Where does your kid play

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
It is what it is. This is Illinois hockey, and not a whole mess of ex Nhl'ers willing to take on the task. Although we do have a few. And for what it is worth, those I have come in contact with, haven't impressed me with their coaching skills. But that is just me.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
It is what it is. This is Illinois hockey, and not a whole mess of ex Nhl'ers willing to take on the task. Although we do have a few. And for what it is worth, those I have come in contact with, haven't impressed me with their coaching skills. But that is just me.

A friend of ours coached a team (98s) at a tourney in Vegas this summer, and one of the teams they played were pretty dirty - unnecessarily rough, etc.. When he called the opposing coach on it at the end of the game, the guy says, "Welcome to the real world, ***hole." And he's a current NHLer. I know these guys would expect a certain amount of respect from "underlings", but geez.....

FiveThreeEmptyNet

Sep 3, 2007
Florida
paid coaches

So coaches start getting paid at which level?

Each rink in Florida (for the most part) has a travel hockey club affiliated with it. There are just 17 facilities that I know of in the whole state serving a population of about 17 million. Several of the facilities have two sheets of ice, but we still don't have much 'supply'.

Some people will coach a certain team (say Pee Wee AA) and others will serve the whole program across all levels (like a goaltending coach).

I think the Mite (kids are from age 6 to 8) travel coach is on salary through the club. I think it is absurd. That said, there isn't a lot in the way of alternatives, so I might have to play along.

There is one guy I like that is in charge of the entire youth program at a rink. I don't have a problem with him getting paid because he gives a lot to the program and there is value in what he does. Another rink has a different model and it kind of rubs me the wrong way. Their teams are more expensive.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Same here in the GTA. There are so many hockey opportunities outside of school that it wouldn't make sense to have a high school programme.

Maybe it depends on the school. I know of 3 high schools in Mississauga that have hockey teams. My son's best friend's school even has a hockey team and that's grade school. He played net for them last year.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
.....There is one guy I like that is in charge of the entire youth program at a rink. I don't have a problem with him getting paid because he gives a lot to the program and there is value in what he does. Another rink has a different model and it kind of rubs me the wrong way. Their teams are more expensive.

Until a couple years ago, our city's public recreation department looked after all minor sports, including hockey. Now each group (baseball, hockey, etc.) operates independently and, as far as I know, hockey is the only one that has a paid co-ordinator who does stuff like assigning ice time, etc. I don't have a problem with paying someone to do this (it's a big job, and thankless, for the most part) but the guy that was hired is not suitable for the job. But like I said, it's a crappy job that noone wants, so I guess the hockey board had to take who they could get.

hockeydadx2*

A friend of ours coached a team (98s) at a tourney in Vegas this summer, and one of the teams they played were pretty dirty - unnecessarily rough, etc.. When he called the opposing coach on it at the end of the game, the guy says, "Welcome to the real world, ***hole." And he's a current NHLer. I know these guys would expect a certain amount of respect from "underlings", but geez.....

Funny that you say that. In the Pittsburgh area, the ex-NHLers who coach invariably teach their teams a much rougher, more physical style of play, (some would say dirtier style) even at levels lower than PeeWee. A few of them have been ******, although I never witnessed them calling parents "*******s", (at least to their faces...).

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Funny that you say that. In the Pittsburgh area, the ex-NHLers who coach invariably teach their teams a much rougher, more physical style of play, (some would say dirtier style) even at levels lower than PeeWee. A few of them have been ******, although I never witnessed them calling parents "*******s", (at least to their faces...).

I guess I wouldn't expect it to be any different - you live what you learn, right? I'd like to think, though, that NHL players who have better than average atheletic abilities would also have better than average personal skills. Ahhh...call me naive. :sarcasm:

Cujo31

Mar 5, 2007
Nbr-17....my kids a few years away but I think high school hockey is gaining in popularity-league playoffs were big deal at least....LOSSA is the org.

Think we'll stick to the 'politics' of the G and OMHA-school sports are poorly run out east with talent/skill level having little to do with who plays from what I hear.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
My son is a Bantam Major for a AAA club in Illinois. We pay almost $4800.00 in fees, which includes ice time, coaching, things like that. This does not include travel expenses, and we travel extensively. We are headed to Connecticut on Thursday for a prep school showcase. We also pay extra for jerseys, socks, warm-up gear. It is expensive, but it is worth it.
Obviously it's only the kids from well to do families that can be on that team.I pay $520.00 for my daughter to be on the peewee boys traveling A team and that includes ice time,jersey,socks and breezers.We don't travel like you do but we do go to Minnesota and up to Canada for tourneys.Hell I couldn't afford $4800, thats nuts.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
From what I have always heard, USA hockey rules allow checking at the PeeWee level and not before. In Canada it begins at the Atom/Mite level. IMO, I would rather see it begin at the earlier ages. It is a part of the game, and why not teach it from the beginning. Those first few games at PeeWee are always interesting to watch, as kids only seem interested in checking. After about the third game, they get back to playing hockey.:D

Hahaha. In my area, once kids are allowed to check, that's all they want to do until they're 35. ;)

My 4-year-old son starts hockey this Saturday. I'm excited but a bit stressed to. I'm fearful that he won't like it. He loves wearing the gear and shooting and passing the puck. But even though he's a competent skate he's so fearful of falling that he doesn't like to move. And if he falls he's very upset with himself.
I hope he gets over that soon. He's an awesome kid. I just don't like seeing him upset.
The good thing is our minor hockey organization will give us our money back after 3 weeks if things don't work out. That's 6 practices/games. From what I've heard, most kids make huge gains in those 6 hours of ice time. If he doesn't like it after that, I'll have no problems yanking him.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
My 4-year-old son starts hockey this Saturday. I'm excited but a bit stressed to. I'm fearful that he won't like it. He loves wearing the gear and shooting and passing the puck. But even though he's a competent skate he's so fearful of falling that he doesn't like to move. And if he falls he's very upset with himself.
I hope he gets over that soon. He's an awesome kid. I just don't like seeing him upset.
The good thing is our minor hockey organization will give us our money back after 3 weeks if things don't work out. That's 6 practices/games. From what I've heard, most kids make huge gains in those 6 hours of ice time. If he doesn't like it after that, I'll have no problems yanking him.

Good luck. What area are you in? He will love it ;)

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
Hank my son is similar to you little guy, hates falling. I made a point of watching hockey with him and in every game, we saw the pros fall flat on their arses. He felt much better knowing that even the pros fall!

My guy is also lighter than all the other kids, nowhere near as fast, but he still enjoys hockey, even the ungodly Sunday morning practice. Good coaches make a difference; not good as in can win the league title, good as in let the kids have fun.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Good luck. What area are you in? He will love it ;)

We live in Southwestern Ontario in a small town with about 2500 people in it. It's a very nice community.

Hank my son is similar to you little guy, hates falling. I made a point of watching hockey with him and in every game, we saw the pros fall flat on their arses. He felt much better knowing that even the pros fall!

My guy is also lighter than all the other kids, nowhere near as fast, but he still enjoys hockey, even the ungodly Sunday morning practice. Good coaches make a difference; not good as in can win the league title, good as in let the kids have fun.

Yeah, it sounds like our boys are very similar. Hudson is close to being the smallest kid on the ice and by far the slowest. What's funny is, he's not that slow but he's so concerned about falling that he takes very little strides and concentrates so hard on staying upright.

This weekend we had our first two practices and Hudson did awesome. He never complained once and had a big smile on his face the entire time. He did have trouble getting up on his own and he has a habit for giving up too soon on anything if it's a challenge. But he tried hard and on the second practice he was able to get up all on his own a half-dozen times. I found a neat trick to help him do this. Because he has a propensity to hold his stick fairly high on the shaft, he wouldn't get the needed leverage to prop himself up using the stick as a crutch. So I took some white tape and taped an area near the bottom of the shaft and told him to slide his bottom hand over the taped area and use that to push up on. That seemed to do the trick.

The practices were pretty informal but I liked it that way. The first 10 minutes they let the kids buzz around and shoot all the pucks and tennis balls they wanted. After that, they'd separate the kids into two groups with the stronger skaters on one end and the weaker on the other. Since my son made up 1 of maybe 10 poorer skaters he had a lot of room to move out there. They worked a lot on going down and getting up. Like I mentioned he struggled with this early on but got a lot better as the practice progressed.
Near the end, they did a drill where one of the coaches would stickhandle with a tennis ball and he'd challenge the kids to get it. So what does my son do? He slashes the coach in the knee when he couldn't get near him. My wife and I had a big laugh over that.

All in all, it was a great first weekend. He smiled so much. He particularly loved shooing loose pucks into a wide open net or just swatting at pucks in general. It was awesome to see how much fun he was having out there.

I don't think Hudson will see any game time until close to Christmas but I'm totally fine with that. How Tyke works in our minor hockey association is that after 2 weeks of nothing but practices, they take the better players from the weaker ones. When the games start, the better skaters play in a game over 80% of the ice. The other 20% is sectioned off with bumpers for the weaker kids to continue practicing and getting better. Depending on quickly the kids develop, they'll slowly start moving the kids over into the games so eventually all the kids are playing by years end.
Almost all the coaches said that by Christmas there's usually only 1 or 2 kids that aren't ready for games yet, with all of them playing in January.

I don't care if my kid is the last one (which is a good possibility). If he continues to smile and have a great time, then I'm happy. It's a hoot watching him skate out there. I also think it's funny when he hits the glass with his stick to say 'hi' to complete strangers in the concourse. Hahaha.

EDIT: I forgot to add about your comment regarding the coaches. You're right, they do make a world of difference. We've got some excellent coaches who are patient and provide fun drills for them.

Last edited:

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
It sounds like you and your boy are there for all the right reasons. Have a great season, Hank19! :hockey:

Sammy*

Geez, that wouldnt be Tony Amonte now would it?

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
It sounds like you and your boy are there for all the right reasons. Have a great season, Hank19! :hockey:

Thanks! It's only been 2 practices but I can't tell you how much fun it's been.

At one point, he hit a series of pucks in the corner and after each time he'd look up at myself and my wife. And of course, after each time he hit a puck, we were the typical homer-parents and we'd go crazy for him.
I can only imagine how nuts we'll go if/when he scores his first goal. ;)

Sammy*

Sammy, do I know you?????
No, but my son was going to go to that tourney but we couldnt cause of family issues. I heard about the incident from a parent who went . We're from Alberta as well & my son is a 98.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Geez, that wouldnt be Tony Amonte now would it?

Seriously? I'd expect a lot more from NHLers. In fact, I would have thought they'd be the exact opposite, realizing that it's just a game and so few kids make it.

My brother's a good friend with someone who was drafted by the Yankees and played in their farm system for a few years.
This guy is the epitome of class and humbleness. When he coached some pee-wee aged kids some parents got really upset with him because he didn't yell enough or push the kids more.
He was very good with the kids being patient and letting them plot their own course, while teaching them solid baseball fundamentals. But the team wasn't that successful, hence all the complaining from parents.

He basically told them to all shutup and if they didn't like the way he coached they could find someone else.
I couldn't help but laugh. Here's a bunch of middle-aged never-were's trying to tell a former minor-leaguer how he should be coaching baseball.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Seriously? I'd expect a lot more from NHLers. In fact, I would have thought they'd be the exact opposite, realizing that it's just a game and so few kids make it.

My brother's a good friend with someone who was drafted by the Yankees and played in their farm system for a few years.
This guy is the epitome of class and humbleness. When he coached some pee-wee aged kids some parents got really upset with him because he didn't yell enough or push the kids more.
He was very good with the kids being patient and letting them plot their own course, while teaching them solid baseball fundamentals. But the team wasn't that successful, hence all the complaining from parents.

He basically told them to all shutup and if they didn't like the way he coached they could find someone else.
I couldn't help but laugh. Here's a bunch of middle-aged never-were's trying to tell a former minor-leaguer how he should be coaching baseball.

I suppose it's not realistic to think NHL players (or anyone who's in the spotlight) would be any different than the general population - some are humble, respectful, classy and some aren't.....

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
No, but my son was going to go to that tourney but we couldnt cause of family issues. I heard about the incident from a parent who went . We're from Alberta as well & my son is a 98.

Too bad you couldn't go - what a neat opportunity. Our son didn't get picked this time, but we would have jumped at the chance to go. Maybe next year, though. :)

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Things have been going great for my son. His speed has really improved and he's finally getting over his fear of falling. This past weekend before his game he asked me if the ice was going to be slippery again. I told him 'yes' but that he shouldn't worry because he's so good at getting up all on his own that if he falls down, just pop right back up.
That made him feel a lot better.
In the game I asked him to try his best to touch the puck twice. Not only did he touch it at least 4 times, but on the one time he fired it as hard as he could against the boards. Sure, it wasn't anywhere near a net, but he was so happy he raised his arms in the air like he won the Stanley Cup.
Because I've been helping on the ice, I played net (see: stand in front of net and let everything in). After he wacked the puck, he skated over to me with the biggest smile on his face. It was great to see how much fun he's having.
The next morning we had practice and he did great again. He loves it when we do the 'asteroids' drill. Coaches line up on the blueline and the goaline with a number of tennis balls. The kids go against the boards and try to make it to the other side while avoiding the balls we shoot at them. If they get hit, they become shooters themselves. He loves it.

It's been an awesome experience so far. I'll be shocked if he scores a goal this year, but I don't care. He's improved greatly and is having a lot of fun out there.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Glad to hear you are having so much fun! Whether your boy makes it to the big league or not, you are going to have some really wonderful memories of this time with him. Congratulations! :hockey:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad