OT: Which is worse: Andi Petrillo (TSN) or Colby Armstrong (HC)

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Andi

Yep, Andi only has that job because she's a woman.

Well, basically, yes.

I mean, I get that"beautiful people" with little to no knowledge (pretty/handsome card readers) get a spot on TV ... and it's a rare one indeed where you have both (Jennifer Hedger comes to mind, but I don't know if she's still on TV - been off cable for years). But it's a long standing double standard for sports news, the need for a pretty female face (and other parts) to boost ratings ... and they do get boosted, I get it, it works.

But for a radio broadcast - ok, it's often streamed/put on TV too, but the majority audience at NOON is radio folks - you should have very good to great knowledge for a hockey show you are hosting in Toronto. This isn't TB, c'mon...we all know our hockey here, you have to be deep into it and bring something to the table. Other than constantly interrupting people and never answering a direct question properly.

That's not a sexist opinion, it would be my take on anyone who I felt lacked speaking skill, eloquence and fluidity, and/or knowledge of the subject at hand.

Real equality for female hosts should be holding them to the same standard as their male counterparts.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Andi is there for gender diversity, otherwise she doesn't add much. Colby is meh as well.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Ok, hot take on Lansberg...

The guy goes on about how hes an advocate for mental health etc.. then a commercial comes on for his favourite energy drink.

Does he understand what those things can do to those who have anxiety disorders? in this respect he's full of shit.

OntheBeach

May 25, 2015
Ask yourself this: if Andi was a guy, same knowledge level, etc - would that guy even have a job on sports radio, nevermind one as prestigious as Leafs Lunch?

There's your answer.

And the answer is yes if Andi was a guy she would absolutely have that job b/c 99% of the hosts on TSN or Sporstnet radio aren't experts.

For the most part, they're all varying degrees of fans and you're assuming that she is uninformed b/c she's female.

I totally disagree with the ridiculous contention that a hockey talk show host on the RADIO doesn't need to be informed or an "expert". I find this attitude towards female sports hosts demeaning and sexist, in a sort of reverse way than it usually presents itself.

Hayes, Millard, Duthie, Landsberg, Scott MacArthur, Bob McCown, Tim and Sid, Jeff Blair, etc - none of them are experts and I'd even argue most of them have some pretty awful/uninformed opinions but you assume they're experts because why?

The role of the host is to control the show (no dead air, lob soft balls to the 'experts', keep the conversation going, etc) and I think she does solid job.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I
Well, basically, yes.

I mean, I get that"beautiful people" with little to no knowledge (pretty/handsome card readers) get a spot on TV ... and it's a rare one indeed where you have both (Jennifer Hedger comes to mind, but I don't know if she's still on TV - been off cable for years). But it's a long standing double standard for sports news, the need for a pretty female face (and other parts) to boost ratings ... and they do get boosted, I get it, it works.

But for a radio broadcast - ok, it's often streamed/put on TV too, but the majority audience at NOON is radio folks - you should have very good to great knowledge for a hockey show you are hosting in Toronto. This isn't TB, c'mon...we all know our hockey here, you have to be deep into it and bring something to the table. Other than constantly interrupting people and never answering a direct question properly.

That's not a sexist opinion, it would be my take on anyone who I felt lacked speaking skill, eloquence and fluidity, and/or knowledge of the subject at hand.

Real equality for female hosts should be holding them to the same standard as their male counterparts.

Disagree. I dont think Andi is there only for gender diversity or because she attractive. Shes there because TSN has a lack of really good radio talent.

I dont particularly like Andi for reasons I have stated above, but shes as good as most of the rest of TSN radios talent. Id rather listen to her then Gareth Wheeler or Matt Cauz for example.

Reactions: iSophagus

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Andi isn't awful, but she obviously has been a Toronto darling around here, the fact that she's gorgeous might influence people. Colby has lost me, though.

Yeah - I think people tend to really favor her because it's a cool story; Leafs fan, started with Leafs TV, covering her favorite team, and now has gone onto bigger and better things with more exposure.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I totally disagree with the ridiculous contention that a hockey talk show host on the RADIO doesn't need to be informed or an "expert". I find this attitude towards female sports hosts demeaning and sexist, in a sort of reverse way than it usually presents itself.

Ask yourself this: if Andi was a guy, same knowledge level, etc - would that guy even have a job on sports radio, nevermind one as prestigious as Leafs Lunch?

There's your answer.

She's recognizable amongst Leafs fans, has a soothing voice, and knows hockey/Leafs.

She's also covered hockey / the Leafs for a long time.

I think her being a woman has something to do with her hiring, but it's not the only factor. Far from it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Andi has worked hard enough to get where she has today, and deservedly so. But I think it's naive to believe that her being a female didn't have any influence. And by any, I mean a small factor, not the primary one.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Have you listened to the rest of TSNs radio lineup? There are absolutely worse hosts on there, who have less experience and credentials in sports media.

There's your answer.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Andi is better looking so I'll go with Colby that is worse. :naughty:

I don't have a problem with either though so it comes down to more eye pleasing for me.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Ya, if Matt Cauz can have a radio gig, it's not a stretch to say an ugly, male Andi P couldn't land the same gig.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I

Disagree. I dont think Andi is there only for gender diversity or because she attractive. Shes there because TSN has a lack of really good radio talent.

I dont particularly like Andi for reasons I have stated above, but shes as good as most of the rest of TSN radios talent. Id rather listen to her then Gareth Wheeler or Matt Cauz for example.

Well, there's nothing I need to say in this thread. You just took the letters right from under my fingers.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Andi knows shockingly little about the game considering how long she's been in broadcasting. Just today she was unclear about all the controversy surrounding Pronger when he started working for the league. Someone in the biz needs to keep abreast of what goes on in the NHL.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I always liked Colby as a player for the Leafs, brought great personality. He was pretty cringe worthy when he first started on HC, however has gotten much better. That said, he is just too recent of a plug from a bad Leafs team for me to take him seriously when he is critiquing the play of players far better than he was.

Anyways, I think he's just warming up the seat for Dangle....

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
She's good looking, cmon now.

Andi is a polished TV host with less than ideal knowledge about hockey. Colby is a dumpster fire.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I liked Andi better with her real skin colour and hair colour , but I digress..

Wheeler is pretty bad, I mean BLOW YOUR NOSE, MAN!

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Have you listened to the rest of TSNs radio lineup? There are absolutely worse hosts on there, who have less experience and credentials in sports media.

Ok, I'm sure it should be easy to name these other hosts then, who host a popular sports proram in the prime midday spot, with the chief subject the sport of the town that is treated like religion and dissected and discussed endlessly by a very knowledgeable fanbase. And those other male hosts have a very cursory knowledge of the subject they are headlining to discuss, in this noontime slot.

Would love to see a name, sure. Go ahead.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ok, I'm sure it should be easy to name these other hosts then, who host a popular sports proram in the prime midday spot, with the chief subject the sport of the town that is treated like religion and dissected and discussed endlessly by a very knowledgeable fanbase. And those other male hosts have a very cursory knowledge of the subject they are headlining to discuss, in this noontime slot.

Would love to see a name, sure. Go ahead.

Scott MacArthur, Ben Ennis, JD Bunkis off the top of my head. Thankfully Macko and Cauz are gone, they were terrible.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Scott MacArthur, Ben Ennis, JD Bunkis off the top of my head. Thankfully Macko and Cauz are gone, they were terrible.
Can't recall a JD Bunkis, but ... a big HUNH?!? On the other names. All those guys have better knowledge, and literally zero of them have been given the title of midday Leafs talk host. Cauz, as annoying and inane he could be, he HAS good knowledge of the game. He knows his stats, is what I should say. But he always had the "in between" spot, the radio wasteland of 9-11am where you literally have a dozen truckers and a salesman listening to you and that's it. And Cauz was moved for being annoying.

MacArthur is a sharp dude, no idea how you could possibly think of comparing him to Petrillo. You may not like him - kind of a "meh" for me, but I get it - but hockey knowledge? He's on it.

Been Ennis - another guy I also dislike in terms of personality ...but knows his stuff, more a baseball guy if I remember. And never hosted a noontime Leafs talk spot under his name, only talking Leafs, yet somehow was always the least knowledgeable person sharing an opinion.

Still looking for a name.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
And the answer is yes if Andi was a guy she would absolutely have that job b/c 99% of the hosts on TSN or Sporstnet radio aren't experts.

For the most part, they're all varying degrees of fans and you're assuming that she is uninformed b/c she's female.

Hayes, Millard, Duthie, Landsberg, Scott MacArthur, Bob McCown, Tim and Sid, Jeff Blair, etc - none of them are experts and I'd even argue most of them have some pretty awful/uninformed opinions but you assume they're experts because why?

The role of the host is to control the show (no dead air, lob soft balls to the 'experts', keep the conversation going, etc) and I think she does solid job.

Wow. Where to start ...
Sigh. Maybe I should just not waste my energy here, but ... have to say, pretty hilarious how you tell me not to make assumptions on someone's knowledge for a radio host (Newsflash: I listen to them, hear their words/opinions, and judge their knowledge base from...their words)
Host of LEAFS LUNCH should have more than"softball questions" to be named the host. They should be prepared every day with lots of LEAF knowledge. But maybe that's just me.

And after you accuse me of assuming things, you assume I think all these other random are experts... classic. Without me ever having said anything about the people you mention (smost of which have double the hockey knowledge of Petrillo, but none have ever hosted a noontime talk show in their name.

Reactions: therealkoho

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Might be in the minority here but I like Colby. I think he could be better but is held back by the pg nature of mainstream sports coverage.

Can’t stand Andi at all. She acts like she’s hungover pretty much everytime I watch. Boring, minimal enthusiasm and she knows next to nothing. But in her defence O’Neal and noodles carried that show in the past and their switch to overdrive is the main reason the show sucks now.

I realize Leafs lunch is for radio, but it would be nice if they would do some replays and more in depth analysis of the actual game. I can read and don’t care to spend an hour listening to lazy narratives which basically amount to an oral report of the boxscore. If anyone is familiar with the systems breakdowns that Justin Bourne used to do for the score (maybe he still does for the athletic?), I’d love to see them do some of those. Shouldn’t be too difficult for former NHLers to pick out a handful of interesting plays from the game and breaking them down. It would be 100 times better than Andi pointing out that throwing a pizza into the slot isn’t a good play.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Hey, just curious if anyone has found a link to the Garry Claus song? It was played a couple days ago (on overdrive) and it's hilarious. Garry is always gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad