Which American city is a natural for an new NHL franchise?

puckhead103*

hockydude5000 said:
I support southern teams, yet I find your comment ridiculous. The hockey base is really large down there, I'm sure any corporation down there would support a new NHL expansion team. Plus, I believe Winnipeg has a new arena that's expandable. A hockey team in Winnipeg or Quebec City is really a no-brainer.
i'm talking about canadian cities...not southern cities....southern cities have the right ingredients...population, plenty of disposable income, corporate support...

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
puckhead103 said:
i'm talking about canadian cities...not southern cities....southern cities have the right ingredients...population, plenty of disposable income, corporate support...

I was talkng about Canadian Cities, read my comment more closely.

GSC2k2*

hockydude5000 said:
I support southern teams, yet I find your comment ridiculous. The hockey base is really large down there, I'm sure any corporation down there would support a new NHL expansion team. Plus, I believe Winnipeg has a new arena that's expandable. A hockey team in Winnipeg or Quebec City is really a no-brainer.
You people will never, ever get it. I am convinced.

"Hockey bases" (whatever you may think that means) are irrelevant for purposes of market viability. There is one - and only one - criterion that matters to a team surviving or not surviving in the modern business of sports (not just hockey, but any sport). That criterion is a corporate base. Teams rise and fall on sales to the corporate base, including (most significantly) the corporate boxes.

You can fill an arena to the rafters with 18,000 fans. Unless you have sold a bunch of boxes, however, along with a bunch of sponsorships, you are doomed to economic catastrophe. Fans do not buy boxes. Organizations buy boxes.

That, and that alone, is why Winnipeg does not have and is not going to get a team. That is why every thread like this that mentions Hamilton (where I live) is an utter joke.

Yes, a hockey team in Winnipeg and Quebec City are no-brainers, but, however, not in the way that I think you intend.

GSC2k2*

As for Hamilton specifically ...

stan17 said:
Population how about over 5 million within a half an hour drive.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Sniff ... sniff ... sorry, I had to pick myself up off the floor.

Apparently you don't live anywhere near the Golden Triangle. There are parts of Burlington (pop 120k) that are NOT within a half hour of Hamilton. Traffic is horrendous between Hamilton and Toronto (and everywhere else, for that matter - kitchener/Waterloo too) in rush hour.

I lived on Hamilton mountain and that was 15 minutes away from Copps - if the traffic was good.

Arena ... Copps was designed to accommodate expansion including luxury boxes. Support .. when they lost to Ottawa Hamilton had 15,000 season tickets sold within hours, Canada Cups, World Cups, World Junior Championships. Natural rivalries look no further than Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal

Sorry again. By NHL standards, Copps is a dump. Boxes? It is to laugh.

Plus, there is no corporate support in Hamilton. See above regarding what matters in sports economics today.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
gscarpenter2002 said:
"Hockey bases" (whatever you may think that means) are irrelevant for purposes of market viability. There is one - and only one - criterion that matters to a team surviving or not surviving in the modern business of sports (not just hockey, but any sport). That criterion is a corporate base. Teams rise and fall on sales to the corporate base, including (most significantly) the corporate boxes.

Actually, I think any corporation in Winnipeg would support an NHL team. With the tradition of hockey as deep down there as it is, companies down there would pay big dough for boxes down there. Also, you can make Winnipeg and Quebec City's franchises publicly-traded, similar to Green Bay. Using this system, both franchises would be viable. Plus, 18,000 people make more cash than a few boxes (though sponsorships are different).

GSC2k2*

72projectmgr said:
Toronto is a very bad example of how a big fan base works. The Control that Maple leaf Sport & Entertainment have on the city is unbelievable. The only OHL team is the St. Micheals Majors owned by Eugene Melnyk (ottawa senators) and they play at St. Micheals Arena and it can only hold 1200. The Other team in Toronto is the Toronto marlies (AHL) owned by the Maple leafs. Now they play at the Ricoh Centre which is operated my the Maple leafs, now you would think that Eugene melnyk would play at the Ricoh Centre but ever since Melnyk attempted to buy the old Maple Leaf Gardens they dont even talk never mind share the sidewalk(big fued). The ticket prices at the AHL games are the same price as watching a Sabres game in Buffalo-not worth going.

Now if there was another team in Toronto-the blue nation would disapear very fast-if you take the worst team and locate them in Toronto it would be sold out.
Can you give an example of a "big fan base" that works differently?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad