hawerchuk having a career year, and an amazing six Jets finishing with over 30 goals, there was not too much that was special about the team, and they reverted back to mediocity in 1985-86. However, I'll never forget as a young child, watching them set the hockey world on fire for the last 1/4 of the season, going 13-1-3, and beating out the Flames in the last weekend of the season.

The 1992-93 Jets were impressive on paper. I can recall an issue of the Hockey News ranking the Jets #1 (Red Wings #2), when it came to prospects. Selanne, Tkachuk, and Zhamnov all would go on to become stars after outstanding rookie seasons. The Domi/King acquisition helped the team immensely. Housley, Numminen, Ulanov, and Olausson gave us defensive star power. Essensa played well, after coming off a career year in 1991-92. Stu Barnes and Kris Draper would breakout into star players in the near future. If we could have kept the 92-93 roster intact, I have no doubt the Jets would have eventually challenged for the Conference title, but unfortunately the inability to afford to keep some of our star players, and Mike Smith's horrible drafting in the 90s, and personal feud with Housley derailed what could have been the start of a dominant 90s team.

Having said that, the 17-18 Jets have been great on paper, but I am still not convinced we have adequate coaching, and goaltending. If we manage to improve the special teams, and avoid key injuries, I have no doubt the Jets can battle for a top 3 spot in the Central.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
...if they play head to head who will win the best of 7 series?

If this is the scenario, and not which of these teams is better in comparison to their peers, then I'll take the current version of the team hands down. It's always difficult to do these historical comparison, but if you were to drop the three teams at their peak on the ice and said "Go!", the conditioning and training of the current Jets would make it a pretty easy contest for them.

If it was a comparison against their peers, then things are much more cloudy, and I'd probably choose the 92-93 Jets.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Even though the thread says on paper , I can’t unsee the 84-85 team which had several 30 goal scorers.
This roster currently has potential but I can’t see the offensive stats being as spread out especially with Maurice’s penchant for running 2x 4th lines

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
76-77 W.H.A Jets........... If Hull/Nilson and Hedberg can whoop The Russian Red Army team and inspire a new hybrid way to play hockey in N.A. ......... they could find a way to win a 7 game series against these 3 era of Jet teams.

The Jets defeated the Soviets on January 5, 1978. So it happened in the 1977-78 season. What most people do not realize is that the New England Whalers and Quebec Nordiques had beaten the Soviets a year before. The Whalers defeated the Soviets 5-2 on Dec.27, 1976 while the Nordiques defeated the Soviets 6-1 on January 8, 1977.

Otherwise, the NHL Jets were superior to the WHA Jets, since the WHA may have had star players, but did not have the depth to compete with the NHL teams of the 80s and 90s.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The Jets defeated the Soviets on January 5, 1978. So it happened in the 1977-78 season. What most people do not realize is that the New England Whalers and Quebec Nordiques had beaten the Soviets a year before. The Whalers defeated the Soviets 5-2 on Dec.27, 1976 while the Nordiques defeated the Soviets 6-1 on January 8, 1977.

Otherwise, the NHL Jets were superior to the WHA Jets, since the WHA may have had star players, but did not have the depth to compete with the NHL teams of the 80s and 90s.

Pretty sure the WHA Jets were the first North American Club team to beat the Russian National Team. The Whalers & Nordiques beat CSKA Moskow. You've been corrected on making this statement in the past. Why repeat making a statement you've admitted to be wrong about previously?

Here's you admitting your mistake 30 months ago...

Jets4Life in April, 2015
"What I meant to say, was that IMO, the Red Army team and the Soviet National team had more or less the same roster..."

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Two Borsatos on that 1992-1993 lineup makes it a no brainer
I did.put 2 borsatos :)

Its probably because that 1992 team had star power but had No depth.
I was trying to find a 14th forward and not many played that much game.
Also 1984 had fire power but depth was an issue.

If schiefele laine and ehlers can match match power for power vs
Zhamnov and hawerchuk lines,
The current team is better, but too see is to believe this year.

The depth of the forward and even defense of the team is good. If Lowry is to slot at 4th line and score 15(goals) and copp 10. Then this team is going somewhere.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
On paper I have to say the 92-93 Jets. LOTS of scoring, a really great top 3 D and the best goaltending of the bunch.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We've established quite a long legacy of underachievement. Maybe because we've never had an elite coaching staff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad