Where is Devereaux Heshmatpour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Hedberg said:
Really?

I thought he would be a early draft pick a few years ago.

ya well...he kinda had some issues. First off, they didnt know how old he actually was, and therefore, if he was eligible to be playing for the gens. secondly...while he seemed to have quite a bit of potential, at the OHL all star game he got beaten in a race by a goalie...so ya know...that scared some people away...

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
barfy2000 said:
ya well...he kinda had some issues. First off, they didnt know how old he actually was, and therefore, if he was eligible to be playing for the gens.
How old is he? But there was hype about him at one time, right?

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Hedberg said:

i have no idea how old he actually is. there really hasnt been anything about him in the oshawa media so its hard for me to say. but you were right about the hype. if i remember correctly, at one point he was looking to be one of the top defenseman taken in the 2005 draft.

i found this:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7526

FALLING:

Devereaux Heshmatpour/ Oshawa (OHL)

Position: Defenseman, Height: 6-6, Weight: 240

Devereaux Heshmatpour has undergone numerous rumors about his age, a trade from Kitchener to Oshawa and continual struggles with the pace of the Ontario Hockey League. As a result, ISS is starting to question whether he can become a contributor in the NHL. Although he has impressed with his toughness and his willingness to drop the gloves this year, his continual problems with his skating are a major concern. At the CHL Prospects game in Vancouver, Heshmatpour was actually beaten in the 150’ sprint by a goalie wearing full gear and barely beat the goalies in the one-lap time trials. Although there is more to being a player then a performance in a skills competition, his foot speed is a MAJOR concern.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Got this snipet from a Prospects game review last January

Devereaux Heshmatpour, D – CSS Rank 49th in North America

Devereaux has been on the prospect radar for years simply due to the fact he has always towered above the competition with his massive frame and punishing hits (6’6†238, but I believe he has shed some weight off of that mark). As other kids have gone through their growth spurts, Devereaux’s advantage isn’t quite as pronounced as it was earlier in his life. There were even rumours that Heshmatpour’s parents lied about his age, and Heshmatpour was really older than ‘officially’ documented. Like most conspiracy theories, you can’t buy a piece of bubble gum with its value.

To put it mildly, Heshmatpour skates like a 10 year-old girl. He looks somewhat delicate on his skates…he generates very little power with his strides, he has a very high center of gravity, and he looks awfully clumsy at the same time. Playing defense, Heshmatpour delivered some big hits early. He simply tossed aside a couple of the Team Davidson players deep in the defensive zone. His positioning was OK as long as stayed at home in the basement…and that’s it for the positives.

Along with the worst skating ability I’ve seen from a ‘Top Prospect’ (He took a bad holding penalty in the first when an opposing forward blew by him), Heshmatpour has no offensive upside to speak of. In 98 OHL games, Heshmatpour has 2 goals and 13 assists…no doubt he got most of those by accident.

Devereaux has been quite a curiosity in his career to date, but I can’t honestly say I’d want to use any kind of draft pick on this kid. If he cannot improve his atrocious skating, his pro aspirations will begin and end in the United Hockey League.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Hedberg said:

The hype was tremendous when he was (allegedly) 14/15. Many of those brave (foolish?) enough to attempt mock NHL drafts had him going number two after Crosby. Then his rookie year with Kitchener in the OHL was a pretty big dissapointment. The potential scouts saw in him kept him on the scouting lists for the NHL draft initially but by the end of the year it was clear he wasn't anything close to what he was once thought to be.

It's pretty amazing just how far his stock fell in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad