Which American city is a natural for an new NHL franchise?

GWhale*

Gnashville said:
blamebettman said:
Thousands of Empty Seats :biglaugh:
Game 1 Attendance 17,113 (every seat in the house)
Game 2 Attendance 16,707 (Sunday game starting at noon still only 400 no shows)
Game 5 Attendance 16,016 (team was going to be elimniated it only game around a thousand)
They didn't slash prices either the were raised for the Playoffs, and the only seats the went unsold were around 200 bucks a pop.

But why let facts get in the way of your rant

Not to say those are wrong, I have no idea, but I just want to point out that one thing I've definitely realized is that published attendance counts are completely unreliable, and sometimes just completely wrong.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
VanIslander said:
Try to avoid talking about it but... there's an elephant in the room: Houston.

One of the major media centres in America, needing only a fraction of the community to be viable, and presenting a natural rivalry with Dallas that will heat up the first time Houston beats Dallas (cover page of the dailies for sure).

I wanna see a Portland/Seattle team though.

Bingo. Houston has all that plus one more important thing - an owner (Les Alexander) who already owns the Houston Rockets, controls an almost brand-spanking-new arena (Toyota Center), and would love to have two pro sports tenants.

As soon as Alexander expresed an interest, Houston jumped to the top spot in the relocation derby.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
GWhale said:
Gnashville said:
one thing I've definitely realized is that published attendance counts are completely unreliable, and sometimes just completely wrong.

Sounds to me like you're thinkin' about callin' a secretary at the NHL head office.

Well, friend, best get in line, 'cause a whole bunch of us are on hold as we speak, tryin' to get the true facts in this ever-unfolding conspiracy...

I don't know why the NHL doesn't just rename a rink "Arena 41," with all the conspiracies and shenannigans goin' on.

I'm serious, so stop yer laughin'...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
No offense to the southern market, they have some great hockey fans, but I feel their time is numbered (The smaller markets, not Atlanta, Dallas and one of the florida teams) with the abysmal playoff attendances. Yes, I know they get sweetheart arena deals, but there are (and will be even more) offers like that everywhere in america. Let's look at the list:

Oklahoma: Waiting for someone to be available.
Hartford: If they ever get arena, will follow suit.
Kansas City: They are in phase one of oklahoma.
Las Vegas: Do not quite know where they are at right now, but they will be around pretty soon.
Houston: Been ready for years including expansion in 97, but had no suitable arena, they do now, and Les Alexander wants to fill dates in the Toyota center.
Portland: Sloppy situation with the Trailblazers, if the team moves to Oklahoma, Vegas, Vancouver wherever I doubt the Rose Garden owners are going to let it just sit there with no tennant.
Seattle: Who knows...

There are options, and less margin for error.

Hockeyfan6781

Mar 2, 2003
Hamburg, NY
Solfjäder said:
How about Madison? The Kohl arena should be suitable (I'm not sure if College Rink Regulations are the same as the NHL's), and they could maybe build a new arena and move in after it's built. Madison doesn't have many major sport franchises, and it's a pretty big hockey town.
was thinking the same thing

GWhale*

Timmy said:
GWhale said:
Sounds to me like you're thinkin' about callin' a secretary at the NHL head office.

Well, friend, best get in line, 'cause a whole bunch of us are on hold as we speak, tryin' to get the true facts in this ever-unfolding conspiracy...

I don't know why the NHL doesn't just rename a rink "Arena 41," with all the conspiracies and shenannigans goin' on.

I'm serious, so stop yer laughin'...

I personally don't give a toss what they do, but I just think people should be aware that published counts are often not true, and are, in my opinion, meaningless.

Victory Ali*

Believe or not there is a hardcore fanbase of hockey fans in Seattle and from the surrounding areas here in Seattle. Our neighboring sister cities Everett and Tacoma (both of whom have or had vibrant WHL and WCHL teams) have a devoted fans for their teams. Going to a Sabercat game in Tacoma is actually what turned me onto hockey. I actually see more Canuck and NHL clothing here than NBA or MLB at my work. This area could support and sustain a team.

The biggest problem as has been mentioned over and over is the issue of an arena. However, there is a lot of talk about re-modeling Key Arena and even talk of some new stadiums around town. The Sonics are supposedly moving to Renton (this ghetto *** suburb where I'm from... if you know the area you know that's ridiculous) I think there's a lot of possibilities here to bring in a team.

The Thunderbirds originally suffered from horrible marketing but with their games being broadcasted on Comcast here and with a new marketing approach they seem to be much improving. I went to a playoff game last season (my first playoff game) and the attendance and atmosphere was great (the upper sections are closed off... I don't know why)

Seattle is a fair-weathered town first and foremost, we only like successful teams. However, from everything I've seen in my town Baseball is king here. Followed by football. And then basketball. I think hockey could be the number two sport in town here following the Mariners.

I really think Seattle could sustain a team.

BChockeyfan

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
kdb209 said:
Bingo. Houston has all that plus one more important thing - an owner (Les Alexander) who already owns the Houston Rockets, controls an almost brand-spanking-new arena (Toyota Center), and would love to have two pro sports tenants.

As soon as Alexander expresed an interest, Houston jumped to the top spot in the relocation derby.

It also doesn't hurt that Bettman is already familiar with Alexander from his NBA days.

I've heard that when the Dallas Stars franchise was granted, the NHL promised Tom Hicks there would be another team in Texas within 10 years. Anybody else know or heard of this?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
BChockeyfan said:
It also doesn't hurt that Bettman is already familiar with Alexander from his NBA days.
Actually no. Bettman was hired in '92 and became NHL commisioner on Feb 1, 1993. Alexander didn't buy the Rockets until July '93. There was no overlap of their times in the NBA.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
To answer the OP's first question - I'd say there isn't a "natural" expansion site in the lot. If there was, you'd have to figure the NHL would have gone there already.

I'm wondering if OKC might not be the place to go. I saw the mayor on that Rogers Sportsnet radio/tv show and if he's to be believed, OKC is hot and heavy to get a pro team of any kind. I think there would be a real marketing advantage to being the first pro team in town. In a 'marginal' city such as OKC, there would probably only be room enough for one pro team anyway. To use a CFL analogy, I'm wondering if the NHL couldn't create the same kind of fanatical fan base that the Saskatchewan Roughriders have. I really think there's something to be said about being the only game in town.

Any OKC residents care to step up and represent for your city?

72projectmgr

May 3, 2006
Mace_37 said:
Does anyone know why Minnesota lost their team in the first place?

And I could see Toronto getting a second team, look at LA and NY. I think that they could support one, even if it isn't the number team in the city I think they'd fare well. Look at Anahiem and the Islanders. Maybe not directly in Toronto, but I think that Ontario could support a third team.
And with the new cap, I think that QC would put up the money for an arena. After that they could support a team, as long as they don't go like Ottawa and build their arena on a highway strip.

I totally agree with placing a second team in Toronto! :yo:

New York has 3 teams and Los Angeles has 2- Hockey Fans are Hockey fans and then you have the Blue Nation but the Hockey Fan Group is much bigger especially when you take away the CBC element because soon everybody will have to subscibe to Maple Leaf TV. The Bell-Global media is positioning themselves quietly right now as we speak. Tannenbaums 13% will go along way in Thompson corner. :clap: :yo:

weezman

blamebettman said:
Nashville is a disaster, they slash ticket prices and still can't sell out playoff games. now you want a team in east bumble***** Kansas City? why? just because they have an arena? who cares, they have no demand for hockey in that area!

the nhl needs contraction more than anything else

The missouri/Kansas area is just too small and remote, and whatever hockey fans that exist there are Blues fans...and they don't have a large fan base either, just barely enough to survive.

Houston is a terrible sports town by the way, they lost a football franchise and the astros used to have 20000 empty seats for playoff game (that's why enron field was built to such a small capacity)

and you did stay at a holiday inn express last night? :dunno:

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
hockeyfan6781 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfjäder
How about Madison? The Kohl arena should be suitable (I'm not sure if College Rink Regulations are the same as the NHL's), and they could maybe build a new arena and move in after it's built. Madison doesn't have many major sport franchises, and it's a pretty big hockey town.

was thinking the same thing

I love the Mad City, but c'mon--it's barely in the top 100 US Metro areas. Big difference between Badger hockey at $22 a game and NHL prices...

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Saint Teemu said:
To answer the OP's first question - I'd say there isn't a "natural" expansion site in the lot. If there was, you'd have to figure the NHL would have gone there already.

I'm wondering if OKC might not be the place to go. I saw the mayor on that Rogers Sportsnet radio/tv show and if he's to be believed, OKC is hot and heavy to get a pro team of any kind. I think there would be a real marketing advantage to being the first pro team in town. In a 'marginal' city such as OKC, there would probably only be room enough for one pro team anyway. To use a CFL analogy, I'm wondering if the NHL couldn't create the same kind of fanatical fan base that the Saskatchewan Roughriders have. I really think there's something to be said about being the only game in town.
Any OKC residents care to step up and represent for your city?

*cough* COLUMBUS!! *cough*

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
bbison said:
I love the Mad City, but c'mon--it's barely in the top 100 US Metro areas. Big difference between Badger hockey at $22 a game and NHL prices...

That is the average price of an NHL game in a lot of markets give or take a few dollars.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
1 Las Vegas - giving the NHL a presence in the biggest gambling market in the world can mean alot of good stuff for revenue.

2. Houston - 4th largest US market, might help in making a lil more interest in the south

3. Seattle or Portland - No presence in the northwest, one of these to cities in perfect location to change that.

and just for a joke

4. Chicago team 2 - NY has 3 teams, LA has 2 teams why not chicago. Could give the great fans of the Chicago area a reason to say FU to bill wirtz.

Last edited:

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Wisent said:
Anchorage.

Never happen until planes travel alot faster. right now just to get to Seattle is about 3 hours. If you want to go to the East Coast it's about 9 hours. You could drive but that would take a few days depending on where you are.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Markov#79 said:
That would be sexy. But they should start with an AHL franchise first... anyone know what is the ancorage population ?

272,687 with the other cities about an hour away I think you could bump that up to about 300,000 or a little more. Though I guess we are getting a arena football team which is kind of cool even though I don't like football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage,_Alaska#Sports

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
AdmiralPred said:
*cough* O S U *cough*

It is funny how CBJ attendance seems to improve (for Saturday games) after football season and the Columbus Dispatch starts to recognize that we have a hockey team after Jan 1st.

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
boredmale said:
1 Las Vegas - giving the NHL a presence in the biggest gambling market in the world can mean alot of good stuff for revenue.

2. Houston - 4th largest US market, might help in making a lil more interest in the south

3. Seattle or Portland - No presence in the northwest, one of these to cities in perfect location to change that.

and just for a joke

4. Chicago team 2 - NY has 3 teams, LA has 2 teams why not chicago. Could give the great fans of the Chicago area a reason to say FU to bill wirtz.

I agree with numbers 1-3. They all make sense and would be a perfect fit for the NHL. Number 4 makes me laugh however. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad