Which Habs Prospect have the more upside !?

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I was talking with my friends and he was saying that Chipchura had the more upside and I was like '' Are you ********** crazy !? '' I was telling him that he was a safe pick and a potential 3rd liner , but I was wondering which prospect had the more upside between

Carey Price

David Fischer

Andrei Kostitsyn

Guillaume Latendresse

I want to know your opinions

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Hum... hard to tell. I would say Price, because he is such the complete package. But hard to tell.

In order, in term of potential, I would say:

Price
Kostitsyn
Fischer*
Latendresse

* but I never saw him play so who cares about my opinion.

Mobbex

Jul 29, 2006
Montreal
1- I feel that the habs would have been better of by picking Kopitar, Brule or even Bourdon at 5th overall. He was touted as the best goalie available, but had a very inconsistent season in Tri-City and failed to make the canadian junior team. Still, he decided to switch to NHL size equipment at the start of last season as he felt it would be better for his development and was probably the only net-minder in the CHL to do so. Such commitment is engaging and he does have all the makings of a good goalie, but Kopitar and especially Brule are in a whole different ballpark. *Sigh*...

2- Kostitsin has the highest level of talent amongst current habs prospect, but his inhability to put it all together after two years in North America is rather troubling. If he makes it to the NHL it will be as a scoring winger or not at all, and the chances of him reaching his massive potential are getting thinner and thinner.

3- Fischer is looking realy good right now, as we are getting some realy nice feedbacks about him from the USA WJC camp. He is versatile, quick, skilled and looks like a great leader. He is still very early in his development though.

4- Latendresse might become a good second line power-forward if he can regain his form after a horrendous 2005-06. Thats good upside, especially from a second rounder.

Last edited:

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
With completely full upside reached I'd go with Latendresse, because if that kid ever got it together and improved in certain areas he'd be one of the most dominant up and coming forwards. Someone who could completely change the game.

However, if you add in everything together, I'd take Price ahead of Latendresse, most definitely.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
thanks for sharing your opinions I made mine

Price
Latendresse
Kostitsyn
Fischer

I feel that Fischer will be the d-man in video games that have 75 overall with 70 to 75 in each category :D

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
In the end I think that Fischer will end up being the second best defenseman taken from this draft and the best player from Maitz's list. IMO he's very Marc Staalish in that he's just solid in all area's and has almost has no downside to his game. I'm not sure if he's elite enough to be a #1 Dman but he does have the tools to be an outstanding #2 or 3.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
"Upside" is a tough thing to pin down. But if you really want to look at the absolute best those guys could remotely possibly be in full-on dreaming in tricolore mode.. welllll...

1. Price (future Brodeur-like all-world goalie)
2. Kostitsyn (Marian Hossa-like 40-goal forward)
3. Fischer (solid all-round Desjardins-like two-way defenseman)
4. Latendresse (2nd tier Knuble-like 30-goal PF)

Of course, most Habs fans would object and say as long as you're dreaming in tricolore why not put Latendresse as a 1st tier Nolan/Shanahan/Tkachuk-like PF? It would be a legitimate question in the nutty context of this thread, but even I couldn't picture that happening.

Anyway, the odds of any of those dreams coming true are awfully slim, and there are dozens (hundreds?) of other prospects in the NHL who you could extend similar far-out max upside dreams to, so hopefully readers will indeed understand the context and not run around screaming "hey those stupid Habs fans think Price will be the next Brodeur! :D ". You'd get more mileage out of ranking bust potential:

1. Price (next Storr/Finley)
2. Kostitsyn (next Yakubov/Smirnov/Kriukov etc)
3. Latendresse (next Terry Ryan/Ramzi Abid)
4. David Fischer (next Jeff Jillson/Richard Jackman hybrid)

... or something like that. :dunno:

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
Based on Upside Potential

1. Andrei Kostitsyn
Magic puck handler, even at high speed. He's probably best known around here for his "impressive array of shots". It's getting late for him but he still has the most skill out of the bunch and has the tools to become a superstar winger. People compare him to Hossa... but I don't really see the resemblance. He's unique... go back and watch the domination display he showed against the U.S. at the WJC 2 years ago.

2. Carey Price
Lightning fast reflexes, excellent rebound control, plays well under pressure... potential franchise goalie. Haven't seen him play much but it seems unanimous what his potential is.

3. Guillaume Latendresse
Lays out monster hits and loves to be in front of the net. Since D's can no longer cross-check players out of the goalie crease, this should play to Gui's favour. He likes to shoot... it wasn't rare to see him get over 10 shots in a game last year in the Q. Potential Big Time Power Forward.

4. David Fischer
I think it's too early to judge his potential. I haven't seen him play at all but I far as I know he hasn't played at a high enough level... especially for a D. People seem to be really high on him though but I'll wait 'till half way through his season this year to pass judgement.

edit: I like Blind Gardien's idea of ranking by bust potential :
1- most likely to bust ..... 4- least likely to bust

1. (obviously) Kosty :D
It's boom or bust, baby.
Either way, I don't care what anyone says... I'll always like this 2003 pick. It was a gamble we could afford to take.

2. Fischer
I may lack the information to properly rate him, but I say he's 2nd most likely to bust anyway. :p:

3. Latendresse
I personally think that with his style of play, he can easily be a 2nd or 3rd line PF that can easily pot in 20 goals a year. Injuries may be a concern with Gui though... we'll see.

4. Price
I just don't see him not making the NHL... 1B at worst.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Based on Upside Potential

1. Andrei Kostitsyn
Magic puck handler, even at high speed. He's probably best known around here for his "impressive array of shots". It's getting late for him but he still has the most skill out of the bunch and has the tools to become a superstar winger. People compare him to Hossa... but I don't really see the resemblance. He's unique... go back and watch the domination display he showed against the U.S. at the WJC 2 years ago.

2. Carey Price
Lightning fast reflexes, excellent rebound control, plays well under pressure... potential franchise goalie. Haven't seen him play much but it seems unanimous what his potential is.

3. Guillaume Latendresse
Lays out monster hits and loves to be in front of the net. Since D's can no longer cross-check players out of the goalie crease, this should play to Gui's favour. He likes to shoot... it wasn't rare to see him get over 10 shots in a game last year in the Q. Potential Big Time Power Forward.

4. David Fischer
I think it's too early to judge his potential. I haven't seen him play at all but I far as I know he hasn't played at a high enough level... especially for a D. People seem to be really high on him though but I'll wait 'till half way through his season this year to pass judgement.

edit: I like Blind Gardien's idea of ranking by bust potential :
1- most likely to bust ..... 4- least likely to bust

1. (obviously) Kosty :D
It's boom or bust, baby.
Either way, I don't care what anyone says... I'll always like this 2003 pick. It was a gamble we could afford to take.

2. Fischer
I may lack the information to properly rate him, but I say he's 2nd most likely to bust anyway. :p:

3. Latendresse
I personally think that with his style of play, he can easily be a 2nd or 3rd line PF that can easily pot in 20 goals a year. Injuries may be a concern with Gui though... we'll see.

4. Price
I just don't see him not making the NHL... 1B at worst.

I agree on most of this. Though i like Kost, and it was a pick that may turn out for the best, im not sure you could say it was a risk you could afford to take. Looking at the 03 draft, the majority of teams appear to have either got a superstar or a very good player. I don't want this to turn into another Kost thread though, and i like him as a prospect.
Not that high on Price. Especially where he was picked. He may end up being a solid goaltender, but i don't see him being a franchise/elite netminder like alot of other people do.

Latendresse is underated. I think he will turn out to be a good player. Don't know much about Fischer.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
1 - Kostitsyn: The kid has magic hands. Even going at full speed he has supreme command of the puck. He's big, too, and built like a tank, although he's not overly physical, it makes him hard to knock off the puck. His wrist-shot is also one of the best I've ever seen, including NHL players. I really think the kid is a perennial 40 goal scorer. I think you need to see him in the NHL to really appreciate him, though.

2 - Price: Potentially he could be a franchise goaltender, a backup at worst. He's big, he's very intellegent, likes to handle the puck, great reflexes, good rebound control, and, as far as I can tell, he's got a solid work ethic. Only major concern at this point is consitency, but he has a lot of time to work on that. You don't draft based on how good a player is, you draft based on how good you think he's GOING to be.

3 - Fischer: After what guys like Phil Housley have said about him, and after what I've heard from scouts, I can't help but love the guy. He's got great skating, good passing skills, a solid shot (Could be better), strong defensive ability, and tremendous leadership abilities. He's also got a great personality and enthousiasm. A coaches dream.

4 - Latendresse: The kid has a whole lot of potential. He's not very quick, but he's big and strong and loves to throw gigantic hits. He's willing to play defense, block shots, stand up for his teammates etc, and he's got a lot of goal scoring instincts and willingness to drive to the net. Only reason I ranked him this low is that he's already had 2 concussions and a major shoulder injury. I don't know how long he'll last in the NHL, but he definatly has upside. Hope he doesn't turn into Brett Lindros:(

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Wow! I must say I'm pleasently surprised to see a great thread about Habs prospect. :handclap:
For me it's:

1- Kost : Marian Hossa like potential... But will he reach it. I doubt it.
2 - Lats: I'm really high on this guy. I think he has Todd Bertuzzi pre Moore incident potential.
3- Price : I'm not sold on him. I think his upside is Nabokov (a top 10 goalie with up and downs)
4- Fischer: I havent seen him, so I don't really know what to expect.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I was talking with my friends and he was saying that Chipchura had the more upside and I was like '' Are you ********** crazy !? '' I was telling him that he was a safe pick and a potential 3rd liner , but I was wondering which prospect had the more upside between

Carey Price

David Fischer

Andrei Kostitsyn

Guillaume Latendresse

I want to know your opinions

Price
Kostitsyn
Latendresse
Fischer

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Price. He can become a star. The kid is getting ragged on for no reason, but like someone said he put on NHL pads which make a big difference, and it takes time to get use to. Before this season he owned a .920 save % or around there, and was amazing. It doesn't help this guy has a bad team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->