Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think the leafs will kick tires on Tavares, making an offer, but not an all out free pass one. I think they’ll be looking at a D upgrade more so than anything else.
Either through trade or FA, but that’s where they’ll spend their money.

Montreal, on the other hand, will give JT the keys to the kingdom and the password to the vault. They need a true 1C and Bergevin knows his job security is tied to it.
Plus with Molson seemingly backing the move, there’s nothing holding MB back from giving Tavares everything he could need or want.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I'm not saying that the Habs can't offer him a big ass contract, because they probably do (there's a question if they should, but oh well...), but how much of that money Tavares could actually keep? If we would compare the tax rate in Quebec to a place like... Nashville? Vegas? Florida? I wouldn't be surprised if the teams there could offer Tavares smaller contract but he still would get more money.

Subban made that comparison and he's been laughing ever since.

Reactions: Instant

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So do free agents really care about prospects and draft picks? I think both are waaayyy over emphasized in this thread.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So do free agents really care about prospects and draft picks? I think both are waaayyy over emphasized in this thread.

Definitely. NHL players barely look at a team’s prospect pool, if at all. As far as an NHLer is concerned, prospects have no guarantee to pan out. I can’t imagine a player signing with a team because they have good prospects.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Definitely. NHL players barely look at a team’s prospect pool, if at all. As far as an NHLer is concerned, prospects have no guarantee to pan out. I can’t imagine a player signing with a team because they have good prospects.

I agree. I could see it being a consideration if a guy is signing a long term deal and he somehow has two teams perfectly even on the first 5-7 aspects he's looking at, but I highly doubt it would ever get to that point. Having the better prospect pool over another team would be like getting to the point in a playoff tiebreaker where you're literally flipping a coin to see who gets in. It's obviously never going to be perfectly even to the point that it is a factor.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd say it has a small impact. Ultimately it would depend on the prestige of the prospect. High end drafting helps extend the competitive windows.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Montreal? With Price and Weber making that kind of dough, how do they fit Tavares in without killing that roster?

We had like 8.5 million in cap space this year, plus we traded away Plekanec who was making 5 million and we don't have any significant re-signings to make this summer.

We could easily fit Tavares in at a high salary

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
We had like 8.5 million in cap space this year, plus we traded away Plekanec who was making 5 million and we don't have any significant re-signings to make this summer.

We could easily fit Tavares in at a high salary
But how much does Prices salary increase as of July 1st?
That basically wipes out any savings from the Plekanecs trade.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Yeah, prospects, even great ones are still just prospects.

It's the reason why the Leafs wanted to get Stamkos so bad when he was available and probably why Stamkos was hesitant to leave Tampa. They knew they had great prospects in Matthews, Nylander, Marner but they were still unproven players. You never know how things pan out.

Tavares isn't going to decide between two teams based on their prospect list. He will decide who to play for based on the players on the roster.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

The cap is going up 5 million.
We also have too many players right now, good chance schlemko, benn, pacioretty gets traded which is another 7.5 mil. We can easily afford Tavares at 12 million, and still have a lot of capspace left

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

4 million, so we still save 1 from the Plekanec trade. Plus the cap going up, and like someone else mentioned there's a good chance Pacioretty gets traded which would be another 4.5 million opening up.

Montreal's one of the few teams that wouldn't struggle to fit Tavares under the cap at all.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
4 million, so we still save 1 from the Plekanec trade. Plus the cap going up, and like someone else mentioned there's a good chance Pacioretty gets traded which would be another 4.5 million opening up.

Montreal's one of the few teams that wouldn't struggle to fit Tavares under the cap at all.
If Pacioretty moves, why does Tavares crave Montreal? Gallagher, Price, Weber, maybeee Galychenyk? I think the Habs need a retool. Trade Weber and Pacioretty for a ton of pics and try to reload the cupboards.

More likely he stays in NYI or heads home to Toronto

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I still say St. Louis, they fit all of the criteria he'd most likely be looking for...

- Stable ownership, as Isles ownership has been rocky in the past.

- No issues with an arena.

- He can blend in when out in public there, unlike somewhere like Toronto or Montreal where he'd be in the spotlight constantly and from what I've heard, he doesn't like that.

- Nice and quiet suburban living conditions, as he stated he likes it on Long Island.

- Competitive team with a young core that only needs a couple of more pieces to win it all, him being one of those pieces.

- Will be able to offer a sizable contract to him.

I think it's just too good of a fit, it makes almost too much sense.

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
watch he will sign for someone completely out of left field like Canes or someone like that. I would love it if he did sign with the Avs but god only know what he and his agent are thinking.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The cap is going up 5 million.
We also have too many players right now, good chance schlemko, benn, pacioretty gets traded which is another 7.5 mil. We can easily afford Tavares at 12 million, and still have a lot of capspace left
Wait....I thought Pacioretty was a selling point?

Reactions: 67Blues

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
its very ludoicrous. some habs fan was arguing with me about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->