Where's the Queen?

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Just to add to this...
a reading of the Federalist papers shows rather clearly that the founding fathers were 'suspicious' of democracy, the 'rule of the many'--hence their eagerness for a balance of powers, a system of checks and balances. I applaud Madison, Jay, and Hamilton for that! I think a republican system is fine provided that it can generate civic virtue--if not, yikes!!!
Furthermore, and somewhat ironically, one could argue that an Englishman was the 'founder' of the U.S. given the influence (and appropriation) of John Locke's political philosophy on Jefferson and others.
And, to date, the best book ever written on American democracy was authored by a Frenchman: Tocqueville (who I should add paid a visit to Saginaw on his 'American tour'!)
Sorry for babbling...
The only time that I see the Queen at the Bud Gardens is when I pull out a $20 bill to buy a hot chocolate.
In recent years, a number of American hockey players have represented the London Knights and I'm quite happy about that.

Check out the big brain on Nelli!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well I could not find "waldo" - definitely not anywhere in the main bowl - have to scour the halls on Thursday - and yes I don't really care if I do find the queen but it has just sparked my interest.
Well I got through everywhere last night including the community rink side and she is nowhere to be found - best guess she is still hanging on the wall at the "the barn". Seems she does not spark the interest like she use to:)

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
In Kitchener, she was unceremoniously dumped in the name of the almighty dollar. There are private boxes where she used to hang. And there's no plans to put her back anywhere else in the building because it would take up valuable ad revenue space.

I'm not really a big fan of the Royal family, but I am a traditionalist and nothing spells tradition more in Canadian hockey rinks than a portrait of the Queen.

That would explain why I couldn't remember where she was in Kitchener. Though I do like Kitchener's tradition of having flags representing the nationalities of their players up in the rafters. Is this something practiced everywhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad