Which group of Russian players would you take?

Which group of Russian players would you take?

• Total voters

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Group 1
Forwards
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeni Malkin
Nikita Kucherov

Defenseman
Sergei Gonchar
Andrei Markov

Goalie
Evgeni Nabokov

Group 2
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sergei Fedorov
Pavel Bure

Defenseman
Sergei Zubov
Vladimir Malakhov

Goalie
Andrei Vasilevski

Group 3
Forwards
Artemi Panarin
Pavel Datsyuk
Alexander Mogilny

Defenseman
Viacheslav Fetisov
Vladimir Konstantinov

Goalie
Vladislav Tretiak

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Group 3 has disadvantage since Tretiak never played in the NHL and Fetisov/Konstantinov played not many seasons . So it's between 1 & 2 with 1 having better defense group and possibly better forwards as well. Group 2 has the better goalie in my opinion and one better defenseman in Zubov but Malakhov not really making them great pairing. Also, Kovalchuk left NHL so missed a lot of seasons. So easy choice is 1 but if 3 had better defense pairing and goalie who was had NHL experience they be in discussion for top

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It’s probably group 1, but group 2 is close behind. Kovy had 5 consecutive 40+ goal seasons. He also didn’t have a plus minus above 0 during those seasons. Put it this way, I’d be inclined to take group 2 on a power play though. Zubov the best PP of the 2 groups, Kovy app monster and the speed and agility of federal and bure.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Group 1
Forwards
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeni Malkin
Nikita Kucherov

Defenseman
Sergei Gonchar
Andrei Markov

Goalie
Evgeni Nabokov

Group 2
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sergei Fedorov
Pavel Bure

Defenseman
Sergei Zubov
Vladimir Malakhov

Goalie
Andrei Vasilevski

Group 3
Forwards
Artemi Panarin
Pavel Datsyuk
Alexander Mogilny

Defenseman
Viacheslav Fetisov
Vladimir Konstantinov

Goalie
Vladislav Tretiak
I think a lot of young people on these boards will disregard the third group because they didn't see almost any of them play.

But I think it's 3 if Mogilny is playing at the top of his game.

To me, the clear worst players (and still damn good players) are Malakhov, Nabokov, and probably Markov.

Tretiak was a superstar who held the 77 Canadiens to 3 goals despite being outshot something like 37-13.

Fetisov played in Russia but was basically a Ray Bourque clone without the longevity.

Konstantinov provides such a unique dimension and was really breaking out prior to the tragic limousine accident. Maybe Panarin is the weak point on this line, but he's an incredible distributor and he and Mogilny would be poetry while Datsyuk (also poetry), Fetisov, and Konstantinov would be impossible to keep the puck from.

I love Bure, he's probably why I got into hockey in 94. Fedorov was a favorite too, and Zubov was a legitimate star to super star. But Malakhov was one of the most enigmatic players of the entire decade of the 90's. Fedorov is good defensively and Zubov is , and Vasilevskiy is incredible. But Bure and Kovalchuk are entirely indifferent defensively and so is Malakhov.

Ovie and Malkin have never really thrived together. Kucherov is incredible too, but there's only one puck and all 3 are puck possession players. Gonchar and Markov are fine but don't breathe the same air as Fetisov (and they would tell you this if you asked them I bet) and don't offer the dimension that Konstantinov does.

Nabokov was a good goalie, often a really good goalie, but Tretiak and Vasilevskiy are on different levels.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad