Which American cities are most like Canadian ones?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I used to be always amazed when Americans can relate to us Canadians. When it comes to hockey we have common ground which is great. I imagine most border cities know about Canadian culture and see shows on CBC and other Canadian networks so there is a kind of kinship.

I see Seattle (which I think should have an NHL team), the Twin Cities, Detroit, Buffalo as major cities with people that at least have better knowledge about Canada than most. Can anyone give me other major cities in that vein?

I can think of Portland OR and ME, Cleveland? New YOrk (becuse it is cosmopolitan), but after that I draw a blank.

Transported Upstater

Tyrolean said:
I used to be always amazed when Americans can relate to us Canadians. When it comes to hockey we have common ground which is great. I imagine most border cities know about Canadian culture and see shows on CBC and other Canadian networks so there is a kind of kinship.

I see Seattle (which I think should have an NHL team), the Twin Cities, Detroit, Buffalo as major cities with people that at least have better knowledge about Canada than most. Can anyone give me other major cities in that vein?

I can think of Portland OR and ME, Cleveland? New YOrk (becuse it is cosmopolitan), but after that I draw a blank.

For some reason, Pittsburgh and Hamilton remind me of each other.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Buffalo might as well be a canadian city in America lol. Nah I think a lot of cities will be like Canadian ones and the other way as well, after all both nations were founded by the same people for the most part.

Ogopogo*

Tyrolean said:

Seattle is not a hockey city at all. They have trouble drawing 3,000 for WHL playoff games, I don't think the NHL would be successful there.

Transported Upstater

Ogopogo said:
Seattle is not a hockey city at all. They have trouble drawing 3,000 for WHL playoff games, I don't think the NHL would be successful there.

It's funny, because just a bit north in Everett, they have a terrific fan base.

Skroob*

TransportedUpstater said:
For some reason, Pittsburgh and Hamilton remind me of each other.

nice. I can cross Hamilton off of my "places to visit list" :sarcasm:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tyrolean said:

Green Bay is like Edmonton

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto and San Fransisco. At least in a "lifestyle" type of way. Can see the relation yet? I'll give you a hint. If the Village People were Canadian they probably would be more accepted and want to live in Toronto. (just kidding, but still I'm serious)

Minnesota seems to be like a lot of Canadian cities, much of the same weather and lifestyle. Plus not to forget they wouldnt need the Foxtrack to follow the puck

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I visited Toronto a few years ago, and I honestly couldn't say that it seemed like a foreign city to me. At one point, it reminded me of an uneventful New York City. Maybe it reminded me of someplace like the Upper West Side close to the Hudson River or something. It is one of the reasons that Toronto is often used as the filming location for movies set in New York City.

I drove from Detroit to Toronto then, and the rural/suburban parts of Ontario made me think that I could have been taken there and told that I was in parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts or Ohio, and I would have believed it.

The only thing that was strange to me was when I was heading to the border at Niagara Falls, I stopped for gas. After I went in to pay, I grabbed a couple of bottles of Dr. Pepper because I still had a fairly long drive to get to Niagara Falls. The girl at the register said, "Just the two bottles of pop." I had once heard a friend of my brother call soda "soda pop" when I was really young, but it was the first time I ever heard someone say "pop." I knew that it was the word used for soda in some regions, but it sounded unusual the first time I heard it uttered.

Montreal and the southern portion of Province de Quebec certainly did seem like I was in another world. Even the design of the side of the highways and the farms let me know I was in a different country. Besides the just simply the French language, the culture and architecture also reminded me of France.

Montreal reminds me of pre-Katrina New Orleans, Louisiana, specifically the French Quarter, because of the French influence on the respective cities.

Tyrolean said:
Seattle and Vancouver. Both are in the Pacific Northwest.
Wouldn't Vancouver be in the Pacific Southwest?

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Toronto and San Fransisco. At least in a "lifestyle" type of way. Can see the relation yet? I'll give you a hint. If the Village People were Canadian they probably would be more accepted and want to live in Toronto. (just kidding, but still I'm serious)
I take it that you have never passed through the East Village of New York City. The Village People, I would be willing to wager, were very accepted there.

"What's with this neighborhood? It's so manly... and scented."
-- Homer Simpson

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
There was once a great injustice carried out and the Province of Alaska became the State of Alaska by horrible mistake. :propeller

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I've only been to Toronto, Montreal, and Ottowa for short periods of time, but, Boulder, Colorado, reminded me of a smaller Toronto.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
hmmm....

van-sf
cal-den
edm-min
reg-ind
sas-kc
wpg-gary/chi
tb-mil
ssm-cle *edit* sault ste. marie, on = sault ste. marie, mi :propeller
ham-pit
tor-nyc
otw-dc
mtl-bos/no
que-por/no

:dunno:

btw: I think maybe about 10% of Twin Cities h.s. students would be able to name the two provinces to the north of us :eek:

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

sushinsky4tsar said:
hmmm....

van-sf
cal-den
edm-min
reg-ind
sas-kc
wpg-gary/chi
tb-mil
ssm-cle
ham-pit
tor-nyc
otw-dc
mtl-bos/no
que-por/no

:dunno:

btw: I think maybe about 10% of Twin Cities h.s. students would be able to name the two provinces to the north of us :eek:

That is a pretty decent assesment. :)

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Everest said:
There was once a great injustice carried out and the Province of Alaska became the State of Alaska by horrible mistake. :propeller

And we think Americans need history lessons..... :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad