Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Look I'm not saying they wont be good players but can you definately say they wont regress? That regression is not some part of the production decline this year? If Tavares leave NYI it would be to join someone that'll be a legit contender during his 7 year contract. If I were JT I would look at SJ and be worried how my core was gonna hold up as 36 year olds
No every player is going to regress. And the Sharks definitely could be a contender for the full 7 years. All they would need is a 4-6 offensive D. They have Meier, Labanc, Balcers, Norris, etc. that are good wing players that are young. Also Hertl and Tierney in the middle. And Couture who’s no slouch. People act like 75% of the Sharks players are already about to retire. The Sharks have young players. They don’t have top end prospects because all of their top prospects or young players are in the NHL (Meier, Labanc, Ryan, Hertl, Tierney, Donskoi, etc)

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
There's way more optimism here than on the Isles board. We really don't think he's staying. He would be crazy to re-sign with the Isles.

Sure, he was in a slump, but it seems like it ended a few games ago, he's fine now. And he was always slower in comparison to many other players, never stopped him from being good. I would say signing a guy who doesn't rely on his skating to score isn't that high risk.

I agree with you in that he would be crazy to stay in NY.
I was shocked Snow did little at the deadline when the team was in playoff contention to bulk up.....if for no other reason to show JT they are building around him and want to give him a reason to stay.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Then we just see things differently. It's possible. He looks just fine to me right now. At the begining of this season he was as close to his 'beast mode' as he was in last two years, but that never lasts for very long. And his line is producing just fine right now. At the begining of the season they were incredible, now they're back to their normal effectiveness (which isn't bad).

But I have to agree, Tavares looks bad. Like he's defeated. This organisation finally broke him after 9 years.

Right now I don't think the Isles should re-sign him. Fire Snow, fire Weight, get some competent people and do almost a complete re-build around Barzal. We have enough vets to be there for the younger guys, some contracts we need to end before we'll be able to seriously compete and right now Tavares' contract would get in a way of this. Let him win the Cup somewhere else. (That is if Barzal wants to stick with this ****ty team for a few more years, which I'm guessing he may not want to do.)

JT still has the hands in close. His value will come on the PP. He will fill the net playing on a good PP. What would worry me is his 5 v 5 play, also in OT, he is not really that effective since skating ice opens up. It's a risk - reward formula we have to consider. The Isles probably will pay him, because losing him would be painful to the fans.

I watch a lot of Islander games for Barzal. So to me I see how his game has slipped. Others here wishing their team sign him, I would suspect have not seen as many Islander games. Otherwise they may be leary of a long term contract to a slowing player too.

You don't want to get to a point like Montreal, where it is impossible to unload salaries. But who knows maybe JT is hurt and he will return to his previous 5 v 5 play, he's still going to be a PP beast. Up to the team signing him to rationalize is this enough?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I fully expect him to stay with the Islanders. If he did leave I think STL/SJS can make a strong case. But there can be some dark horses like Colorado or Philly that I think can offer him a better core to be part of. Toronto is a wild card, if they sign JT and their young 3 it’s going to make it difficult to invest on improving their defense.
Highly unlikely the Flyers sign him. Signing Tavares goes against evrything that Hextall is trying to do. He doesn't go after big fish in the free agent market.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I would have to think despite the Blues disappointing season they remain a top 3 potential destination for Tavares. With the cap going up a lot more teams than originally anticipated will be able to fit his contract so I don't consider that to be a major factor.

Potential positives about the Blues from Tavares viewpoint:

1. Prime aged core group right around his age. Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, Schwartz and Schenn have to be a pretty attractive group of support in general for a guy like JT.

2. The Blues already have a great group of defensemen light years better than the Isles and better than other rivals for his services this summer. I would think with the circus show of shots against he's going through right now this would probably be a big selling point.

3. Even with a down year Tarasenko has to be pretty big selling point. Schwartz and Schenn have already shown they have serious chemistry as a duo. Vlad doesn't currently have that kind of dynamic going on so there's a serious goal scorer in need of a buddy and the Blues are most definitely in the market for a top center for him to form a 2nd dynamic duo.

4. Despite on ice success in recent seasons (not counting this year of course), the Blues have proven they draft incredibly well even with low draft position. This has to be a mark in their favor of showing they can sustain and possibly improve their on ice results throughout his contract. This also puts them in a position to maneuver around the bigger contracts on the roster and still find quality players to backfill when those inevitable situations come up.

Now for the negatives......

Potential negativesfor the Blues from Tavares viewpoint:

1. Mike Yeo's track record as HC.
His teams have horrendously inept PP's despite having personnel who should thrive in that situation. His teams also take a 2-3 month dive into the abyss midseason with no indication that will change(see current Blues season). Is that really the kind of situation Tavares wants to enter into? Because if I'm hitting UFA and I get to pick my destination for the best years of my career and my best chance to win a Cup then I'm looking elsewhere for a stable coaching situation, not more of the same. This Blues coaching staff was assembled last off season and clearly has some warts that need to be addressed.

2. Jake Allen is a completely unreliable starting goalie who at 28 is still unsound positionally and is under contract for several more seasons. After what he's dealt with in NY I can't see this situation here as being appealing in the slightest.

3. Very recent PO success.
Blues have regressed in this regard over the last 2 seasons since their WCF appearance. Obviously they are/were retooling but the bottom line here is that the results haven't been as good despite whatever reasons for it are legitimate. This of course can turn around very quickly but this may be viewed as a negative by Tavares who no doubt was aware that Shattenkirk and now Stastny have been dealt for futures in successive seasons at the TDL. Not good optics despite being smart moves organizationally.

This is all speculation on my part of course but I tried to be honest about this unique situation from a Blues/Tavares perspective.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
My order of likeliness

NYI
STL
VGK
NJ
SJ

I'm a habs fan, no way he comes here. If he wants to be in a messy organization, he'll just stay put (I do think that he'll stay not because the organization is messy obviously, but because I'm not sure he wants to leave an environment that he knows. He might also have seen punctual positive signs this year, especially with Barzal. Maybe if Snow commits to getting a goaltender who can stop a puck here and there could help as well). He has absolutely no incentive to come to Montreal; the team is in shambles, no notable prospects that ocould make the jump within years and 2 of the last 3 seasons were a disaster, the other season ended in a very disappointing 1st round elimination. Furthermore, any offer made by Montreal, another team will find a way to match; that other team will probably be better than the Canadiens and in an area where he will be taxed as much or less. Add to that the fact that Price has been piling the significant injuries for a couple of years now and Weber will be 33 at the beginning of next season also coming back from a long term injury, so whose to say how he'll look in September? Much uncertainty around the team's biggest profile players. No reason to come over whatsoever.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Vegas, Avs or NJ is a sharp move that works for both sides, meaning cap implications are less severe for the team and the player can still get his payday.

Though I'm not sure Tavares would do the Islanders like that by signing within the division.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I could see NJ being very appealing to JT. I don't understand their situation well on the whole but if staying close to where he's already living is a factor then they probably top his list or at the very least are near the top. You never know how much the fiancee factors in but that could be a big consideration for JT.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
JT still has the hands in close. His value will come on the PP. He will fill the net playing on a good PP. What would worry me is his 5 v 5 play, also in OT, he is not really that effective since skating ice opens up. It's a risk - reward formula we have to consider. The Isles probably will pay him, because losing him would be painful to the fans.

I watch a lot of Islander games for Barzal. So to me I see how his game has slipped. Others here wishing their team sign him, I would suspect have not seen as many Islander games. Otherwise they may be leary of a long term contract to a slowing player too.

You don't want to get to a point like Montreal, where it is impossible to unload salaries. But who knows maybe JT is hurt and he will return to his previous 5 v 5 play, he's still going to be a PP beast. Up to the team signing him to rationalize is this enough?

I watched almost every game the Isles played this season - I think I missed two or maybe three - and I don't see a reason to worry after signing Tavares. He's hell of a player and if you don't see him as such, well, that's too bad but I guess one poster not liking him on a hockey board won't hurt him.

Seriously, I will say that twice. I watched almost every game they played and I don't see a reason to not sign him. He's not slowing, he was always slow. He's making up for it in other areas. So we have to agree to disagree on this. Because seriously, it looks like you're just not wanting for anyone to sign him right now. I get it, you don't like the guy, but let people be excited and don't downplay a really good player.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm shocked and impressed that Toronto isn't being brought up for a destination. I honestly don't think they'll do anything other than kicking the tires on him for the following reasons;

1. Too much money tied up in the forwards, not enough in defense.
2. He doesn't fill a glaring hole. He'd be a great luxury add, though.
3. This will be unpopular but since we can't down-vote posts - I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs had concerns about how he'll age. He came into the league as a poor skater but thanks to hard work and dedication, he's become a very good skater but once his body slows down and he doesn't have a natural stride to fall back on, I think he's looking at a significant drop-off. Especially so with the Leafs and their up-tempo style.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I would have to think despite the Blues disappointing season they remain a top 3 potential destination for Tavares. With the cap going up a lot more teams than originally anticipated will be able to fit his contract so I don't consider that to be a major factor.

Potential positives about the Blues from Tavares viewpoint:

1. Prime aged core group right around his age. Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, Schwartz and Schenn have to be a pretty attractive group of support in general for a guy like JT.

2. The Blues already have a great group of defensemen light years better than the Isles and better than other rivals for his services this summer. I would think with the circus show of shots against he's going through right now this would probably be a big selling point.

3. Even with a down year Tarasenko has to be pretty big selling point. Schwartz and Schenn have already shown they have serious chemistry as a duo. Vlad doesn't currently have that kind of dynamic going on so there's a serious goal scorer in need of a buddy and the Blues are most definitely in the market for a top center for him to form a 2nd dynamic duo.

4. Despite on ice success in recent seasons (not counting this year of course), the Blues have proven they draft incredibly well even with low draft position. This has to be a mark in their favor of showing they can sustain and possibly improve their on ice results throughout his contract. This also puts them in a position to maneuver around the bigger contracts on the roster and still find quality players to backfill when those inevitable situations come up.

Now for the negatives......

Potential negativesfor the Blues from Tavares viewpoint:

1. Mike Yeo's track record as HC.
His teams have horrendously inept PP's despite having personnel who should thrive in that situation. His teams also take a 2-3 month dive into the abyss midseason with no indication that will change(see current Blues season). Is that really the kind of situation Tavares wants to enter into? Because if I'm hitting UFA and I get to pick my destination for the best years of my career and my best chance to win a Cup then I'm looking elsewhere for a stable coaching situation, not more of the same. This Blues coaching staff was assembled last off season and clearly has some warts that need to be addressed.

2. Jake Allen is a completely unreliable starting goalie who at 28 is still unsound positionally and is under contract for several more seasons. After what he's dealt with in NY I can't see this situation here as being appealing in the slightest.

3. Very recent PO success.
Blues have regressed in this regard over the last 2 seasons since their WCF appearance. Obviously they are/were retooling but the bottom line here is that the results haven't been as good despite whatever reasons for it are legitimate. This of course can turn around very quickly but this may be viewed as a negative by Tavares who no doubt was aware that Shattenkirk and now Stastny have been dealt for futures in successive seasons at the TDL. Not good optics despite being smart moves organizationally.

This is all speculation on my part of course but I tried to be honest about this unique situation from a Blues/Tavares perspective.
Petro and JT are boys. Both grew up in Toronto and played for the (you guessed it) BLUES (Toronto youth team) growing up. Also have a long history playing on Team Canada together from their teenage years well into their pro years. Heck they look like they can be brothers! Man he looks good in that Blues sweater

th

tumblr_n1gfw5bFd91qdbe91o1_250.gif

john-tavares-l-and-alex-pietrangelo-fight-for-the-puck-at-a-team-canada-gncgnc.jpg

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I watched almost every game the Isles played this season - I think I missed two or maybe three - and I don't see a reason to worry after signing Tavares. He's hell of a player and if you don't see him as such, well, that's too bad but I guess one poster not liking him on a hockey board won't hurt him.

Seriously, I will say that twice. I watched almost every game they played and I don't see a reason to not sign him. He's not slowing, he was always slow. He's making up for it in other areas. So we have to agree to disagree on this. Because seriously, it looks like you're just not wanting for anyone to sign him right now. I get it, you don't like the guy, but let people be excited and don't downplay a really good player.

If we are to have a honest discussion. Let's have one. I don't know where JT is going to sign. He has 31 teams to negotiate with. I am not trying to play Debbie Downer here. As I said I comment on what I see. I can safely say I watch more Islanders games that the average HF poster on here that is not an Islanders fan. I have seen a decline in his play. I would love to be wrong. And he could bounce back 5 v 5 next season. Again he is going to be a terrific PP player regardless.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I'm shocked and impressed that Toronto isn't being brought up for a destination. I honestly don't think they'll do anything other than kicking the tires on him for the following reasons;

1. Too much money tied up in the forwards, not enough in defense.
2. He doesn't fill a glaring hole. He'd be a great luxury add, though.
3. This will be unpopular but since we can't down-vote posts - I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs had concerns about how he'll age. He came into the league as a poor skater but thanks to hard work and dedication, he's become a very good skater but once his body slows down and he doesn't have a natural stride to fall back on, I think he's looking at a significant drop-off. Especially so with the Leafs and their up-tempo style.

Toronto has a stable of young players that need to get raises in the next couple of seasons. Without moving a couple of them, they can't be too serious JT

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
If we are to have a honest discussion. Let's have one. I don't know where JT is going to sign. He has 31 teams to negotiate with. I am not trying to play Debbie Downer here. As I said I comment on what I see. I can safely say I watch more Islanders games that the average HF poster on here that is not an Islanders fan. I have seen a decline in his play. I would love to be wrong. And he could bounce back 5 v 5 next season. Again he is going to be a terrific PP player regardless.

No, let's not. I don't like having discussions with people who can't accept that the other side sees things differently.

You are playing Debbie Downer here and in every other place where Tavares' name is mentioned. I can safely say I watched more Islanders games than you and I haven't seen a decline in his play except the obvious slump, that was beaten to death and that he's getting out of. He had an amazing start to this season, but that's not his standard (with the way he was playing in the begining of this season he was gonna have a HELL out of a career year) and he's never been able to keep this level of play for very long. That's not to say he isn't a great player because he is and any team would be lucky to have him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No, let's not. I don't like having discussions with people who can't accept that the other side sees things differently.

You are playing Debbie Downer here and in every other place where Tavares' name is mentioned. I can safely say I watched more Islanders games than you and I haven't seen a decline in his play except the obvious slump, that was beaten to death and that he's getting out of. He had an amazing start to this season, but that's not his standard (with the way he was playing in the begining of this season he was gonna have a HELL out of a career year) and he's never been able to keep this level of play for very long. That's not to say he isn't a great player because he is and any team would be lucky to have him.

Fair enough. Let's not then. Have a nice day. I would rather discuss hockey honestly where pros and cons are discussed. As I did in this case, JT is still elite on the PP, positive. 5 v 5 has left a lot to be desired of late. Negative. So caution is needed if a team is going to sign a long term contract for him. if indeed a his skating is declining. That's what I say as a non Islanders fan but as a fan of the NHL based on the many Islanders games I have seen this season.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

To be fair, there has been a decline in *all* NYI players' play. But, in general, the thing that people need to realize about JT is that he's a better player when he doesn't have to carry the puck. His decline in play directly correlates with his desire to put the team on his back. He's better when he plays like Joe Pavelski than he is when he plays like a poor man's Sidney Crosby. Putting him on a team with Taylor Hall or Jakub Voracek would be deadly, and that's what I'm afraid of.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
To be fair, there has been a decline in *all* NYI players' play. But, in general, the thing that people need to realize about JT is that he's a better player when he doesn't have to carry the puck. His decline in play directly correlates with his desire to put the team on his back. He's better when he plays like Joe Pavelski than he is when he plays like a poor man's Sidney Crosby. Putting him on a team with Taylor Hall or Jakub Voracek would be deadly, and that's what I'm afraid of.

Yep, put him with a couple of fast wingers, may be the way to go. I made a suggestion to of switching up Barzal's wingers with JT's last week before his 2 point night. Weight put him with Barzal instead. I think he needs quicker wingers at this point in his career. On the PP he can play with Bailey and Lee. He's still good on the PP. No complaint there.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Fair enough. Let's not then. Have a nice day. I would rather discuss hockey honestly where pros and cons are discussed. As I did in this case, JT is still elite on the PP, positive. 5 v 5 has left a lot to be desired of late. Negative. So caution is needed if a team is going to sign a long term contract for him. if indeed a his skating is declining. That's what I say as a non Islanders fan but as a fan of the NHL based on the many Islanders games I have seen this season.

Have a nice day too! I know I'll have one, watching the Isles get smeared on ice by the Penguins.

And really, how many times you'll write that? We know you think that. We agree or disagree with you. Nothing we'll say can change your mind. Time to move on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There is
Have a nice day too! I know I'll have one, watching the Isles get smeared on ice by the Penguins.

And really, how many times you'll write that? We know you think that. We agree or disagree with you. Nothing we'll say can change your mind. Time to move on.
There is nothing to change minds on. It's a hockey board. We are here to discuss hockey. If we all agreed on everything. No one would be posting since we would all know the answers. It's just a game. Nothing to get worked up about.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
you traded your first round pick for brayden schenn, dude.

Mkay....I said retool, not rebuild. Dude.

That was part of the retool process. Getting rid of Lehtera and getting someone better with term. Schenn is part of the long term plan. He's not a rental.

Not to mention we got a first round pick back in that same draft with the Reaves trade.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Islanders for sure. I think he would have been traded at the deadline if he was not going to return. They've fallen out of the race, but I am sure JT didn't want to negotiate a contract in the middle of a playoff push. Islanders have a good young team, and are going to add tw0 top 15 picks in a deep draft to the team. They are also opening a new rink on Long island in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->