Which hockey rankings people are the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
With the draft finally in the books and all of us draft junkies getting our fix, I was wondering which independent draft rating to start plunking my money into. I only want one, as that's all I can afford. I know McKeen's is cheaper, but I'll pay the $200 or 400 or whatever it is for redline or ISS. Of those three, which do people think is the best, and by best I mean quality, not bang for the buck. Also, is there others out there that I don't know about, or is it just the big three?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
kingsfan said:
With the draft finally in the books and all of us draft junkies getting our fix, I was wondering which independent draft rating to start plunking my money into. I only want one, as that's all I can afford. I know McKeen's is cheaper, but I'll pay the $200 or 400 or whatever it is for redline or ISS. Of those three, which do people think is the best, and by best I mean quality, not bang for the buck. Also, is there others out there that I don't know about, or is it just the big three?

Usually, here's what I do. I check out the previews and stuff. Then I eliminate the services that have wildly inaccurate scouting reports on players I have watched. Because if they got it wrong on the players I know, I can't trust them to get it right on the players I don't know.

For the services you didn't list:

There's YoungGunsHockey

There is also THN and the draft issue, which sort of does a consensus of what many scouts tell them, and add a profile that is mainly made up of quotes from scouts.

Then you have free rankings by CSS (with small scouting report if you can locate them.

Bobby Mac on TSN does a couple of free draft previews. Other sports site usually do too.

I think that's all I can come up with.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks Vlad. Do you subscribe to any of them?
I've never heard of Younggunshockey, do they have a website?

I, like most others hear, do check out THN's list, as well as the McKenzie rankings. I like Mackenzie's, but they only do the top 30 most, if not all of the time. THN's I'm not that fond of, though that maybe just my personal opinion. I wonder which rank was the most accurate when compared to the draft? I know, that doesn;t matter long term, but I am kinda curious as to which ranking agency came the closest to how it all unfolded on draft day.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
kingsfan said:
Thanks Vlad. Do you subscribe to any of them?
I've never heard of Younggunshockey, do they have a website?

I do not subscribe to any of them.

http://www.younggunshockey.com/

kingsfan said:
I wonder which rank was the most accurate when compared to the draft? I know, that doesn;t matter long term, but I am kinda curious as to which ranking agency came the closest to how it all unfolded on draft day.

From experience, they usually have their share of hits and misses.

Check out YGH this year. They made a bold call on Setoguchi (ranked 7th on their list) and it appears the Sharks agreed with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad