Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Toronto has a number 1 centre, a massive amount of money needing to be paid to their 3 young guns and and obvious weakness on defence. Zero chance Toronto outbids Montreal. We can legitimately offer Tavares 13 million and be competitive. We have that much space with Gallagher at 3.7, chucky, 4.9, pacioretty 4.5, and drouin 5.5. Some severely underpaid talent there

And also a pick that can fill that top LD problem with a guy like Hughes or a winger to replace pacioretty if we trade him for a LD.

Pacioretty- Tavares -Gallagher
Galchenyuk- Drouin - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Hudon - Shaw - Deslauries

Hughes - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Carey ****ing Price

If that’s not a contender in a healthy season nothing is.

Not a contender. Vous ne gagnez pas.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Sharks make the most sense. Lots of prime aged players poised to make a run. Let Thornton walk and they can easily do it.

May not even have to let Jumbo walk. After two severe knees I can’t imagine he’s going to cost a huge amount, especially if the Sharks make a deep playoff run and he has a limited impact.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Yeah, you’re not really a good evaluator of talent or the parity of the league

Montreal has 4 guys capable of putting up 30 goals. The best goaltender in the best **** down defenseman in the league who also scores about 20 goals every year and a plethora of talented young defence and forwards on the cusp of breaking out.

Your bias and hate for the habs is so obvious, just stop man. It’s kinda sad tbh

When did the Habs get Pekka Rinne and Marc Édouard Vlassic?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's only reached 80 points 3 times in 9 seasons. Would he have reached 80 more with a different team? Definitely debatable. Half his points came on the powerplay this season which can be taken either way. When it comes to money it's not so much what's JT worth, but what's it worth to have him apart of your team? He's a legit #1 Center. If your team (Speaking about any team) doesn't pay the money some other team will, perhaps even in your own division. 12 million over 7, or in the Islanders case over 8 would be a mistake in my opinion. I'd say 9.5 (give or take a little)/7 is a good figure for him.

Reactions: IODCPiper

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
It's really up to Tavares now....I'm sure most of these teams will offer him something very similar and he'll just have to decide where he wants to go. (The cost of living in St. Louis is VERY low)

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Still think the Blues have a great shot at him. Having core guys right around his age like Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Schenn and Tarasenko has to be at least something he considers as a positive. The defense here would also have to look good to him with Pietrangelo, Edmundson, Parayko and Dunn as the top 4 and all relatively young. He wouldn't be asked to come in and lead this group, but instead would be joining that existing group which may be appealing to him as well. Despite the season the Blues just had I would think they would be one of the 3-4 teams on his short list.

Edit: I'll admit I also find Tarasenko to be a huge potential x factor here as he represents one of, if not the best possible winger that JT has to choose from between the contenders to sign him. The potential for huge point production with those 2 paired together is sky high and could give opposing defenses fits.

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
WFAN This morning in NY discussed that its going to be a 3 horse race if he gets to UFA between San Jose, STL, and Vegas. Said Tavares has no interest in having to deal with the media in Montreal or Toronto.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
WFAN This morning in NY discussed that its going to be a 3 horse race if he gets to UFA between San Jose, STL, and Vegas. Said Tavares has no interest in having to deal with the media in Montreal or Toronto.

LA after the disaster that has befallen them in the first round I think will be in on that too

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I wouldn't take any hockey talk on WFAN to have much authority behind it personally. But yeah, I don't see him going to MTL or Toronto. MTL is not good - I know a lot of the fans here think it's some hf bias but they're just not. The way fans describe them in here you'd expect them to be in the top 1/3 of the league instead of at the very bottom. I don't see why he'd leave NYI to go to a team is a very similar state. And for Toronto, media aside, they already have a 1C and need to upgrade their d substantially to push for a cup, it'd be a bad allocation of cap to sign him imo.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm not sure why people don't think Colorado is a viable option, if not one of the top contenders.

1. Youngest team in the league, that made the playoffs and has a few top prospects that haven't even made their NHL debuts in Timmins and Makar.
2. He wouldn't have to be "the guy" offensively with MacKinnon and Rantanen already on the team
3. Denver is not a big hockey media town so he wouldn't have to deal with big market press.
4. Avs have basically unlimited cap space.
5. Avs look to be on the up swing towards contending with Tavares they'd be a tough team to contend with in the West.

I really think the Avs will be pushing hard for Tavares and will be right in it until the end.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'm not sure why people don't think Colorado is a viable option, if not one of the top contenders.

1. Youngest team in the league, that made the playoffs and has a few top prospects that haven't even made their NHL debuts in Timmins and Makar.
2. He wouldn't have to be "the guy" offensively with MacKinnon and Rantanen already on the team
3. Denver is not a big hockey media town so he wouldn't have to deal with big market press.
4. Avs have basically unlimited cap space.
5. Avs look to be on the up swing towards contending with Tavares they'd be a tough team to contend with in the West.

I really think the Avs will be pushing hard for Tavares and will be right in it until the end.

They wouldn’t need a second really good center if they didn’t let Stastny walk, or better yet trading off Duchene and ROR.

Jan 21, 2018

Well it's not like Toronto has any interest in him so basically it's a shot at Montreal lol

Jan 21, 2018
They wouldn’t need a second really good center if they didn’t let Stastny walk, or better yet trading off Duchene and ROR.

Stastny got overpaid for what he brings, Duchene got a good return, and ROR also go overpaid but is probably the only one of the 3 they really should have kept.

It still shocks me to see so many Avs fans thinking they won the ROR trade

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well Duchene and RoR didn't want to be here. And Stastny helped us to a playoff appearance and we hoped he would resign and didn't. Tough break but oh well it was worth keeping the team together and making the playoffs that year.

Now with Tavares on the open market and the Avs needing scoring depth I would assume we would make a push for him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well Duchene and RoR didn't want to be here. And Stastny helped us to a playoff appearance and we hoped he would resign and didn't. Tough break but oh well it was worth keeping the team together and making the playoffs that year.

Now with Tavares on the open market and the Avs needing scoring depth I would assume we would make a push for him.

I could see the Avs making a pitch and they have a lot going for them but their goaltending situation after next year could be a problem there.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Stastny got overpaid for what he brings, Duchene got a good return, and ROR also go overpaid but is probably the only one of the 3 they really should have kept.

It still shocks me to see so many Avs fans thinking they won the ROR trade
We did win the RoR trade. RoR wants out of Buffalo and we got Zadorov (who is criminally under rated) and Compher plus a couple other decent prospects. I'll call that a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad