Where will Sam Gagner play in 06/07?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I think this was pretty much the worst kept secret. Many predicted this when he was drafted 67th overall in the 05 OHL Draft to London. It's the way the system works. Gagner would have been a top 5 pick in that draft.

I like the move though it looks like there gonna get Pat Kane and Gagner now... Looks like London will be good for a few more years. If they get Montgomery and some of their 88 d-men start playing up to potential there gonna be scary in a couple seasons.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
I think this was pretty much the worst kept secret. Many predicted this when he was drafted 67th overall in the 05 OHL Draft to London. It's the way the system works. Gagner would have been a top 5 pick in that draft.

I like the move though it looks like there gonna get Pat Kane and Gagner now... Looks like London will be good for a few more years. If they get Montgomery and some of their 88 d-men start playing up to potential there gonna be scary in a couple seasons.

The Knights took a chance on Gagner, they had no cooked deal in place prior to drafting him and while Sam was very open to playing in the OHL, his parents were far less cool to the idea, though even they still left that door open.

As it turned out, Gagner was not happy in the USHL, leaving the door wide open for the London Knights to secure his services.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
The Knights took a chance on Gagner, they had no cooked deal in place prior to drafting him and while Sam was very open to playing in the OHL, his parents were far less cool to the idea, though even they still left that door open.

As it turned out, Gagner was not happy in the USHL, leaving the door wide open for the London Knights to secure his services.

All the stories I've read say he was unhappy in Sioux City, but don't specify why...
Have you heard anything?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
derbyfan said:
All the stories I've read say he was unhappy in Sioux City, but don't specify why...
Have you heard anything?

I heard he wasn't happy with the calibre of play in the league and didn't want to stay there while waiting to go to university. He thought that would hamper his development. This is just rumour, I didn't hear this from Sam Gagner.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Leachmeister2000 said:
Does he have any relations to Dave Gagner?
Yes, he's his son. Dave Gagner will be an assistant coach with London next year. That in itself is a good move, but the fact that it helped secure the younger player was a big bonus.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Primetime955 said:
How shady of a move is that. Offer the kid's dad an assistant coaching position to get his kid to come and play there.

Sam will play for the Knights regardless of the situation with his father. Like I said before, S. Gagner would have had no problem reporting to the Knights last year but his parents really wanted him to explore the U.S. college route.

From the accounts that I received, he really disliked the whole USHL experience and while he liked Madison, his heart was really centered on London and the OHL.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Scribe said:
I heard he wasn't happy with the calibre of play in the league and didn't want to stay there while waiting to go to university. He thought that would hamper his development. This is just rumour, I didn't hear this from Sam Gagner.

He may have had a decent year for a younger guy in that league but he was hardly tearing it up either. Particularly in the goal scoring department. If he was arrogant and thought he was that far above everybody else, he sure didn't show it on the ice.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Primetime955 said:
How shady of a move is that. Offer the kid's dad an assistant coaching position to get his kid to come and play there.

I don't think it's shady at all. Dave Gagner played 15 years in the NHL and would make a great assistant coach in London and, if he's interested, would make a great junior coach elsewhere. This is a good stepping stone for him and a good decision by the Knights.

I see by your avatar that you are a Wisconsin Badgers fan, so obviously, you're a bit ticked about losing a prized recruit. Well, don't hold it against Gagner or the Knights that he's not coming. Blame the NCAA and the double standard it has.

Why is it OK for big Division 1 schools to give kids scholarships worth $100,000 US, but it is not OK for major junior teams to give kids pocket money and much smaller education grants. NCAA considers what it does as protecting the amateur status of players while it considers major junior players as professionals. It's an absurd double standard.

If the NCAA was smart, and they're obviously not, they would allow ex-major junior players to play college. If they did, they would be able to recruit a guy like Gagner after he's played two years of high-calibre hockey (major junior) as opposed to playing in a lesser league like the USHL. If the NCAA did this, I'm sure they could lure more talent their way. They would also poach some young talent from the AHL. Instead of major junior guys playing there as 20 and 21 year-olds, they would be playing as juniors and seniors in college and finishing up their education.

There is nothing wrong with college hockey as a place to develop. It's a great environment, the kids get their education, and there is more emphasis on practice than games.

The problem, IMO, is the tall foreheads who created the double standard that forces kids to decide between major junior and college.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Scribe said:
I don't think it's shady at all. Dave Gagner played 15 years in the NHL and would make a great assistant coach in London and, if he's interested, would make a great junior coach elsewhere. This is a good stepping stone for him and a good decision by the Knights.

I see by your avatar that you are a Wisconsin Badgers fan, so obviously, you're a bit ticked about losing a prized recruit. Well, don't hold it against Gagner or the Knights that he's not coming. Blame the NCAA and the double standard it has.

Why is it OK for big Division 1 schools to give kids scholarships worth $100,000 US, but it is not OK for major junior teams to give kids pocket money and much smaller education grants. NCAA considers what it does as protecting the amateur status of players while it considers major junior players as professionals. It's an absurd double standard.

If the NCAA was smart, and they're obviously not, they would allow ex-major junior players to play college. If they did, they would be able to recruit a guy like Gagner after he's played two years of high-calibre hockey (major junior) as opposed to playing in a lesser league like the USHL. If the NCAA did this, I'm sure they could lure more talent their way. They would also poach some young talent from the AHL. Instead of major junior guys playing there as 20 and 21 year-olds, they would be playing as juniors and seniors in college and finishing up their education.

There is nothing wrong with college hockey as a place to develop. It's a great environment, the kids get their education, and there is more emphasis on practice than games.

The problem, IMO, is the tall foreheads who created the double standard that forces kids to decide between major junior and college.
Here,here....
The double standard of NCAA is clear. CHL players are pros, but we can offer Hockey scholarships.
Do we want quotas on US players in NCAA or Canadian players in CHL, no we don't.
NCAA has to stop regarding CHL players as pros (like NCAA players don't get stuff).
But NCAA and CHL also have to come to an agreement on not raiding players. But this will never happen untill NCAA loses it's "Holyier than thou" attitude towards CHL players.
It would only benefit NCAA if it would allow CHL grads to use thier scholarships in US schools and come to some kind of agreement with CHL about raiding players under NCAA scholarship. Just my opinion. But they seem to want to work agin each other.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
He may have had a decent year for a younger guy in that league but he was hardly tearing it up either. Particularly in the goal scoring department. If he was arrogant and thought he was that far above everybody else, he sure didn't show it on the ice.

I don't know Gagner nor have I ever spoken with him or his father and I doubt very much that any of us here have, meaning we don not know the entire story. I have only "heard" that he was very disappointed with Sioux City and the USHL....not so much because he believed he was too good for it but rather with the coaching and style of the league.

As for his performance, you have to agree that for an 89 born player, he had more than just a decent season.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
london has really made some great moves, and lucked out a little bit. they basically got 2 top 5 picks in gagner and mcrae alot later then they should have gone, and it looks like both will report. theyll probably get both kane and mongomery too, they are looking pretty good for next season.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Alpine said:
Here,here....
The double standard of NCAA is clear. CHL players are pros, but we can offer Hockey scholarships.
Do we want quotas on US players in NCAA or Canadian players in CHL, no we don't.
NCAA has to stop regarding CHL players as pros (like NCAA players don't get stuff).
But NCAA and CHL also have to come to an agreement on not raiding players. But this will never happen untill NCAA loses it's "Holyier than thou" attitude towards CHL players.
It would only benefit NCAA if it would allow CHL grads to use thier scholarships in US schools and come to some kind of agreement with CHL about raiding players under NCAA scholarship. Just my opinion. But they seem to want to work agin each other.

If CHL players were allowed to play in the NCAA it would kill both leagues. In many ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->