Where would Bryan Little and Peter Mueller go in this year's draft?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'm not trying to belittle Little (pun intended!). But at some point people have to stop dogging this class
If it helps any, I didn't say I'd take Little or Mueller ahead of Kane. I wouldn't. Kane would be my #1 pick. I don't know exactly where I would slot Little in, although I'm certainly biased in favour of him as my favourite OHL player, hence I'd probably take him higher than he really should be taken, just on pure favouritism. I'm not dogging this class at all. I just really like Little. As you say, this year's top-5 really could leap out and surprise some people, I agree. Kane is an elite talent. But he's also the only guy in the top-5 who I see frequently, so I don't think I could venture to draw the other top-5 guys into the comparison.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
But I think that's the problem with this whole question. Everyone is basing their opinion on what Mueller and Little are today, not what they were on draft day. The question is biased. Everyone's opinion would change if 07 drafties were a year older too. I just can't see how Little would be a highter draftie if he was actually in his draft year compared to the kids this year.

And I still don't think Mueller is number one overall talent (in his draft year!)

I'd STILL take Mueller on Draft Day 2006 over anyone else on Draft Day 2007. Mueller is a guaranteed top-line guy. Kane may or may not be better offensively, but there are no questions about Mueller's size and strength.

And of course Mueller isn't a number one overall talent (in his draft year)... look at the top end talent of last years draft:help:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
When you have the choice between an amazingly talented player with defensive deficiencies like Kane and a talented player who's alright defensively like Little, you take the former every time. It's a lot easier to take a kid to play defense than it is to teach him to score, which is pretty much impossible. Yeah Kane is small, so is Little. Maybe if Little were amazing in his own end and profiled as a big-time two way player in the NHL, this would be different, but he doesn't. There's too big a difference in their respective skill levels to justify Little over Kane.

Now Mueller over Kane, fine. That's a reasonable opinion and I'd be inclined to agree.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd STILL take Mueller on Draft Day 2006 over anyone else on Draft Day 2007. Mueller is a guaranteed top-line guy. Kane may or may not be better offensively, but there are no questions about Mueller's size and strength.

And of course Mueller isn't a number one overall talent (in his draft year)... look at the top end talent of last years draft:help:

well ofcourse Mueller is a top line forward to you, he has had a year to progress after the draft. You cant compare anyone from last years draft to this years without being biased on their level of play this season positive or negative. If you really want to be accurate, then you compare Mueller and Little to this draft class next year...and many might laugh at the thought of anyone mentioning Little and Mueller in the same breath as Kane come next year. IMO.

This is just a silly argument that really cant hold its water. I love Mueller and Little, but they were drafted on yes their talent, but also what they were projected to turn into. Its not fair to compare these 2 to anyone in this draft that hasnt had a chance to showcase themselves AFTER the draft.

I would still go Kane #1, then JVR, then Mueller, Voracek, Turris, then Little...but thats just MO, wait till next year to ask this question.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
well ofcourse Mueller is a top line forward to you, he has had a year to progress after the draft. You cant compare anyone from last years draft to this years without being biased on their level of play this season positive or negative. If you really want to be accurate, then you compare Mueller and Little to this draft class next year...and many might laugh at the thought of anyone mentioning Little and Mueller in the same breath as Kane come next year. IMO.

This is just a silly argument that really cant hold its water. I love Mueller and Little, but they were drafted on yes their talent, but also what they were projected to turn into. Its not fair to compare these 2 to anyone in this draft that hasnt had a chance to showcase themselves AFTER the draft.

I would still go Kane #1, then JVR, then Mueller, Voracek, Turris, then Little...but thats just MO, wait till next year to ask this question.

Ok, since you don't agree with it it must be a silly argument that doesn't hold its water. :shakehead

The fact is that both Mueller and Kane are born in 1988. Although they are different draft years, they have played the exact same number of years of hockey and are thus at the same development stage.

Either way, there is obviously a chance that Kane can be better than Mueller. However, Mueller doesn't have size issues - which alot of NHL teams still are wary of -which would make at least some teams take Mueller over Kane.

And if you'd take JVR over Mueller, then all the power to you.

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice

Yep. Nearly everobody's saying that this draft is weak, but I tell you: It is as strong as any other. No Crosby maybe; but no [censored] players also in the first round.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Mueller would be in the top 5 easily... and would content for the number 1 spot. IMO though, I'd take Kane, JVR, and Cherepanov over him.

Little would be in the top 10 easily, but I think he's a knotch under guys like Turris, Gagner, and Alzner.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ok, since you don't agree with it it must be a silly argument that doesn't hold its water. :shakehead

The fact is that both Mueller and Kane are born in 1988. Although they are different draft years, they have played the exact same number of years of hockey and are thus at the same development stage.

Either way, there is obviously a chance that Kane can be better than Mueller. However, Mueller doesn't have size issues - which alot of NHL teams still are wary of -which would make at least some teams take Mueller over Kane.

And if you'd take JVR over Mueller, then all the power to you.

It is a silly argument, there is no validity here. I dont care what their ages are, the FACT is the players drafted last year have had another year to show their progress or digression in our eyes. After you get drafted, then it becomes the real challenge of living up to that hype..but it is still a ton of hype that you are getting. You now become an organizations top prospect/hope instead of some kid from the CHL or College.
I am not basing this on age, I am saying that players drafted in 06 have had 2 plus years of us watching them and putting them in top 50 prospect lists. They become NHL hopefuls in our minds, and once that happens I do think it is unfair to try and compare them to undrafted players. Like I said, make this statement next year, and see how well it holds up after these kids get drafted into an organization. I am not bashing your opinion of Mueller and Little, I actually think they both are great players, I just disagree with how you are trying to compare them.

I would take JVR over Mueller right now..they both are pretty similiar actually..it would be close though. in a year, that might change.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep. Nearly everobody's saying that this draft is weak, but I tell you: It is as strong as any other. No Crosby maybe; but no [censored] players also in the first round.

I agree completely. Once 1 person says something, then others start believeing it. it catches on like wildfire. This draft is going to put out a lot of NHL players. Maybe not any Crosbys, but Kane, JVR, Voracek, should all have an all-star career...plus countless others who fill out top 9 forward and top 6 d spots.

This weak draft talk just reminds me of grammar school where one kid says something, and then other kids start passing it on down without even asking if it is true or not. This wont be 2003, but it will be a very solid draft IMO. Lots of pleasant surprises will come out of this draft..(Sweatt, Pacioretty, Mayorov, Tangradi, Perron, etc..will all make this draft look better in a few years).

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Personally...

1. Voracek
2. Kane
3. Mueller
4. Turris
5. Alzner
6. Cherpanov
7. JVR
8. Little

Thing about it is with Little, when it comes to undersized players, intangable carry little weight with me. They have a flaw that needs to be overcome, so they need to have a dominant aspect as well. Kane is explosive enough. Little, as good as he is, lacks that explosive element.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Hilarious, not one person has made the obvious comparison.

So let's see, more goals, more assists, more SOG, better Shooting %, a year younger.

Sample size. Especially when you're trying to base conclusions on very small differences.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Any of the top 8 from last years draft would go number one in this draft without question. That is also being said by some very inside sources I know as well, take it for what its worth. Not that difficult to see

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
I would pick Bryan Little about 15th in this draft. You guys are all forgetting that hes a year older than Kane, Cheraponov, JVR, Alzner Turris etc.

AgentNaslund*

what the hell. He probably go 5 or something. Hes not better then Kyle Turris, or Patrick Kane.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Any of the top 8 from last years draft would go number one in this draft without question. That is also being said by some very inside sources I know as well, take it for what its worth. Not that difficult to see

very inside sources you know as well???? give me a break. why do you people even post garbage like this. the top 8 from last year would not go 1-8 this year, I am sorry. You can make a case for about 5 of them, but not the top 8...thats just blowing smoke now. Brassard is nowhere near a better player then Kane, JVR, and Voracek. Carey Price is a great goalie, but again wouldnt go till atleast 4th in this draft. Kyle Okposo, also very talented wouldnt beat out Kane and JVR. We have already discussed Mueller also.. Only Johnson and Toews would go ahead of the top 2 in this class for sure. Backstrom would go higher then JVR, but he wouldnt go higher then Kane hands down. Same goes for Kessel.

I get the point that the top 10 from last years draft is better then this years, but saying that Kane, JVR, and Voracek would be drafted 9th, 10th, and 11th with last years draft is just funny stuff.

AgentNaslund*

very inside sources you know as well???? give me a break. why do you people even post garbage like this. the top 8 from last year would not go 1-8 this year, I am sorry. You can make a case for about 5 of them, but not the top 8...thats just blowing smoke now. Brassard is nowhere near a better player then Kane, JVR, and Voracek. Carey Price is a great goalie, but again wouldnt go till atleast 4th in this draft. Kyle Okposo, also very talented wouldnt beat out Kane and JVR. We have already discussed Mueller also.. Only Johnson and Toews would go ahead of the top 2 in this class for sure. Backstrom would go higher then JVR, but he wouldnt go higher then Kane hands down. Same goes for Kessel.

I get the point that the top 10 from last years draft is better then this years, but saying that Kane, JVR, and Voracek would be drafted 9th, 10th, and 11th with last years draft is just funny stuff.

carey Price was drafted in 05.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Now let's talk about Bryan Little in comparison with Kane. The "knock" on Kane is that he is too small. Don't give me crap about defensive awareness-- neither one of them are going to be PK'ing in the NHL anytime soon. Little still gets knocked on for his size.

Pat Kane OHL listing: 5'10" 170lbs
Bryan Little OHL listing: 5'10" 175lbs [When drafted, currently listed at 195]

Wrong! Little was listed at 190 by CSB in the final rankings for 2006. Lies lies lies!

Now I guess you can talk about intangibles... because every Stat favors Kane (and by quite a bit, btw). Bryan Little dominated Jordan Staal in all stat categories last season, but we can't argue Jordan Staal isn't as good or even better than Little.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Wow... that's the best you have? That CSB had him 15lbs more (but not any taller).

Okay.

As far as Staal v. Little-- that's completely irrelevant to the argument. Staal didn't produce as well as a lot of prospects-- he was drafted on pedigree, and raw abilities (size/speed combo).

So the debate is now between people who think that nobody this year would go in the top 8 this year... and that Bryan Little is not only better than Kane, but also Jordan Staal.

-fullmetalninja

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Wow... that's the best you have? That CSB had him 15lbs more (but not any taller).

Okay.

As far as Staal v. Little-- that's completely irrelevant to the argument. Staal didn't produce as well as a lot of prospects-- he was drafted on pedigree, and raw abilities (size/speed combo).
the basis off the arguement was points don't matter as much as you compared Kane to Little

So the debate is now between people who think that nobody this year would go in the top 8 this year... and that Bryan Little is not only better than Kane, but also Jordan Staal.
Staal is right now clearly better than Little, i never said the opposite.
-fullmetalninja

Top 8:

Mueller
JVR
Voracek
Kane
Little
Cherepanov
Alzner
Logan Couture

Ad

Upcoming events