Which goalies are going to play their 1st NHL game this year?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Frank Doyle for NJ. He was on the bench for a couple of games last year, but I'm sure that doesn't count. He's impressed the coaches at camp and will probably get a callup at some point in the season.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Well with Kevin Weekes inevitably tweaking his groin in the beginning of the season, as he does every season, Monty may get to see some action.

AndyDusso

Sep 5, 2005
They should a lot less than last year where a lot of kids had a chance to start their first NHL game as a goalie. But still a couple comes to mind who could have their chance either by being a backup or by coming over an injury

Brent Krahn-CAL
Curtis McElhinney-CAL

Kevin Nastiuk-CAR (not a lot of deep in Carolina)

Tyler Weiman-COL

Fredrik Norrena-CBS
Tomas Popperle-CBS

Mike Smith-DAL
Tobias Stephan-DAL

Stefan Liv-DET

Devan Dubnyk-EDM
Jeff Deslauriers-EDM

Barry Brust-LA

Niklas Backstrom-MIN

Jaroslav Halak-MTL

Karl Goehring-NSH (I hate him but with Rinne actually he is #3)

Frank Doyle-NJ
Jordan Parise-NJ

Billy Thompson-NYI

Al Montoya-NYR

Kelly Guard-OTT
Jeff Glass-OTT

Martin Houle-PHI
Rejean Beauchemin-PHI

Marek Schwarz-STL
Chris Beckford-Tseu-STL

Thomas Greiss-SJ
Dmitri Patzold-SJ

Justin Pogge-TOR

Julien Ellis-VAN

Maxime Daigneault-WSH

A lot of those guys are really longshot but I'd be surprise to see more unless a lot of injuries happens to a single team. For me I'd figure that Liv, Smith, Krahn, Norrena, Backstrom and Doyle have the best chance to play at least one game. But it all depends on injuries so who knows?

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
They should a lot less than last year where a lot of kids had a chance to start their first NHL game as a goalie. But still a couple comes to mind who could have their chance either by being a backup or by coming over an injury

Brent Krahn-CAL
Curtis McElhinney-CAL

Tyler Weiman-COL

Fredrik Norrena-CBS
Tomas Popperle-CBS

Mike Smith-DAL
Tobias Stephan-DAL

Stefan Liv-DET

Devan Dubnyk-EDM
Jeff Deslauriers-EDM

Barry Brust-LA

Niklas Backstrom-MIN

Jaroslav Halak-MTL

Frank Doyle-NJ
Jordan Parise-NJ

Billy Thompson-NYI

Al Montoya-NYR

Kelly Guard-OTT
Jeff Glass-OTT

Martin Houle-PHI
Rejean Beauchemin-PHI

Marek Schwarz-STL
Chris Beckford-Tseu-STL

Thomas Greiss-SJ
Dmitri Patzold-SJ

Justin Pogge-TOR

Julien Ellis-VAN

Maxime Daigneault-WSH

A lot of those guys are really longshot but I'd be surprise to see more unless a lot of injuries happens to a single team. For me I'd figure that Liv, Smith, Krahn, Norrena, Backstrom and Doyle have the best chance to play at least one game. But it all depends on injuries so who knows?

You guys think Liv gets the call over Howard in Detroit??

Isn't Liv #4 on the depth chart?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Howard's already played an NHL game, so I think he was just listing the next goaltending prospect possibility.

And I would be very surprised if Brust made an NHL game. If we get a goaltending prospect playing, I'm guessing either Munce or Fukufuji.

AndyDusso

Sep 5, 2005
Howard's already played an NHL game, so I think he was just listing the next goaltending prospect possibility.

And I would be very surprised if Brust made an NHL game. If we get a goaltending prospect playing, I'm guessing either Munce or Fukufuji.

You're right about Liv, but I was trying to enlarge the list, my feeling is that if Liv has a good season he might get a call-up especially with the fragile Hasek. Of course Howard has the edge to be calling-up.

As for L.A. Brust had a pretty decent year last year, we'll see whom of Fukufuji or Munce will play in AHL this year and you're right that they could get the call before Brust, but Brust has the more experience right now.

Furious George

Ville the Villain
Mar 22, 2006
Shark Infested Water

Brent Krahn-CAL
Curtis McElhinney-CAL

Tyler Weiman-COL

Fredrik Norrena-CBS
Tomas Popperle-CBS

Mike Smith-DAL
Tobias Stephan-DAL

Stefan Liv-DET

Devan Dubnyk-EDM
Jeff Deslauriers-EDM

Barry Brust-LA

Niklas Backstrom-MIN

Jaroslav Halak-MTL

Frank Doyle-NJ
Jordan Parise-NJ

Billy Thompson-NYI

Al Montoya-NYR

Kelly Guard-OTT
Jeff Glass-OTT

Martin Houle-PHI
Rejean Beauchemin-PHI

Marek Schwarz-STL
Chris Beckford-Tseu-STL

Thomas Greiss-SJ
Dmitri Patzold-SJ

Justin Pogge-TOR

Julien Ellis-VAN

Maxime Daigneault-WSH

95% sure that neither of those guys sees any time with the Sharks unless there are a bunch of injuries, so yeah, definitely longshots.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As for L.A. Brust had a pretty decent year last year, we'll see whom of Fukufuji or Munce will play in AHL this year and you're right that they could get the call before Brust, but Brust has the more experience right now.

Brust definitely has the experience and he looked good in the ECHL, but I wasn't too impressed with him at prospect development camp. Awesome personality, though. When I mentioned to him that no programs were out yet, so I didn't know who was who, he's like "Oh, O'Sullivan's #26" like he knew exactly who I was looking for :D

Otherwise, all the other goalies had a better overall showing in my limited viewings.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

Liv would probably get a spot-duty callup over Howard this season just to avoid adding another season of duty on Howard's status. If Hasek and Osgood were out for a long period of time, I think you'd see Howard called up before Liv.

MacDonald will almost certainly see his first NHL action this season.

And if Hasek and Osgood both go down, you'll probably see a lot of Howard and MacDonald in Detroit, and Liv will get every possible start in Grand Rapids.

The Wings will try to trade MacDonald eventually, but for now they're going to use him as insurance against a Hasek or Osgood injury and keep him on the roster. Plus, they're going to have to throw him a bone or two to keep him happy if they're going to keep him on the roster as a 3rd goalie. Nobody can be expected to sit in that 3rd goalie slot forever and not play at all. They'll give him a start vs Columbus or somebody. They usually save their backup/prospect starts for games when they don't have a whole lot of fear/respect for their opponents.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Thomas Greiss-SJ
Dmitri Patzold-SJ

How about Nolan Schaefer?

As For Schwarz, and Beckford-Tseu I am almost postive they wont see action this year with Legace, Bacashihuia, and Sanford ahead in the depth charts.

Not to Mention Marek was just recently cut by the Blues... not sure about Beckford-Tseu however.

Zetterberg4Captain*

How about Nolan Schaefer?

As For Schwarz, and Beckford-Tseu I am almost postive they wont see action this year with Legace, Bacashihuia, and Sanford ahead in the depth charts.

Not to Mention Marek was just recently cut by the Blues... not sure about Beckford-Tseu however.

Schaefer has already played in the NHL.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

Brent Krahn-CAL
Curtis McElhinney-CAL

Tyler Weiman-COL

Fredrik Norrena-CBS
Tomas Popperle-CBS

Mike Smith-DAL
Tobias Stephan-DAL

Stefan Liv-DET

Devan Dubnyk-EDM
Jeff Deslauriers-EDM

Barry Brust-LA

Niklas Backstrom-MIN

Jaroslav Halak-MTL

Frank Doyle-NJ
Jordan Parise-NJ

Billy Thompson-NYI

Al Montoya-NYR

Kelly Guard-OTT
Jeff Glass-OTT

Martin Houle-PHI
Rejean Beauchemin-PHI

Marek Schwarz-STL
Chris Beckford-Tseu-STL

Thomas Greiss-SJ
Dmitri Patzold-SJ

Justin Pogge-TOR

Julien Ellis-VAN

Maxime Daigneault-WSH

actually he is #4
1. vokoun
2. mason
3. rinne

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Brust definitely has the experience and he looked good in the ECHL, but I wasn't too impressed with him at prospect development camp. Awesome personality, though. When I mentioned to him that no programs were out yet, so I didn't know who was who, he's like "Oh, O'Sullivan's #26" like he knew exactly who I was looking for :D

Otherwise, all the other goalies had a better overall showing in my limited viewings.
Brust is a gamer, hes never been much of a standout in camps. Id think hed be 2nd choice behind Fuji for a callup due to the fact the Fuji would bring a media circus with him.

AndyDusso

Sep 5, 2005
actually he is #4
1. vokoun
2. mason
3. rinne

You are right, he is number 4 behind Rinne, but I believe Rinne is being injured for the first months of the season so if an injury occurs in Nashville Goehring might be call-up.

Many of those guys I've named are actualy #4 or even #5 at time and many factors depends. Like in St-Louis they already have 3 NHL caliber goalie but there is a chance that Sanford or Bacashihua got pick from waivers from other teams letting Schwarz or Beckfrod-Tseu moving ahead in the depth chart. Same with LaBarbera in L.A. or a move happening with the goalie situation in San Jose. And of course it depends on injuries.

Just last year who would have though that Rob McVicar, Chris Holt, Adam Berkhoel would have start their first NHL game?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
You are right, he is number 4 behind Rinne, but I believe Rinne is being injured for the first months of the season so if an injury occurs in Nashville Goehring might be call-up.

Many of those guys I've named are actualy #4 or even #5 at time and many factors depends. Like in St-Louis they already have 3 NHL caliber goalie but there is a chance that Sanford or Bacashihua got pick from waivers from other teams letting Schwarz or Beckfrod-Tseu moving ahead in the depth chart. Same with LaBarbera in L.A. or a move happening with the goalie situation in San Jose. And of course it depends on injuries.

Just last year who would have though that Rob McVicar, Chris Holt, Adam Berkhoel would have start their first NHL game?

yeah thats true. the goalie situation in atlanta was crazy last season. michael garnett played like 30 games or something:biglaugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

that's the one statement in your post I disagree with, Justin Peters and Craig Kowalski are both higher on the depth chart then Nastiuk as of right now. Kowalski is probably the most likely to get the callup if there's a long term injury as he's the most experienced of the 3, giving Peters and Nastiuk the time to develop in Albany and with the Blades. Not sure how much I trust any of the 3 to play in an NHL game at this point though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad