Where have all the nicknames gone?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The Internet was invented.

People on different boards call the same player different things. Like Ducks fans here call Påhlsson God, but on AllDuck he's the Swedish Meatball. Even though Teemu is the Flash Finn, we're calling him Ketchup now too.

With so many different names for each player now none of them stick as people get confused. Even though Teemu is the Flash Finn, we're calling him Ketchup now

andreydali19

They're relentless
Jun 19, 2006
Liv. of Mich.
These days it's a bit more common among goalies. Though they're not looking too hot right now:

Hasek-Dominator
Belfour-Eagle

And back in 97-99 didn't Osgood usually get refered to as "the Wizard of Oz" or was it just in HT?

No-Twitch Tabitha

Jun 30, 2006
Winter Haven, FL
Well the Great One and The Captain are two pretty well known and used nick names for Gretz and Stevie Y respectively. But overall I think you are right. Then again I think for the most part older players exhibited more personality during interviews etc than nowadays (thus more nicknames).

I hate to say it, but for the most part, player interviews and interviewers (with a tiny exception) are a snoozefest these days. Everyone takes themselves so ****ing seriously.

I read that Washington fans have begun refering to Ovechkin as Alexander the Gr8.

That would make him bisexual. :sarcasm:

My faves are Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard (I want to see that endorsement) ;), Lorne "Gump" Worsley, "Super" Mario Lemieux (his other nickname), Jacques "Jake the Snake" Plante.

Here's a site with Goalie nicknames: http://www.angelfire.com/id/goalienicknames/goalienicknames.html
Cujo's other nickname is "The Cat"

I've made up a few nicknames...I call Andreychuk "The DA", St. Louis is "Martie!(tm)", Lecavalier is "That Guy" or "Third Row, Second from Left",
Hasek is "Domino", Richards is "Keef", Gagne is "Gag Me", etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->