• Olofsson

• Thomas

• Kupari

• Groulx

• McBain

Results are only viewable after voting.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
I’m sure you’re right. I guess I just don’t care until they’re farther along on their path to becoming an NHLer. Historically, the vast majority of prospects picked in that 23-27 range don’t amount to anything special.

Idk, the crops doesn't seem bad at all at that draft position especially in last 5 years:

2013: Burakovsky, Theodore
2014: Pastrnak, McCann, Goldobin
2015: Boeser, Konecny, Roslovic, Larsson, Juulsen
2016: Max Jones, Tage Thompson, Brett Howden (just got traded for McDon)
2017: Vesalainen, Poehling, Frost all look like the best prospects for their respective teams.

Chances aren't slim at all to grab an exciting prospect at least imo. Seems very likely to grab a solid NHLer (55-60%) with an ~8% chance (2/25) to grab a superstar/franchise player.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I have a hard time saying Toronto must take a Center. Here is why. I don't think we ever get to draft in that cream top 10 for a long time. This has to be BPA because the odds of an very good player even being there are long. 2015 was a freak year like I havent seen since 2003. If Hunter decides none of the centers at say 24th will ever play top 9, a defenseman or a PowerF makes sense. We are BPA at our spot.
I keep thinking Gauthier(17th) as an example, the last time we picked this low.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I dunno... I just can’t get excited about people I’ve never heard of, who will probably never amount to anything anyway.

these kids are among the top 30 players for their age group in the world..what have you ever done?

also the leafs are at 26 right now. recent #26 picks

2013 - Theodore (in the NHL)
2014 - Scherbak (in the NHL)
2015 - Juulsen (in the NHL)
2016 - Thompson (in the NHL)
2017 - Oettinger (consider the best goalie prospect of his draft class)

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
kotkaniemi or kupari can switch places so i'd pick either. theorically velano could drop as well.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’m sure you’re right. I guess I just don’t care until they’re farther along on their path to becoming an NHLer. Historically, the vast majority of prospects picked in that 23-27 range don’t amount to anything special.

you keep digging yourself a hole....there have been multiple talented guys picked in that range of late.
Theodore/Pastrnak/Boeser were the best of 2013-2015 in that range. Skjei went 28 in 2012, Namestikov 27 in 2011, Kuznetsov 27 in 2010, Palmieri 26 in 2009, Carlson 27 in 2008, Backlund 24 in 2007, Varlamov 23 in 2006.

there has basically been a star picked in that range every year for the last decade. most years have at least 2 other solid NHLers in that range as well

Reactions: saffronleaf

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
these kids are among the top 30 players for their age group in the world..what have you ever done?

also the leafs are at 26 right now. recent #26 picks

2013 - Theodore (in the NHL)
2014 - Scherbak (in the NHL)
2015 - Juulsen (in the NHL)
2016 - Thompson (in the NHL)
2017 - Oettinger (consider the best goalie prospect of his draft class)

These people are supposed to impress me? :laugh:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
These people are supposed to impress me? :laugh:

well when you make an ignorant comment like they are unlikely to ever amount to anything and 4 straight #26 make the NHL..it kinda puts you in your place. the leafs would kill for a dman like theodore right about now btw

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
you keep digging yourself a hole....there have been multiple talented guys picked in that range of late.
Theodore/Pastrnak/Boeser were the best of 2013-2015 in that range. Skjei went 28 in 2012, Namestikov 27 in 2011, Kuznetsov 27 in 2010, Palmieri 26 in 2009, Carlson 27 in 2008, Backlund 24 in 2007, Varlamov 23 in 2006.

there has basically been a star picked in that range every year for the last decade. most years have at least 2 other solid NHLers in that range as well

They’re what you call diamonds in the rough. Everyone else picked around them sucked.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
well when you make an ignorant comment like they are unlikely to ever amount to anything and 4 straight #26 make the NHL..it kinda puts you in your place. the leafs would kill for a dman like theodore right about now btw

Lol every first round pick makes the NHL. Their team gives them a chance no matter how much they suck. What do they do once in the NHL?

Unimpressive group of yours.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Move up, draft Jesperi Kotkaniemi
If we are looking to go C with the 1st rd pick, I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to grab him depending on the price. I currently have him ranked 10th OA. He is a great prospect.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I’ve been enjoying these threads just to familiarize myself with some of the prospects likely to be available at our position.

I think you should do a winger one next... even though it’s not really a position of need, I wouldn’t hate it if we ended up drafting a gritty skilled power forward if they happened to be best player available.

Then maybe after you could do another one combining the top two winners for centres defense and wingers :thumbu:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I seems like some Swedes are late bloomers and not so well scouted. And thats a bigger possibility to find a hidden gem statisticly. But thars just a feeling...

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thomas won't be a C at the next level. He doesn't generate enough speed through the neutral zone to use the ice up the middle and he's not good/competitive enough in scrums/loose-puck, 1 on 1 battles...primarily because he's held back because of his size. The reason why some smaller centers like Point can stick around as a C as a smaller player is he's incredibly dynamic, quick, and can make use of all that open ice. He also has the skating to cover a ton of ground. Other smaller centers like Crosby just have ridiculous lower body strength. I don't think Thomas is particularly strong at any of those facets to project as a C at the next level, let alone one under Babcock's expectations.

I'm as optimistic as anyone that we have the organization and willpower to develop a C (which is why I'm at least mildly optimistic this team can take Foudy, perhaps with our 2nd, and try to hit a home-run with him as a C) but there has to be some projection involved when you consider, who is going to be a C at the next level, particularly under the pretenses of Babcock.

Between the 5, I go Kupari, but there's no chance he drops to our pick.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Personally I'd take a defenseman or a winger in the 20's this year

None of the centers projected in the 20's type range are particularly interesting and I don't want to draft any of those guys there

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Lol every first round pick makes the NHL. Their team gives them a chance no matter how much they suck. What do they do once in the NHL?

Unimpressive group of yours.
I don't understand why you're in this thread. You stated you don't know who any of these players are and clearly don't want to learn, so what value are you adding?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don't understand why you're in this thread. You stated you don't know who any of these players are and clearly don't want to learn, so what value are you adding?

I was wondering the same thing.

not everyone is just a casual fan who doesn't even know the names of the upcoming first rd picks not named Dahlin

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Thomas won't be a C at the next level. He doesn't generate enough speed through the neutral zone to use the ice up the middle and he's not good/competitive enough in scrums/loose-puck, 1 on 1 battles...primarily because he's held back because of his size. The reason why some smaller centers like Point can stick around as a C as a smaller player is he's incredibly dynamic, quick, and can make use of all that open ice. He also has the skating to cover a ton of ground. Other smaller centers like Crosby just have ridiculous lower body strength. I don't think Thomas is particularly strong at any of those facets to project as a C at the next level, let alone one under Babcock's expectations.

I'm as optimistic as anyone that we have the organization and willpower to develop a C (which is why I'm at least mildly optimistic this team can take Foudy, perhaps with our 2nd, and try to hit a home-run with him as a C) but there has to be some projection involved when you consider, who is going to be a C at the next level, particularly under the pretenses of Babcock.

I bet most woulda said that about liljegren too.

I put Kupari there ebcause there IS a chance he drops that low. its looking unlikely though as his stock has improved.
honestly though im hoping for Merkley and the leafs being able to turn him into Ryan Ellis 2.0.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

I can't see him as an NHL center either

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I bet most woulda said that about liljegren too.

I put Kupari there ebcause there IS a chance he drops that low. its looking unlikely though as his stock has improved.
honestly though im hoping for Merkley and the leafs being able to turn him into Ryan Ellis 2.0.
I'd avoid merkley, at least in the first round. His attitude isn't the best and he takes way to many risks that he doesn't even try to cover for if they go wrong. Now if we move back and he's there and we have another pick... I might consider him. To me though there are too many red flags.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->