Where should the 2015 Winter Classic be played?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
There are only really 2 venues suitable for the game - Byrd Stadium on the campus of the University of Maryland, and Nationals Park.

Byrd Stadium is larger and is a football stadium. So that would make them the front runner for the game.

FedExField could also be used, but it is an NFL venue and so it would be hard to do.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
There are only really 2 venues suitable for the game - Byrd Stadium on the campus of the University of Maryland, and Nationals Park.

Byrd Stadium is larger and is a football stadium. So that would make them the front runner for the game.

Is there a Metro stop near Byrd Stadium? I don't think so, so you can rule that out.

The three venues will be Fed Ex, Nationals Park and RFK. Parking and public transportation access to the game needs to be considered.

From a fan's standpoint, tailgating should be part of the experience and though you can do that in some of the lots that cater to Nationals Park it's not the same experience as Fed Ex or RFK. Plus you can definitely have higher attendance at either Fed Ex or RFK, with Fed Ex leading that aspect by a wide margin.

I'm partial to RFK Stadium as its hosted, football, baseball and soccer and its bowl shape to me would allow for the best site line other than National Park. I know some will frown upon the amenities or lack thereof that are offered at RFK, but you can consume and eat in Lots 5,6,7, and 8.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Byrd isn't remotely suitable for the game. FedEx Field is much more suitable.

They should have it on the Mall or the Ellipse, but the NHL cares too much about luxury boxes and the like, rather than the stunning visuals they'd get on TV.

I'd be shocked if it's not at Nats Park.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Byrd isn't remotely suitable for the game. FedEx Field is much more suitable.

They should have it on the Mall or the Ellipse, but the NHL cares too much about luxury boxes and the like, rather than the stunning visuals they'd get on TV.

I'd be shocked if it's not at Nats Park.

I think Ted once mentioned he wanted to yes the Mall, but the logistics of it were impossible. Unfortunately.

I'd agree it's probably best at RFK, assuming the stadium is in good enough shape (haven't been there is a loooong time). Though Nats Park is the answer, right?

Way the Caps are playing now? Idea of the Potomac works, with it being 50 degrees out.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think Ted once mentioned he wanted to yes the Mall, but the logistics of it were impossible. Unfortunately.

I'd agree it's probably best at RFK, assuming the stadium is in good enough shape (haven't been there is a loooong time). Though Nats Park is the answer, right?

Way the Caps are playing now? Idea of the Potomac works, with it being 50 degrees out.

The logistics of holding the game and seating the fans are easy. The logistics he was talking about was that involving the money makers (luxury boxes, concessions, etc.). Plenty of events with far more people are held all the time on the mall.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The logistics of holding the game and seating the fans are easy. The logistics he was talking about was that involving the money makers (luxury boxes, concessions, etc.). Plenty of events with far more people are held all the time on the mall.

Regarding the use of the Mall, just read a letter in the Metro Section from yesterdays WAPO and you'll have an understanding regarding the direction of the use of the Mall is going. The Library of Congress Annual Book Fair has been moved to the Convention Center due to the costs NPS is imposing (understandably so) to protect the resource. You can't look at the past and what has occurred on the Mall as an indicator, things are changing. You also have to understand also that there's a clear distinction between First Amendment activities and Special Events with the National Park Service and the Winter Classic definitely falls under the latter. Some additional issues related to the Mall and the Ellipse is parking or lack there of, furthermore forget about the Ellipse just from a security point of view, the US Secret Service would never allow it. I understand the logic of such sites due to the backdrop which is also one of the reasons why I never understood why Nats Park was positioned like it was without the dome of the Capitol appearing over the left field wall, but again the Lerners being Real Estate moguls are more interested in the parking garages and apartments/hotels/offices than the aesthetics.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Byrd has horrific sight lines, if you're within 5 rows of either sideline you can't see over the players/crew/etc. It's built like an English soccer stadium.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Regarding the use of the Mall, just read a letter in the Metro Section from yesterdays WAPO and you'll have an understanding regarding the direction of the use of the Mall is going. The Library of Congress Annual Book Fair has been moved to the Convention Center due to the costs NPS is imposing (understandably so) to protect the resource. You can't look at the past and what has occurred on the Mall as an indicator, things are changing. You also have to understand also that there's a clear distinction between First Amendment activities and Special Events with the National Park Service and the Winter Classic definitely falls under the latter. Some additional issues related to the Mall and the Ellipse is parking or lack there of, furthermore forget about the Ellipse just from a security point of view, the US Secret Service would never allow it. I understand the logic of such sites due to the backdrop which is also one of the reasons why I never understood why Nats Park was positioned like it was without the dome of the Capitol appearing over the left field wall, but again the Lerners being Real Estate moguls are more interested in the parking garages and apartments/hotels/offices than the aesthetics.
Costs would be of no concern to the Caps/the NHL for the WC. I really don't see parking as an issue either. It's not like VC is rife with it. Encourage Metro usage, set up shuttles to and from satellite lots, etc. There are plenty of events on the Mall that handle a whole heck of a lot more people than the WC would.

If they wanted it to happen, the NPS wouldn't stand in their way. It's just that they don't want to lose the luxury box and concession revenue.

PredragD

May 5, 2011
Nationals Park is the "likely" venue, but it has yet to be made official. I am wondering if they are still trying to get FedEx Field which would require a few favors from the NFL schedule makers.

Nats Park and RFK ought to definitely be available, but Nats Park would probably be my last choice out of the three. RFK is old, but has the right sightlines and should sellout with a capacity of only 46,000.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Nationals Park is the "likely" venue, but it has yet to be made official. I am wondering if they are still trying to get FedEx Field which would require a few favors from the NFL schedule makers.

Nats Park and RFK ought to definitely be available, but Nats Park would probably be my last choice out of the three. RFK is old, but has the right sightlines and should sellout with a capacity of only 46,000.

Well, IMHO, Nats Park should be the first choice. It is in DC and a new stadium with good site lines to the nations capital. As much as I will always love RFK having seen a number of Skins games there and several United its a pit. Fedex field is a ugly Landover tomb. Plus who would want to give any monies to Orcus, I mean, Snyder.

Apr 6, 2004
The venue location MUST be accessible by metro, 100% no questions asked.

Nats stadium is the only logical choice

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I know it would never happen but wouldn't it be nice if Bettman and the league reneged on the Capitals hosting of the WC based on the current quality of the product the team is putting on the ice. Perhaps that might be the only thing that would get Ted's attention regarding the state of this team.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The venue location MUST be accessible by metro, 100% no questions asked.

Nats stadium is the only logical choice

RFK is accessible by metro and has better parking support then does Nats stadium, not too mention that the nearby D.C. Armory could be used as a host for fan experience activities.

Apr 6, 2004
RFK is accessible by metro and has better parking support then does Nats stadium, not too mention that the nearby D.C. Armory could be used as a host for fan experience activities.

True but it's a POS stadium with little to no commerce in the surrounding areas. You are right it's an option but it falls short when compared to Nats park.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
True but it's a POS stadium with little to no commerce in the surrounding areas. You are right it's an option but it falls short when compared to Nats park.

The area around Nats Park has blown up lately as well with quite a few more food and drink options opening up after the baseball season ended. Having said that, a lack of commerce in the surrounding area doesn't seem to faze the NHL. Heinz Field in Pittsburgh has nothing around it.

To me, the football stadium layout is much more conducive to a hockey rink though. The outfield seats in a baseball park are worthless.

The problem with FedEx would be the possibility, while admittedly remote, of a home playoff game being played two or three days later (something the schedule makers can't help with). This depends on the schedule for next season of course, but the wildcard weekend always seems to be held on the first weekend in January, which would be the 3rd and 4th next year.

RFK or Nats Park make the most sense. I like the idea of shaking the RFK stands though.

Edit: Forgot to add, Nats Park more or less no longer has sight lines to the Capitol due to the Apartment Building construction to its north.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad