Where does Mike O'Connell rank with the worst GMs of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

The Bruins came out of the lockout with a clean slate and over $20 million to fill a custom roster with in the biggest FA pool ever.

He came out with a horrendous defense for the first two months of the year and had to trade Scatchard, one of their only offensive contributors, for a defenseman in Tanabe, who has been terrible while paired with Leetch.

Then the team still sucked, so he had to trade Thornton for Stuart, Sturm, and Primeau. Some argue he could've gotten more, but let me tell you, without those three players, the Bruins would be down with Washington and St. Louis now.

They still stuck around .500 for a while, and were falling out of the race, so he could either go for a run and make the playoffs or completely sell for young talent, and what he does is keep the overpaid underacheivers in Murray and Leetch, but trades a relatively cheap UFA in Samsonov for a 29 year old borderline 4th liner and a prospect we already gave away for Isbister...

This has to be one of the biggest butcher jobs in NHL history, right?

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Can't disagree with you on any points. The fact that he completely ignored the defense and was relying on 3 rookies was the first sign of trouble.

I think chemistry has been an issue, as well. When you decide to keep only a small amount of the core, bring in 4 or 5 rookies and 4 or 5 free agents then the team just isn't going to gel quickly.

I've not been overly impressed with his drafting. Wasn't he the one who spent a seventh overall pick on Jonsson?

Even the decision to bring in Sullivan has proven to be poor.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Where does Mike O'Connell rank with the worst GMs of all time?

He`s bad, but all-time there`s been worse:

Baz Bastien : traded a 1st round pick for Rod Schutt thinking he was Steve Shutt

Randy Sexton : Ottawa`s turn from a crappy team to a competetive team started the day they fired him

Mike Milbury : Ask any Islander fan on here for the details

Mike Smith : Let his fetish for Russians interfere with his job

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The real question is where does Jeremy Jacobs rank with the worst owners of all-time?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
reckoning said:

Baz Bastien : traded a 1st round pick for Rod Schutt thinking he was Steve Shutt

Randy Sexton : Ottawa`s turn from a crappy team to a competetive team started the day they fired him

You forgot Craig (the clown) Button....

Savard for Zainullin, sign Turek to 4.5M :cry:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
reckoning said:
The real question is where does Jeremy Jacobs rank with the worst owners of all-time?
Trailiing only Wirtz and Ballard off the top of my head.

Ray Miron (aka Moron) is another worse than MOC. I would have loved to see what the Colorado Rockies could have become with compitant management.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
El_Scoobo said:
Can't disagree with you on any points. The fact that he completely ignored the defense and was relying on 3 rookies was the first sign of trouble.

I think chemistry has been an issue, as well. When you decide to keep only a small amount of the core, bring in 4 or 5 rookies and 4 or 5 free agents then the team just isn't going to gel quickly.

I've not been overly impressed with his drafting. Wasn't he the one who spent a seventh overall pick on Jonsson?

Even the decision to bring in Sullivan has proven to be poor.

The thing is, as far as the D is concerned, the rookies have not been the problem. Jurcina and Alberts have stepped in and while they were a little green at first, I think I speak for all (or most) Bruins fans when I say that both have exceeded my expectations this season. My only complaint is that Alberts is not getting enough ice time.

I have no complaints about the drafting, either. Bergeron 45th overall in 2003 and Toivonen 29th overall in 2002.

Agreed on the chemistry factor, and Sullivan. MOC is just an awful general manager who is seemingly not going to be held responsible for his own actions. I'll NEVER give up on the Bruins but this team is making it very difficult for me to care about them right now.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Two words: Floyd Smith. O'Connell never gave up a first round pick in 1991 for Tom Kurvers. Several problems with that trade:

1) Smith acquired Kurvers.
2) Smith gave up a first round pick to get Kurvers.
3) Kurvers was dealt later that year to Vancouver for Brian Bradley. (Bradley was a disaster with the Leafs, left unexposed in the 1992 waiver draft and was claimed by TBay).
4) That first round pick wound up being Scott Niedermayer. (Toronto was so bad in 1990-91 that many were worried that first round pick would wind up being Eric Lindros).

Randy Sexton was an unmitigated disaster in Ottawa. He was so bad, many thought Ottawa would be in trouble for years after he left.

There you have it, Bruin fans. It does get worse. Much, much worse. (Shudder).

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I watched the game last night and I have to agree.

Their best player by far, was someone who was on waivers not long ago.

One thing though, I don't know how much the owner ties O'Connell's hands. They could have gotten better offers on some of their deals but not wanted to take on salary.

Tough time to be a Bruins fan.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
reckoning said:

Reggie Houle has to be on this list.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
reckoning said:

Rejean Houle was just straight up bad.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Mike Milbury is the worst GM I have ever seen in any sport I follow.

He gets ripped on HF, but I dont think it even does justice, just how bad he has been.

I think it will take a long time, and some of these guys he moved finishing their careers before it sets in just how bad he is.

MOC is making a case, but has a long ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad