Which is the star densest city/town in each Hockey nation?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Which is the city or town who has raised the most NHL superstars per capita in each of the Hockey nations?

A criteria is that should have raised at least 2 superstars since 1 guy from a very small village can make the density a bit skewed.

In Sweden, I would claim that it is Örnsköldsvik.
Town population is ~27500 and the town has raised: Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Daniel & Henrik Sedin, Victor Hedman and Anders Hedberg. Anders probably had his best years in the WHA but I chose to include him. Linus Ullmark, who might be considered a superstar after this season, is unfortunately born 1 hour from the city.

In Finland I think it's Tampere? But some of you Finnish guys can probably correct this and know which guys to include.

I've heard about Cole Harbour in Canada. But it seems odd that it would be the densest considering how many great Canadian Hockey players there are.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In current times most star Canadian players come from sizable cities or surrounding suburbs. Or, they move there to play around high-school age. GTA is unlikely to be the densest, but outside maybe goaltending they could put out a team that could compete strongly at the international stage (if subtracted from Canada). Just some names McDavid, Marner, Tavares, Stamkos, Hyman, Kyrou, J. Skinner, Toffoli, Robert Thomas, Wilson, Seguin, Domi, Pietrangelo, D. Hamilton, Giordano, Bouchard, Power, etc.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kladno (pop. 68,000) in Czechia has produced a teamful of Stanley Cup, World, and Olympic champions including many of the country's biggest hockey legends like Jaromír Jágr, Milan Nový, and František Pospíšil.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Which is the city or town who has raised the most NHL superstars per capita in each of the Hockey nations?

A criteria is that should have raised at least 2 superstars since 1 guy from a very small village can make the density a bit skewed.

In Sweden, I would claim that it is Örnsköldsvik.
Town population is ~27500 and the town has raised: Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Daniel & Henrik Sedin, Victor Hedman and Anders Hedberg. Anders probably had his best years in the WHA but I chose to include him. Linus Ullmark, who might be considered a superstar after this season, is unfortunately born 1 hour from the city.

In Finland I think it's Tampere? But some of you Finnish guys can probably correct this and know which guys to include.

I've heard about Cole Harbour in Canada. But it seems odd that it would be the densest considering how many great Canadian Hockey players there are.
Norway: Oslo, without discussion.

Mats Zuccarello is from Oslo.
Patrick Thoresen also born in Oslo was a superstar in KHL, but had a short NHL career(3 years).
Espen Knutsen also from Oslo. Colombus blue jackets.

Interesting though that swedish small towns produces lots of stars, while in Norway 90-95% of our national team comes from within 1 hour drive from the capital Oslo. I'm sure we have unrealised potential in Norway if we can build hockey rinks in smaller towns as well.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Norway: Oslo, without discussion.

Mats Zuccarello is from Oslo.
Patrick Thoresen also born in Oslo was a superstar in KHL, but had a short NHL career(3 years).
Espen Knutsen also from Oslo. Colombus blue jackets.

Interesting though that swedish small towns produces lots of stars, while in Norway 90-95% of our national team comes from within 1 hour drive from the capital Oslo. I'm sure we have unrealised potential in Norway if we can build hockey rinks in smaller towns as well.

Zuccarello lived in Örnsköldsvik for a couple of years. Maybe it's the local water?

Örnsköldsvik raised a few more NHLers aswell, the ones I mentioned now was only the ones that became real stars.

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
I would think in the US its gotta be the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan region or the Boston region. But the fact is a lot of youth players with potential end up moving to Minnesota or Boston to increase their chances of becoming professional.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
malmö

carl söderberg, andre burakovsky
Lol.

Örnsköldsvik, Gävle, Skellefteå is probably swedens answer.

Örnsköldsvik : Forsberg, Näslund (Husum though, just outside Örnsköldsvik), D Sedin, H Sedin, A Hedberg, N Sundström, Hans Johnsson (long time ago, D on Pittsburgh), Anders Eriksson, Mattias Timander, Victor Hedman, Lars Molin (70s D).

Thats four players that had won Hart or Lindsay, three players that has won Art Ross.

Easily Trenčín from Slovakia - around 60 000 population and Hossa, Gaborik, Chara, Demitra and many other great players were born there
Hockey was until 90s, a woeking class sport. Seems like the small cities, where it isnt much else to do, than sport that grows a hockey culture.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Minnesota Michigan New York Massachusetts and Wisconsin are the top 5 states in producing current nhl players

Toronto Edmonton Montreal Winnipeg Calgary top 5 Canadian cities for current nhl players

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Lol.

Örnsköldsvik, Gävle, Skellefteå is probably swedens answer.

Örnsköldsvik : Forsberg, Näslund (Husum though, just outside Örnsköldsvik), D Sedin, H Sedin, A Hedberg, N Sundström, Hans Johnsson (long time ago, D on Pittsburgh), Anders Eriksson, Mattias Timander, Victor Hedman, Lars Molin (70s D).

Thats four players that had won Hart or Lindsay, three players that has won Art Ross.

Hockey was until 90s, a woeking class sport. Seems like the small cities, where it isnt much else to do, than sport that grows a hockey culture.

Näslund is not from Husum, he is from Bonäset which is quite central in Örnsköldsvik. If consider non-stars then we have also Victor Olofsson and Andreas Salomonsson.

Anders Eriksson is from Bollnäs which is quite far from Örnsköldsvik.

Mattias Timander is from Sollefteå, which is just outside of Örnsköldsvik kommun. But if we include just outside (basically Ångermanland), then also Toby Enström, Anton Forsberg, Adrian Kempe, Per Svartvadet, and Thomas Gradin could be considered.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Näslund is not from Husum, he is from Bonäset which is quite central in Örnsköldsvik. If consider non-stars then we have also Victor Olofsson and Andreas Salomonsson.

Anders Eriksson is from Bollnäs which is quite far from Örnsköldsvik.

Mattias Timander is from Sollefteå, which is just outside of Örnsköldsvik kommun. But if we include just outside (basically Ångermanland), then also Toby Enström, Anton Forsberg, Adrian Kempe, Per Svartvadet, and Thomas Gradin could be considered.
Alright.

Näslund still from Ö-vik.
Thats impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad