Which country will win World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Your early favourite to win the tourney? The rosters haven't been announced yet but I'm sure most of you are familiar with the depth of the teams playing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
i don't think we can determine until we hear rosters. Speaking of, it's May 12, where's your homeland's roster? :D

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Canada has by far the superior goaltending. Our number 2 and 3 guys are above most starters in the tourney. It's got to be a huge advantage for Canada.

Canada has got the better defensive fowards. We can choose from Peca, Primeau, Draper or Madden.

Canada's forwards are also the most physical. Plus we have incredible depht on our top 12. Right now I'd have Thornton and Heatley on our 3rd scoring line. Who can boast such depht ? Sweden and Slovakia certainly have a lot of talent but both countries forwards lack the size and grit Canada has.

The defense is also very strong and proven. Again Sweden comes closest to matching Canada's defense.

I'd say the three favourites ought to be in order

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
i don't think we can determine until we hear rosters. Speaking of, it's May 12, where's your homeland's roster? :D

Hmm, I'm waiting for it. Perhaps they have postponed the announcement of the team? hmm trying to gather some info but I haven't been successful yet. :)

edit: found an article now where it said the roster is going to be announced on "already on Monday". Unfortunately it doesn't say when the article was written, but I'm assuming it is Monday, the 17th of May. So I guess we'll have to wait a while ....

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
E = CH² said:
Canada has by far the superior goaltending. Our number 2 and 3 guys are above most starters in the tourney. It's got to be a huge advantage for Canada.
You can only play one goaltender at a time, and each country will have a capable goaltender of winning it all, so this isn't as big an advantage for Canada as you make it.

E = CH² said:
Canada has got the better defensive fowards. We can choose from Peca, Primeau, Draper or Madden.
So? Most of the elite teams in this competition can select some very capable defensive forwards. Again, you're focusing on overall depth, and not the fact that a roster can only have so many players.
E = CH² said:
Canada's forwards are also the most physical. Plus we have incredible depht on our top 12. Right now I'd have Thornton and Heatley on our 3rd scoring line. Who can boast such depht ? Sweden and Slovakia certainly have a lot of talent but both countries forwards lack the size and grit Canada has.
Again, I applaud Canada for it's depth, but the roster size is 26. You can only have so many players, and they have to come together as a team. Will that happen for Canada? We'll see.
E = CH² said:
The defense is also very strong and proven. Again Sweden comes closest to matching Canada's defense.
Explain to me how Sweden has the 2nd best defense, or team as you suggest below? You know we're talking about the World Cup, and not the World Championships don't you?
E = CH² said:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia

Why does Russia deserve to be that high?

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Russia isn't high. If they put their minds into it they can win it all.

Goaltending does matter and they have it better than Sweden. (Salo??? Give me a break!)

I can't see why US can't 3 place :dunno: although goaltending may be a huge issue.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I'm choosing Canada as the most likely to win, but I'll be cheering for Sweden. I think the US goaltending situation will be crucial. It looks to me as though Conklin has the 3rd position locked and Di Pietro and Esche can battle for the starters role. I see no reason the US should finish outside of the top-3. Russia is my dark horse pick.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Either the US or Canada, Russia has the talent, but who's going to pull it all together? Canada probably has the most depth on paper, but it will be seen how it plays out on the ice. As mentioned before, the US goaltending could make or break the team, Richter was always solid in goal, hopefully Dunham, Esche or other will be just as good.

1. Canada
2. US
3. Czech Rep.
4. Sweden

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I can't see the US doing too well. A lot of their players have aged over the years and guys like Hull either won't be there or will not have the kind of tournament they had before. You can't really compare guys like Weight, Tkachuk, Modano, Drury to Iginla, Lemieux, Thornton, St.Louis, Sakic, etc. Not to mention the huge advantage Canada has on defense.

With all that being said though, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Czechs or Slovaks goes to the final.

DeadPool

Jan 1, 2004
Canada is the team to beat but there's a few surprises in store I'm sure...

Sweden could return to it's pre-Belarus Salt Lake City Domination.

Russia could finally awaken from international deep sleep.

USA could finally find serious goaltending (Esche????) to match-up against Canada.

Slovakia could sneak in and knock a big team out.

Finland with a red-hot Kiprusoff in goal could finally beat their rival Sweden.

Czech Republic could pull another Nagano or not...

Germany... oh wait... nevermind.

Last edited:

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
The U.S. has a very old pool of players to choose from. My hope is that they pick up some younger players like Leopold for the team to get them some good international experience. And you never know, if they get goaltending there is always a shot.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Canada has got to be the heavy favorite heading in, but you've got 8 excellent teams (okay, Germany is a bit of a longshot) all of whom have realistically a good shot to win. There's a lot of parity in international tournaments and a lot depends on the degree to which the specific players are able to gel together. This is a pretty short tournament, so any pre-existing chemistry between players could be a key factor.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
E = CH² said:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia

I agree I think Canada should be the early favorite considering we won the last 2 world championships and won gold in the Olympics.

As a Canadian backer the team that scares me the most is Sweden, I think they have better overall depth then Russia or the Czech Republic.

here would be my top 6.

1) Canada
2)Sweden
3)Czech Republic
4)Russia
5)USA
6)Slovakia

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

If I had USA in my top 3 would you feel better about my post ?

Obviously I was talking about those teams on paper. For all I know the team we'll ice could perform miserably and Finland could win it all. But the question was : who are your favourites to win the tourney ? The only way to look at it at this point is to compare each team on paper.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Come to a Canadian forum an ask who'll win the World Cup ... do you think they will say Czech Republic or Finland? :lol:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
ZeroTheHero said:
You don't see many betting on the US although this is an american board :p

It would be interesting to see how many people on these boards are canadians, americans, russians, swedes, etc

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Dr.HelmutKohl is still my #1 hero voting for Germany. There's an optimist if I ever saw one :)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I've said it before, Canada can send an A, B, and C team to a world tournament and take 3 of the top 4 spots. Canada has to be the favorite. Czech Republic is my second choice with Vokoun as their goalie...I doubt Hasek will play after his groin surgery. It's a battle for third between Team USA, Sweden and Russia. Don't look past Finland with Kiprusoff likely as the #1 goalie...they do quite well in international competition.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No matter how good Canada is on paper, one thing is always constant, the top 5-6 teams always play each other pretty tough. I'm talking Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia and Czech Rep all play each other tough in big tournaments.

Finland and Slovakia could also be threats but I think are a slight step below the top 5 teams right now, but could also beat them on any given day.

Pretty much if the Semis come down to Canada vs. Czech Rep and Sweden vs. USA, you might as well just choose out of a hat, it will be that close of a game both ways.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
E = CH² said:
If I had USA in my top 3 would you feel better about my post ?

Obviously I was talking about those teams on paper. For all I know the team we'll ice could perform miserably and Finland could win it all. But the question was : who are your favourites to win the tourney ? The only way to look at it at this point is to compare each team on paper.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't see Sweden in the top three. That's me though. Anyway, my favorites:

1) Canada (hard to argue with their roster)
2) U.S. (underrated team IMO, and will be on "home ice")
3) Russia (talented, but questions linger)

I think that every team, with the exception of Canada has legitimate questions about it's roster. For some teams, it's goaltending, for some it's scoring punch. If the celestial bodies are aligned though, even a team like Finland can win.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I agree that even the B Canada team would be consider as a candidate like other countries.

But with that said, it doesnt mean the A team is anywhere close of a sure win. On paper, they must be the favorite team, but that doesnt mean 3 or 4 of the teams in this tournament can surprise them and win it all.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I believe Canada is the heavy favourite to win based on the projected lineups. That said I know there are other countries close by that could upset. I'd love to see a Canada-Russia gold medal game. Its about time for that I think. Russia hasn't beaten Canada at the highest level since Game 1 of the '87 CC Final. Here is why I think Canada should and will win this thing:

Brodeur - #1 is his to lose
Theodore - Has enough experience, is better than any non Canadian in the league
Luongo - Over Belfour I think. I'd feel safe having him in an elimination game

Pronger - Norris winner this year I'd say
Blake - Two-way threat
Redden - Textbook defender
Niedermayer - Need his speed
Foote - Shut down guy
Jovanovski - Played well in Olympics
Bouwmeester - Wouldnt look out of place

Spare: Brewer

Lemieux - If he's healthy look out
Sakic - Clutch
Kariya - Play him with Mario again
Thornton - Might even be #3 center!
Heatley - Should shine bright
Iginla - Total package
St. Louis - Sparkplug
Lecavalier - Good enough, talented enough
Gagne - His speed will come in handy
Smyth - Warrior in the trenches
Tanguay - Too good to leave off team I think
Madden - Checker for sure
Bertuzzi - If the dust has been settled by then, he's a wildcard

Spares: Marleau, Doan

Not bad. You look at Sweden and they may have a good team, but lack the depth. And Forsberg, Sundin, Alfreddson, Naslund aren't quite up there with Canada's top four forwards either whether it be Lemieux, Thornton, Sakic, Iginla, even Heatley. And the USA will have generally the same team from '96, '98 and '02. This time they are all 8 years older. Too old I think and not enough of a defense or a netminder to win it all. My luck Brett Hull and Mike Modano are going to click at the right time, so hopefully not. Russia has the only team whose forward crew can compete well with us but they still dont have the superstars we have. They may be the biggest threat I think. Sweden could do things to. I dont know it'll be a great tourny that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad