Where have all the nicknames gone?

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
We used to have, The Rocket, Pocket Rocket, Gumper, Elbows, Big Bird, Flower Power, Boom Boom, Golden Jet and, my favourite was Jacques LaPierierre...Ankles, etc.
But we don't hear great nicknames anymore? Gretz, Stevie Y, Super Mario, Sid the Kid, all include given names. Has the media become bland?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Well the Great One and The Captain are two pretty well known and used nick names for Gretz and Stevie Y respectively. But overall I think you are right. Then again I think for the most part older players exhibited more personality during interviews etc than nowadays (thus more nicknames).

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
The Devils have a few.

Scott Gomez is The Mexican Missile - Gomez was given this nickname in juniors

Brian Gionta is The Rochester Rocket - Devils color analyst Glenn "Chico" Resch came up with this one. Gionta is really fast and scored a career high 48 Goals in '05-06.

John Madden is Maddog. I don't know how far back it goes, but it is pretty easy to figure out because of his name.

Mario Lemieux was also known as "Ace." Devil John Madden found out that if yell, "Ace," Lemieux will blindly pass the puck to you.

I read that Washington fans have begun refering to Ovechkin as Alexander the Gr8.

Alpine said:
Gretz, Stevie Y, Super Mario, Sid the Kid, all include given names. Has the media become bland?

The media isn't as colorful as they were fifty or more years ago. I read a book comprised of newspaper articles in 1918 about the Boston Red Sox, and the sports writers had fun with things. Even most baseball team names from about 1901 were given by sports writers, not official names created by the club.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I meant to add that Ken Daneyko has called Brian Gionta "Mighty Mouse" for some time. That's why I made my avatar.

As for classic nicknames, Stan Fischler told a funny story on a recent This Week in Hockey podcast from MSG Network.com of how goaltender Stephen Buzinski got a great nickname.

Buzinski was terrible and was only playing in the NHL because the Rangers didn't have a goaltender heading into camp in 1942-43 due to military service during World War II. Tim Morriarti of United Press came up with the nickname Steve Buzinski, "Puck Goes Inski."

Pielsman

Sep 21, 2003
Ct
Didnt Philly around 1970 once have "Hound-dog Kelly" and "Battleship Kelly" ? I might have messed up on the last name. :dunno: Those types of nicknames were awesome.

The French Connection line, L'Enfant Terrible (E. Lindros) and Mean Teddy Green all come to mind !

I guess guys like Glen Featherstone and Bruce Shoebottom didnt really NEED any nicknames... ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think its just because a lot of older guys are retired now. I dont remember Gretzky being called "99" the first year of his career. Nowadays guys are wearing helmets and a lot have visors so its hard to gouge a guys personaltiy that way. I mean Ovechkin has a tinted face shield.

My favourite was Golden Jet and Gump. How many people actually know that Gump Worsley's first name is Lorne? I'll bet you didnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->