Which goal is nicer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
This topic really is just a waste of space, but just for kicks, which goal is nicer? These are 2 very famous college goals.

heres a link to Michigan's Mike Legge's famous rap around goal
http://www.srl.utu.fi/AuxDOC/tke/stuff1/hockey___mike_legg_1_.mpeg
or

heres a link to UNH's Colin Hemmingway's through the legs goal
http://web.archive.org/web/20010604233426/hockeyeastonline.com/video/2001/0210hems.mpg
which is nicer?

which is nicer?
also if you have a link to any really beautiful goal videos on the computer, post them here!

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
They are both amazing.

Is Legg's goal something that is banned in the NHL? I have never seen a player attempt it before but I think it could be deadly if done correctly. Are players not allowed to carry the puck flat on their stick like that?

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
I'd go with Hemmingways goal, just beacuse i think anybody that knows how to play hockey in the least could do what Legge did, i know i can do it, and i'm not great. Hemmingways is tough to do

PK*

Both are awesome, but I prefer Hemingway's goal for the only reason that I have never seen a goal like that anywhere else. A teamate of mine a few years ago scored a goal carrying the puck on his stick like Legge.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Ticallion961 said:
I'd go with Hemmingways goal, just beacuse i think anybody that knows how to play hockey in the least could do what Legge did, i know i can do it, and i'm not great. Hemmingways is tough to do

Seriously, i think you have them mixed up.

Hemingway's is doable, Legg's was downright incredible.

and i don't think anyone who knows how to play hockey "in the least" could do it

Hitman*

Ticallion961 said:

I also think you have them messed up. I've scored a goal like Hemmingway's before, its not all that hard. Leggs is more difficult and its harder to find a situation to do it.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Legg's goal is near impossible, because it's so very seldom you'll get the time to flip it onto your stick, and be able to walk around enough to score.

Hemmingway's goal is doable, and has been done. Hell, I scored one like that the other night....but still impresseive to use in a game

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Draft Guru said:
Is Legg's goal something that is banned in the NHL? I have never seen a player attempt it before but I think it could be deadly if done correctly. Are players not allowed to carry the puck flat on their stick like that?

No they can carry the puck over the shoulder anyways , i've seen Mats Sundin do it in a game when he was with the Nordique . It's was against Hartford in a Pre-Season game andQuebec was on the PP... Sundin did just like Legg but from the blueline to the net in one sweet motion ... Off course the goal wasen't good but i remember the face of my friend he was like 'whoa!' :eek:

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
Quagmier said:
Seriously, i think you have them mixed up.

Hemingway's is doable, Legg's was downright incredible.

and i don't think anyone who knows how to play hockey "in the least" could do it

Legg's goal is simple, its real easy to pick the puck up on your stick like that, doing it in a game situation takes a bit of balls, but easy none the less

MartinStLouis

Sep 3, 2003
DC Metro area
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
They are both amazing.

Legg's goal is a sign of unsportsmanlike. Legg received a verbal lashing by his coach after that goal. Did you know that Legg was benched rest of the game after that goal and he had to do sprints after it. Every guy in the nhl can do that if he wanted, but its unsportmanlike. Legg's goal was great no doubt, almost as nice as my pick up the puck and do a spinorama on a breakaway goal, but its classless to do in a game, practice is fine but not in a game. Where is Legg now? Playing Minors somewhere trying out new moves. Coaches dont tolerate that ****.

KariyaIsGod*

^^^^ That's a bunch of bull. You are right but it's too bad that people feel that way. How that goal is unsportsmanlike is beyond me.

Hemingway's goal is easy to do compared to Legg's.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Ticallion961 said:
Legg's goal is simple, its real easy to pick the puck up on your stick like that, doing it in a game situation takes a bit of balls, but easy none the less

Haha, right, and Hemingway's is just so difficult to do. :rolly:

as for the goals not being classy I don't understand where you guys are coming from. If you are running up the score, then as a team that is not classy, but to make nice moves like that and score fantastic goals that showcase your talent... well that's hockey last time I checked.

MartinStLouis

Sep 3, 2003
DC Metro area
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
Haha, right, and Hemingway's is just so difficult to do. :rolly:

as for the goals not being classy I don't understand where you guys are coming from. If you are running up the score, then as a team that is not classy, but to make nice moves like that and score fantastic goals that showcase your talent... well that's hockey last time I checked.

Then why did Legg's coach yell at him and bench him and make him do sprints? Answer that, im sayin both goals are great but that goal would never be done in the pros.

Sullythedog

Sep 24, 2003
Cambridge, ON
Visit site
I like that Legge was benched for the goal. To me, carrying the puck in the air on your stick doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the game. Yzerman was asked about these kinds of goals and basically said, "neat trick but I'd never do it in a game".

Hemingway's goal was just as cocky if not more so, but all moves with the puck on the ice are fair game. I think that his move actually has some serious merit because it really sucks the goalie to one side and allows you to shoot the opposite way your body is travelling. It's kind of the same effect on a goalie as Forsberg's one-handed shoot out goal against Canada.

Despite all this if I was on the other team in either of these situations, I'd be seriously inclined to take off their heads next shift. But that's just me...

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
They are both amazing.

Yep, it's illegal to carry the puck AT ALL on your stick in the NHL. Denis Savard used to try it, and he'd get called for it every time. It's in the rulebook. You can slap the puck in the air (below the shoulder), but you cannot at any time carry the puck on the blade of your stick.

That's why Legg's goal-for as amazing as it was-would just be waved off in the NHL. However, Hemingway's goal, while pretty, is nothing new. I had teammates in high school do it, Mario Lemieux used to score this way once a year or so, and so on.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site

About NHL players trying something like Legge's goal...

Mike Comrie has tried it, and failed. The problem is that there just isn't enough time to do it in the NHL.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
MartinStLouis said:
Then why did Legg's coach yell at him and bench him and make him do sprints? Answer that, im sayin both goals are great but that goal would never be done in the pros.

His coach is effin stupid!!!! If im not correct that won the game did it not? was it not the final? or semis? That is downright stupid coaching. Its like Crawford benching Naslund for scoring the goal he scored against Zac Bierk last year!

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
For anyone who has been around long enough, you'd remember when Gretzky pulled off a move similar to Legg's goal. Only difference is Gretzky did it on the other side of the net.. around the left post, not right..

MartinStLouis

Sep 3, 2003
DC Metro area
Visit site
Fedz said:
His coach is effin stupid!!!! If im not correct that won the game did it not? was it not the final? or semis? That is downright stupid coaching. Its like Crawford benching Naslund for scoring the goal he scored against Zac Bierk last year!

no it did not win the game, i have that game on tape and that goal tied the game at 3-3, Michigan later on went to score the 4th goal and win. His coach obviously doesnt want showboats on his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad