Which city should get a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
What about the revenue sharing? The salaries depend on revenue sharing and if you open new markets that means that the part of the revenue for each team gets smaller so the cap has to be lower. With the CBA in place I can't see salaries going below so it would be hard to establish a new team.

Slartibartfast

Jul 10, 2003
Willow Spring, NC
Visit site
Original6 said:
Well if it was so embarressing why can't I find any hard facts?

You OBVIOUSLY didn't watch the games. As was pointed out, Leaf fans were interviewed, but here's the kicker. Things were so bad in Carolina in terms of support, that Canadian companies bought ad space on the boards in Carolina! If you had watched those games, you would know that. It was so remarkable, I still remember it vividly. It had to have been terribly embarrasing to everyone associated with bringing hockey to Carolina (not that they did much better in Hartford, but that's another story).

That makes it pretty painfully obvious that there's simply not enough support for the Hurricanes. They're in the Eastern Conference Finals, and:

1) Cannot sell out the games.

2) Cannot even sell board space (visible on continent-wide TV, mind you) to local business.

Vote Quimby

Apr 6, 2005
Langley BC
tangible_faith said:
Why give them another chance? If there is any metro/populated area that gets another team it is Toronto.

As much as I hate the Leafs and Toronto in general , I have to agree that the Southern Ontario market could easily support another NHL team. Hamilton is the logical choice but even another Toronto team in the burbs (like the Islanders in New York) would work and quickly become strong team. I don't think Quebec or Winnipeg will ever get another team as their arenas are inadequate. The new Winnipeg arena is built for an AHL team, not NHL and Le Colisee was old during its original time.

With the new CBA, an additional team or two in Canada would probably succeed as they can share national TV money and hopefully get enough corprate support to become a middle of the road team. What about Regina (don't laugh)? I know its small but the Saskatchewan Roughriders are an institution there and have you ever met fans with more loyalty and pride then Riders fans? Huge longshot I know but they would draw better then a number of other teams in the NHL right now.

A Good Flying Bird*

Winnipeg ...

Wisconsin ... either Milwaukee ... what's the population of Madison?

Portland ...

Kansas City ...

Err ... I can't think of another one.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
trenton1 said:
Wisconsin.

Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee...makes no difference to me. It's probably the last expansive area in the US that has the hockey culture and enough of a population to have a shot with an NHL hockey franchise. A nice potential rival for the Wild too, I'd say.

The only city that makes any kind of sense in Wisconsin is Milwaukee, in terms of population to support an NHL team.

Green Bay only has roughly 100,000 people
Madison only about 220,000 people

Someone also mentioned that Milwaukee is bigger than Columbus, which isnt correct. Milwaukee has about 580,000 people, while Columbus is about 730,000. Maybe they meant Metro areas... I dont recall... but the metro areas are both about 1.6 million, which is plenty large enough for a team.

Milwaukee would be a good location to place a team, geographically. Within and 1-2 hour flight of the Wild, Wings, Jackets, Penguins, Blues, etc.

I honestly believe that Columbus, and Ohio for that matter, is one of the most over looked cities & states in the U.S., in terms of population. Ohio as over 11 million people. It easy to throw Columbus into the smaller cities and market section because the lack of Professional Sports teams in the past... but its a pretty large city.

Last edited:

Hockeycanada*

If Green Bay has a population of 100,000 and have the Packers thrive in the NFL I could see a team in Saskatchewan. Doesn't Saskatoon have the higher population right now(200,000), isn't Regina's population around 175,000? I'd put a team in Saskatoon and call them Saskatchewan ______, and there will be province wide support much like the Roughriders.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
canucks666 said:
All this leads me to conclude:
Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hartford, Hamilton, Portland = good.

the rest of the ideas = bad.

Which teams would I move? The ones with no history and poor attendanc:
Carolina, Phoenix - right near the top of the list. No support, no attendance, no roots. OUT.
Florida - two teams in that state? Can't move Tampa, so. OUT.
Chicago - horrible attendance, but the HISTORY! STAYS.
Pittsburgh - would've been right at the very top of my list to move, but Crosby has saved the franchise. STAYS.
Nashville - I would've also moved it but from what I hear people in Nashville are actually genuinly getting behind this team and getting excited. What'dyaknow. STAYS.
New Jersey - bad attendance but can't argue with teh dynasty. STAYS.
tangible_faith said:
No. I am far from a team in the US. I am against putting ANOTHER team in the US. We have tried to kater hockey to the US for years now. We have been expanding since the 60's(post original 6) and they are still trying to sell the game. It is the real fans in Canada that are losing out....Get rid of Raleigh, Miami, Atlanta, Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix, and replace them with Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec City. I would rather see a team in Grand Rapids than Raleigh or Hartford than Miami or even ALbany/Syracuse.
Funny how you guys want to get rid of Phoenix and give a team to Winnipeg considering the fact that our LOWEST attendance ever is 400 lower than Winnipeg's HIGHEST attendance ever. :shakehead

Hockeycanada*

coyoteshockeyfan said:
Funny how you guys want to get rid of Phoenix and give a team to Winnipeg considering the fact that our LOWEST attendance ever is 400 lower than Winnipeg's HIGHEST attendance ever. :shakehead
You don't think that has something to do with the capacity of the rinks? :shakehead

ProctorSilex

^^ That's kind of easy to do when you have a building that at full capacity didn't seat as much as in Phoenix.

Winnipeg was a better city for that team, and it's a damn shame they ever left.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hockeycanada said:
If Green Bay has a population of 100,000 and have the Packers thrive in the NFL I could see a team in Saskatchewan. Doesn't Saskatoon have the higher population right now(200,000), isn't Regina's population around 175,000? I'd put a team in Saskatoon and call them Saskatchewan ______, and there will be province wide support much like the Roughriders.
Thing is Green Bay has to sell 8 games on weekends and gets susidised with a massive tv contract. They are publicaly owned and alot some of their games to Milwaukee. It's closer to a college football model than anything.

Hockeycanada*

Hasbro said:
Thing is Green Bay has to sell 8 games on weekends and gets susidised with a massive tv contract. They are publicaly owned and alot some of their games to Milwaukee. It's closer to a college football model than anything.
Saskatoon has double to the population and only has to sell 1/2 the capacity. I think having a team in Saskatoon would be really cool.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Winnipeg will not be able to support an NHL team. Not possible. Quit dreaming.

The arena seats only 15,015. I'm sure it's a very nice arena, but it is not large enough to bring in a quality attendance. If you guys are *****ing about southern teams that draw 16K per night (say, Florida), what make you think Winnipeg will survive with only 15K?

G_FUNK_ERA

Aug 2, 2005
Here's a thought. If you guys are going to pick teams as possible relocation candidates try staying away from the teams that have had somewhat successful histories.

Definition of successful = at least 1 Stanley Cup in the individual teams history.

Pittsburgh will get their arena one way or another and IS NOT going to move.

History states that no teams who've won a Stanley Cup have relocated. Colorado won their cup the first year after relocating and this pi$$ed off Quebec Nordique fans and all of Canada for that matter.

Possible relocation candidates would include:

Carolina (can't draw flies and cannot seem to find corporate support)
Anaheim (two teams within 15 miles of each other? In southern Cal? C'mon now.)
Florida (see Anaheim except expand the distance between T-Bay and Miami)

That is all. :teach:

GBG BLEED BLUE

Jun 8, 2005
Saskatoon,Sask
www.whlfans.ca
I think Winnipeg should get a team again. If that were the case then The Brandon Weat Kings of the WHL would have to play all of there home games at the Keystone center and not some in Brandon and some in Winnipeg at the MTS center. So both of the teams would have their own arena.

G_FUNK_ERA

Aug 2, 2005
GoLeafsGo BLEED BLUE said:
I think Winnipeg should get a team again. If that were the case then The Brandon Weat Kings of the WHL would have to play all of there home games at the Keystone center and not some in Brandon and some in Winnipeg at the MTS center. So both of the teams would have their own arena.

I'm hoping my memory serves me correct, as last time I checked the only team to play at the MTS Center is the Manitoba Moose. From what I've seen, the Wheat Kings (WHL) only play their games in Brandon at the Keystone Center.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
Wisconsin would work. Madison, preferrably.

Quick guide to guaranteed success:
1. Put a team in Wisconsin.
2. Tell the people in Wisconsin that people in Illinois and Minnesota have been badmouthing the WI team.

My first preference, though, is to move the Whale back to Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad