Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
AJ6cpLl.jpg

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
The military veteran suicide rate is 20-50% higher than the national civilian average. If you want to do something, help a veteran.

I'm well aware of the increased suicide rate of veterans. And they certainly do need help after what they sacrificed for our country.

My statement was an in general, to everyone statement.

As someone who has been in that dark place before, I just want everyone, veteran or not, to know that there are always people to talk to if they find themselves in that same dark place.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
How to tie together both Simpsons (cartoon and OJ) with the Linkin Park's Chester Bennington's suicide?

OJ Simpson allegedly murdered his ex-wife.
Phil Hartman played Troy McClure on the Simpsons.
Phil Harmtan was murdered by his wife Brynn in a drug-induced episode of murder-suicide.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How long have you all waited to hear back from a job? I had my second interview 3 weeks ago. They said they'd likely have a decision by the middle of July. I haven't heard a thing yet. It took them two weeks to setup a second interview with me.

Also, should I contact them if I haven't heard back by the end of next week? Or should I just be patient? I sent a thank you letter a day after the interview, and he said he'd be in touch soon, so I thought they'd let me know either way.

I know this topic is getting a bit redundant, but I'm anxious, haha.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
How long have you all waited to hear back from a job? I had my second interview 3 weeks ago. They said they'd likely have a decision by the middle of July. I haven't heard a thing yet. It took them two weeks to setup a second interview with me.

Also, should I contact them if I haven't heard back by the end of next week? Or should I just be patient? I sent a thank you letter a day after the interview, and he said he'd be in touch soon, so I thought they'd let me know either way.

Assume you aren't getting it and move forward accordingly. They gave you a time line, it's passed the time line. Even if they are still going through the process, there isn't anything you can do to influence their decision in a positive way. In fact, pretty much any contact can only hurt your chances if you still have them.

IMHO, I wish employers were better about giving you updates on hiring process. A simple automated "Sorry you weren't selected" email would suffice for most people.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Assume you aren't getting it and move forward accordingly. They gave you a time line, it's passed the time line. Even if they are still going through the process, there isn't anything you can do to influence their decision in a positive way. In fact, pretty much any contact can only hurt your chances if you still have them.

IMHO, I wish employers were better about giving you updates on hiring process. A simple automated "Sorry you weren't selected" email would suffice for most people.

Yeah. You're probably right. My buddy"s girlfriend worked for the same company, and said it took about three weeks to hear back, so I'm still holding out a little bit of hope. Needless to say, that hope is dwindling with each day that passes.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Amazing the lack of communication skills/courtesy in this day and age of constant in your face communication. Over the years I hired scores of professionals personally and chaired committees that screened thousands for high paying prestigious positions. Everyone was told what to expect. If no call by x then sorry we were not interviewing you. If we interviewed -and sometimes over a hundred for several positions at a time then if you did not hear by y then we were not inviting you for second interview. It was explained that getting back personally was too much of a strain on staff time. After that those on short list were notified immediately of success or lack thereof. I felt better about it and my staff did not have to field calls from distraught applicants. Now without having to rely on phone (phone tag) and snail mail-postage and typing and cost of paper and envelopes the discourtesy is just staggering.

Clock

May 13, 2006
You finally killed off that abomination? Holy crap.

Holy crap.

What were you all thinking?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Beyond any political crap ....

It really sucks about John McCain..... damn.
Potentially explains his incoherrence during his recent public comments / testimony. My wife commented on it at the time...

I'll disagree with Doak and say call them. It can't hurt you to do so. I'd tell them you have another, less preferred, opportunity, and ask them if you are still in consideration for their position.

Amazing the lack of communication skills/courtesy in this day and age of constant in your face communication. Over the years I hired scores of professionals personally and chaired committees that screened thousands for high paying prestigious positions. Everyone was told what to expect. If no call by x then sorry we were not interviewing you. If we interviewed -and sometimes over a hundred for several positions at a time then if you did not hear by y then we were not inviting you for second interview. It was explained that getting back personally was too much of a strain on staff time. After that those on short list were notified immediately of success or lack thereof. I felt better about it and my staff did not have to field calls from distraught applicants. Now without having to rely on phone (phone tag) and snail mail-postage and typing and cost of paper and envelopes the discourtesy is just staggering.
We ran a tight, formal, well-defined, internally & locally controlled process where I work, which was subverted when corporate outsourced all aspects of recruiting and forced us to comply. We ran a local process different from other sites / functions within the corp. We focused on selling our business and the corp to the candidate as much as we focused on finding the right/best candidates. (A proper pre-screening process should yield a very high % (maybe 90%) of candidates who are capacble of doing the job. The next challenge is to confirm that on site, while selling the site/company/work content.) We also place high value in determining potential for future internal job changes. we don't want people who have no growth / change potential. Now we have remotely located 3rd party recruiting coordinators assigned to our business. They'll virtually screen candidates, rejecting potentially over-qualified ones without consulting us. They treat the client relationship as if it's more important to properly use their computerized system correctly vs. fill the actual positions with the best matched candidates. I'm sure it's about the metrics they are held to. Latest change is each hiring manager needs to input a position description in the computer system his/herself. Formerly, the recruiters would do that, we'd simply select the most relevant template for the job, then customize it accordingly. Handle via email, then the recruiting coordinator would input it. This change to me is simply transfer of work/cost back to the customer (me) without any benefit, and invites non-standardization practices. I am half-serious about writing my next open position description with flowery language.

You finally killed off that abomination? Holy crap.

Holy crap.

What were you all thinking?
Waiting for the triumphant return of our savior. Welcome back. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. These droids brought us plans to an Empire device called a "Death Star". Wanna help us destroy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad