Where does Team USA's WJHC Gold Medal rank in their history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Where would that moment rank in their hockey history?

Vote.

NOTE* I accidentally didn't include the "other" option. If you don't agree with any of the options on the poll, don't vote and state your reason.

NOTE** The "Mirale On Ice" option includes the gold medal game against Finland.

Last edited:

Reilly311

not in the top 10. It's a nice achievement, but it's still a tournament with a bunch of kids.

FlyersFan10*

I know I voted the second most important because most of those kids on that team were from US College programs. If anything, the confirmed that the US is finally getting it with regards to developing hockey players. Yeah, they've become more and more prominent in developing players, but fact of the matter is that the WJC win has proven there are other alternatives to Major Junior hockey in Canada. NCAA is one way, but I also believe that there is the National Development program that is also very successful (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe stand out defensemen Mark Stuart and Ryan Suter were products of the ND program).

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Hasbro said:
Distant fourth, however the roster looks alot like the miracle roster.
How so? Were the WJHC team not favorites to win it all???

Is it just me or does the US media reffer to every US accomplishment in hockey a "Miracle"?

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Canadian_man said:
How so? Were the WJHC team not favorites to win it all???

Is it just me or does the US media reffer to every US accomplishment in hockey a "Miracle"?
If the us were still sending ametuers that would be an Olympic roster.

This one was pretty amazing. A huge comeback.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Without a doubt I'd say fourth. Why? Well you've got the 1980 which is first for sure, then 1996 which was an upset in its own right (Richter on Damphousse still makes my jaw drop), after that there's 1960. But then think about it what else has the US won? The 2004 WJC. Thats it. Plus it was in the most dramatic fashion that I can think of.

If the US had more great memories of victory then this would rate lower, but they just don't.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Badger Bob said:
It's just you. The WJC is hardly a blip on the radar screen of most U.S. media sports coverage. This year shouldn't be any different, even though the tournament's
going to be on American ice.
I'm not talking about media attention. I mean everytime the US accomplishes something in hockey, the media always refers it to "This years Miracle" or something.

Reilly311

Canadian_man said:
I'm not talking about media attention. I mean everytime the US accomplishes something in hockey, the media always refers it to "This years Miracle" or something.

no they don't, it's just you. As for this tournament, it happens every year. There's nothing special about it. I belive this is the first year games will actually be aired in the states (on ESPN2...and only the US games).

The US were favorites to win it all last year...until the gold medal game. Then they made everyone look stupid.

It's nothing special. It's just a bunch of kids playing some hockey for bragging rights.

Reilly311

Hasbro said:
If the us were still sending ametuers that would be an Olympic roster.

Which is exaclty why they shouldn't allow professionals to play in the olympics. If this tournament was for Olympic gold, it would be so much more meaningful to the players, the fans, the game, and the actual olympics themselves. Plus major networks would actually show the games in prime time (or whenever) and the States could watch some exciting hockey for once.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Canadian_man said:

And every time a comeback happens in Canadian hockey, they bring up "1972", right?

It's just you. The WJC, while nice to have in town this year, is NOT even close to those other three, and maybe lower than 4th, actually.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Gee, I guess I must have been watching an edited version of "Hockey Night In Canada" the last 22 years! Ron MacLean bring up "1972" EVERY stinkin' week at some point. Get over it, you guys! You WON! Yes, it was a lucky win, but you WON! You beat the best team in the world!

Oh, wait, that's the same thing the US COLLEGE kids did 8 years later! Not NHL players, COLLEGE kids.

So both countries dwell on the past a bit too much, I guess.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
jiggs 10 said:
Gee, I guess I must have been watching an edited version of "Hockey Night In Canada" the last 22 years! Ron MacLean bring up "1972" EVERY stinkin' week at some point. Get over it, you guys! You WON! Yes, it was a lucky win, but you WON! You beat the best team in the world!

Oh, wait, that's the same thing the US COLLEGE kids did 8 years later! Not NHL players, COLLEGE kids.

I'm not talking about bringing up the past tournament. I'm talking about reffering to a success story as a sequel of a previous one. I have heard the term "Miracle on Ice 2" many times. Weather it was for the WJHC last year, or for the 1996 WC. I have never heard "Summit Series 2" or anythign like that in my life.

Now that I have poined out what I meant, please stick to the topic.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
jiggs 10 said:

In 1972 they scored in the last couple seconds to tie the World Champions.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
I'm not talking about bringing up the past tournament. I'm talking about reffering to a success story as a sequel of a previous one. I have heard the term "Miracle on Ice 2" many times. Weather it was for the WJHC last year, or for the 1996 WC. I have never heard "Summit Series 2" or anythign like that in my life.

Now that I have poined out what I meant, please stick to the topic.

I WAS on topic, son. I rated it as 4th, if you would look back a little. :D

And while I agree the media uses the term "miracle" too often in US hockey, HNiC brings up the '72 "Summit Series" 20 times a season. Which was MY point.

Mountain Dude

jiggs 10 said:

Canada was the best team, not the Soviets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->