OT: Which is worse: Andi Petrillo (TSN) or Colby Armstrong (HC)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I like Andi. She does a good enough job. And her voice is easy on the ears, unlike many others who grace the Toronto airwaves.

The thing working against Andi is she is being held to the standard of the former iteration of Leafs Lunch. Which is completely out of her control.

^ This.

It's not Andi's fault that she isn't Bryan Hayes and the O'Dog

Reactions: Anthrax442

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Andi isn't awful, but she obviously has been a Toronto darling around here, the fact that she's gorgeous might influence people. Colby has lost me, though.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I like Andi but she needs to take a step back often and just learn from the "hockey people"

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Andi isn't awful, but she obviously has been a Toronto darling around here, the fact that she's gorgeous might influence people.
I just started to listen to Leafs Lunch this season, and I've really liked Andi as host of the show. Don't think I've ever seen a picture of her before this thread, so that's not a factor for me.

Mike Johnson is a treasure, love listening to him talk hockey. Knowledgeable, curious, and intelligent. Very good at getting that across too. Weaver really isn't a fit for radio, even though I respect his experience. Always liked him as a player too.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Well as long as you like her:help: can anybody say misogynist.

Stop with the overly sensitive SJW crap. Why does his opinion on her skills (or lack there of) make him a "misogynist"? If she isn't particularly good at her job, then why not hire someone else who would make for a better moderator on that show? Male or FEMALE?...

Reactions: The Rat King

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
No I only heard them talk about personal food poisoning stories for 15 minutes then tuned out.

Really on topic. Great analysis.

That was a strange part of the show. Like many I like Andi as well. Not for her knowledge but it is just a good change up from Hayes (who is likely the best on TSN radio).

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Count me among the people who like Andy, I find she asks the right questions and has a good voice for the gig.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I'm okay with Leafs Lunch and I do like Andi, but shes got some quirks that kind of annoy me. Like when she asks a question to a guest, then before they can even answer she starts rambling off more setup context for the question when the initial question was all that was really needed, I guess trying to play up her knowledge of the situation.

Andi: "Should Babcock play _____ tonight?"

Guest: "Well, I..."

Andi: "Because Babcock has already said _____ and he likes what _____ brings to the lineup, but _____ was also good the last time he was up he _____... and we know _____ can score goals but _____ can play better defensively, and..."

Guest: *waiting, wondering if his original answer makes any sense anymore*

Andi: "...so you do play _____ because he was good at _____ or maybe you want to get another look at _____ because he is playing well with the Marlies or does Babcock stick with _____ because _____? I guess what I'm getting at is should Babcock play _____?"

Guest: "Oh, the question is over? Uh... yes Babcock should play _____"

Overdrive is the best though, it's the only one I'll download to listen to later. I listen to LL if it's on live and I'm doing stuff around the house but I don't go out of my way to look for it like I do Overdrive. Hayes/O-Dog/Noodles have great banter and know their sports.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I just started to listen to Leafs Lunch this season, and I've really liked Andi as host of the show. Don't think I've ever seen a picture of her before this thread, so that's not a factor for me.

Mike Johnson is a treasure, love listening to him talk hockey. Knowledgeable, curious, and intelligent. Very good at getting that across too. Weaver really isn't a fit for radio, even though I respect his experience. Always liked him as a player too.

Couldn’t agree more about Johnson, Weaver stumbles and bumbles but I think he has promise and is just beginning,once he gets more comfortable his pleasant demeanour and journeyman experience can make him a asset. Andy Chiodo also has some promise.
Andi has as much knowledge and credibility as any host. My problem with her is she slips into talking about herself far too frequently. It reaches heights when Miller, Button or other cohosts start teasing/egging her on and it becomes unlistenable. Other shows talk about their personal lives but usually are brief and self deprecating. Landesberg is the only other host who seems to enjoy talking about himself as much as Andi and I don’t listen to that show at all anymore.
The minute the start the perky feisty Andi stuff starts I’m out.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Colby reminds me too much of Pee-Wee Herman....O-Dog needs to look in the mirror when he gets dressed.....Give it to the girl

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I totally disagree with the ridiculous contention that a hockey talk show host on the RADIO doesn't need to be informed or an "expert". I find this attitude towards female sports hosts demeaning and sexist, in a sort of reverse way than it usually presents itself.

Ask yourself this: if Andi was a guy, same knowledge level, etc - would that guy even have a job on sports radio, nevermind one as prestigious as Leafs Lunch?

There's your answer.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That was a strange part of the show. Like many I like Andi as well. Not for her knowledge but it is just a good change up from Hayes (who is likely the best on TSN radio).
They just kept going on about it, like I really care about when they threw up from bad food. Everyone does at one point or another, FFS

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Hockey Central is way better with Marek as the host.

Andi is just OK. She needs to stop playing the "stop teasing me" role every day though. I think she's qualified enough for the job.

Mike Weaver: yikes. I think he's there as a personal favour from someone high up.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Marek is great, but he was far better on his podcast. Its a shame they had to end it when Wyshynski went to ESPN.

Hockey Central is way better with Marek as the host.

Andi is just OK. She needs to stop playing the "stop teasing me" role every day though. I think she's qualified enough for the job.

Mike Weaver: yikes. I think he's there as a personal favour from someone high up.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Andi is fine, her co-hosts are just bad. Poulin, Miller, POS and now a bunch of zero charisma ex-NHLers.

Make it Petrillo + Mike Johnson + hot take artist and the show will be fine.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Andi
I totally disagree with the ridiculous contention that a hockey talk show host on the RADIO doesn't need to be informed or an "expert". I find this attitude towards female sports hosts demeaning and sexist, in a sort of reverse way than it usually presents itself.

Ask yourself this: if Andi was a guy, same knowledge level, etc - would that guy even have a job on sports radio, nevermind one as prestigious as Leafs Lunch?

There's your answer.
Yep, Andi only has that job because she's a woman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->