Which 5 listed goalies are your best?

Which 5 listed goalies are your best?

• Total voters

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Tough to leave out Sawchuk, but I did. Tretiak is also right there.

Roy, Hasek, Plante, Brodeur, Hall for me.. but the last two were tough and I might pick something else tomorrow.
Same five with the same indecisiveness about Sawchuk vs Hall

I also have Hasek slightly ahead of Roy but you can’t go wrong with either, it’s basically a 1A/1B scenario

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Tough to leave out Sawchuk, but I did. Tretiak is also right there.

Roy, Hasek, Plante, Brodeur, Hall for me.. but the last two were tough and I might pick something else tomorrow.
Top 3 are the same top 3 for me, ended up going Hall and Tretiak over Brodeur and Sawchuk but ask on a different day and I could easily have either of those two in my top 5 if not both.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
This guy doesn’t miss
I had the same but I swapped Brodeur for Vezina. Never seen pics or video of him or know any of his stats but if the best goalie trophy is named after him, he must be 1 of the all time top 5 lol

Reactions: Play

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Hasek, Roy, Sawchuk, Plante, and Brodeur.

In 1997, when the Hockey News had a big historical panel ranking the top 100 players of all-time, Sawchuk was the top ranked goaltender.

So I am surprised that he isn't appearing on more people's top 5 in this thread.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The two ahead of Sawchuk that I question are Tretiak and Dryden.

Tretiak put up a lot of good numbers when he was on a stacked USSR team against a bunch of overwhelmed opponents in the Olympics and World Championships. But his numbers clearly declined most of the time when in an actual best-on-best situation or against better competition (1972, 1974, 1976, 1980). He did have a couple of good performances in best-on-best or against better competition, but the bad performances were more frequent than the good performances. He was a very good goaltender, but not at Sawchuk's level.

As for Dryden? Again, a good goaltender. But I believe someone's pet cat or pet dog could have won Stanley Cups playing behind the 1976-1979 Montreal Canadiens team. Just look at their roster and how far above everyone else they were. Sawchuk was better.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Hasek
Plante
Roy

(small gap)

Hall

(small gap)

Brodeur

Hall only being in 19% of top 5s is crazy to me

Reactions: Crow

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hasek, Roy, Sawchuk, Plante, and Brodeur.

In 1997, when the Hockey News had a big historical panel ranking the top 100 players of all-time, Sawchuk was the top ranked goaltender.

So I am surprised that he isn't appearing on more people's top 5 in this thread.
The history community has taken a really deep dive on Sawchuk's career and he is usually third of his era (behind Plante and Hall) for those familiar with the era.

He has an unreal peak, but outside his 5 season peak he struggled.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Roy, Hasek, Plante, Dryden, Tretiak

I vaguely remember guys like Plante, Sawchuk and Hall at the very end of their careers, but can't fairly judge them except through old videos and partial stats. Plante gets a nod because he backstopped one of the great historic dynasties, and even today his numbers look outstanding.

The other four – Roy, Hasek, Dryden and Tretiak* – I watched on TV and live, and feel qualified to say they were the best on this list.

It's hard to say much about Vezina and Brimsek. Not the fairest comparison to lump semi-recent goalies with goalies from a century earlier.

*Like most of us, I'm including Tretiak because of his incredible performance in international tournaments. I didn't watch him game to game on his CSKA Moskva teams.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Dryden is underrated but he's easily top 5 IMO

I have him above Plante but behind Hasek and Roy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad