Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It's all about comparing them to his options. The Avs D compared to the Blues or the Sharks, it's tough to really give that edge to Colorado from that perspective. Colorado having MacKinnon could be a huge point in their favor but then again that D and the fact that Varlamov could bounce after next season could disqualify the Avs from the JT sweepstakes. We likely won't know until it actually happens.
There’s no question. I agree. It’s all about comparison.

I’m just trying to understand this whole, “there’s no #1 Dman” concept, as if it’s written in stone as a requirement.

A bunch of teams can make strong cases.

I’m not the one excluding the options for made up reasons.

As for the goaltending, the Avs have lots of assets to go out and get goaltending help if needed. I’m not concerned.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
NJ could be a darkhorse. They have the cap space and a core of Hall, Hischier and Tavares would be pretty impressive.

nhlfan1991

Apr 14, 2014
Concur except as to SL destination.
Could be.
But I think he seriously considers Toronto.

They have the emerging young core, ample $, and can flip a Kadri or similar to get cap space.
No one wants the drama that comes with Kadri. Without marner on his wing he be lucky to put up 15 goals

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Leafs would be making a big mistake signing him IMO.

Yeah they have a lot of cap now, but they're going to need it for raises soon. And they already have a 1C and are not great on defense - if they're using any of that cap for an immediate upgrade, do it to shore up the d.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
SJ or Vegas

I don't want to be rude but if Tavares wants to win the cup why would he pick Vegas. Sure it's great they had a good season this year but the clock right now is at 11:59. Only way I can see him going to vegas is if they make that Karlsson traded that was hinted at the trade deadline first

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Leafs would be making a big mistake signing him IMO.

Yeah they have a lot of cap now, but they're going to need it for raises soon. And they already have a 1C and are not great on defense - if they're using any of that cap for an immediate upgrade, do it to shore up the d.

If leafs by any small chance sign Tavares, I would trade Nylander or Marner for defense

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't want to be rude but if Tavares wants to win the cup why would he pick Vegas. Sure it's great they had a good season this year but the clock right now is at 11:59. Only way I can see him going to vegas is if they make that Karlsson traded that was hinted at the trade deadline first

Vegas has a ton of depth guys. What they don't have are the top line players at C or D to win. Tavares checks off the one box. They should also be in the hunt to trade for EK over the summer

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There’s no question. I agree. It’s all about comparison.

I’m just trying to understand this whole, “there’s no #1 Dman” concept, as if it’s written in stone as a requirement.

A bunch of teams can make strong cases.

I’m not the one excluding the options for made up reasons.

As for the goaltending, the Avs have lots of assets to go out and get goaltending help if needed. I’m not concerned.

Oh yeah, there are a ton of teams that can make a case. Even if the case isn't as strong as other teams, they can still make a case. What will get any team their foot in the door is whether they can afford 12 mil a season. With the cap going up, a lot of teams either have the money already or have the flexibility to make it available if it came to be that Tavares signs with them.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The Avs have a good enough top 4 D.

And they have 2 very good D prospects on the way.

How do you know how JT perceives EJ? Maybe he sees him as a #1D.

Also, why is the #1D such an important aspect? The Avs defence is better than the habs, despite having man-mountain Weber as their #1. So what’s with this JT needs a #1D or he’s not signing there argument? Is there proof of this? A link? A source?

Or just some random requirement to give yourself a better chance in your mind?

The poster said "Colorado has everything Tavares needs". Seems obvious that a 1D and a 1 Goalie is something that Tavares would want. He didnt have that with the Islanders.

Other than Pithsburgh who have 2 generational forward on their team, which other team has won a cup without a number 1D?

Also the habs defense + goaltending is easily better than the avs.
Weber was injured for most of the year, and Price missed a couple of months + underperformed. The habs were 3rd in the league last year in goals against.

I dont see why Tavares would choose Colorado over the blues or San Jose. They are both much more complete teams.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
True, but Tavares could really turn that around.

O'Reilly-Tavares-Okposo
Nylander-Eichel-Reinhart

Is a pretty good top 6. Add a defenceman or two, get a goalie, Playoffs??

Just a guess here but if Tavares signed with Buffalo I am guessing O'Reilly gets traded(cap space + used to help the defense)

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Just a guess here but if Tavares signed with Buffalo I am guessing O'Reilly gets traded(cap space + used to help the defense)

Maybe, but Buffalo's has no wingers also. O'Reilly can put up top line points on wing too. And with Tavares, his point totals may go ballistic.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the isles... take the 8 and ask out if they suck in a few......

But if he is leaving, you would have to think the sharks would Be a contender now right?
Tons of cap, looking to go deep, top flight d and a good keeper.

If he wants a window opening team, Toronto. If he wants a window open team sharks. If he wants money... isles. Those are my guesses.

Isles
Sharks
Leafs.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Still think it's likely he re-signs with the Isles but the closer it gets to July 1st, I see him testing the market, and if he does, I don't see him returning to Long Island. There are too many good teams that can offer him the same/similar money, without the 8th year obviously. I don't dislike San Jose but I'm rooting against them all playoffs (not working obviously) because I think they're St. Louis' biggest competition for him if he hits the market. At this point, I'd say NYI, San Jose not far behind, St. Louis a step below that in likelihood and then Vegas and Colorado in the same tier with Toronto in that same tier if they are serious about going after him. And Montreal with a (slim) chance simply for the need and $ factor. (A month ago, I would've said no chance to Montreal, but for some reason, I think it's getting likelier in my mind)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Generally I don’t think players care about draft picks unless it is like a Crosby/mcdavid talent. But......

What if the isles get the 1,2 overall? That would change things I would think

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
True, but Tavares could really turn that around.

O'Reilly-Tavares-Okposo
Nylander?-Eichel-Reinhart

Is a pretty good top 6. Add a defenceman or two, get a goalie, Playoffs??
So, all Buffalo has to do is add a 1C, 2 top-4 D, and a 1G, and they might make the playoffs?

Man, what a sales pitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->