Where Does Lupul Stand?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the leafs are in no position to be trading away quality top six scoring talent.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
This. Leivo doesn't have Lupul type talent. He's probably better on the boards but Lupul has the shot and the wheels
I'd have to agree. Nylander is more likely to be able to replace Lupul on a skills basis. Nevertheless, I don't think it's a good idea to trade him. His contract isn't as bad as people think it is. Instead, he should be better utilised and probably play away from Kadri/ Kessel.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Nonis might need to make the post season but Shanahan isn't going to let him make lame duck decisions for the team here. Shanahan brought in Hunter who is one of the best junior scouts there is at the executive level and this is one of the deepest drafts in a decade combined with Lupul who has had extensive injury problems. If we can get a late 1st out of a contending team for Lupul, depending on where we are in the standings, it could be the right decision to make and if it is Nonis will have to make the deal.

Agreed, but it really wont happen unless Lupul is deemed replaceable. Right now we have bottom 6 players contributing at a much higher rate then their career averages (Komarov, Winnick), which probably can't be sustainable. Until someone like Leivo can step in and make an impact there is no way I can see Lupul being traded when we are going into a wide open eastern conference, we simply don't have the offensive depth. Franson on the other hand, he should be traded by the deadline, I will personally find it a serious failure by management.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Agreed, but it really wont happen unless Lupul is deemed replaceable. Right now we have bottom 6 players contributing at a much higher rate then their career averages (Komarov, Winnick), which probably can't be sustainable. Until someone like Leivo can step in and make an impact there is no way I can see Lupul being traded when we are going into a wide open eastern conference, we simply don't have the offensive depth. Franson on the other hand, he should be traded by the deadline, I will personally find it a serious failure by management.

How will we ever know if they can step and make an impact unless we give them the opportunity ?

also the old old saying goes , it's better to try to trade a player a year too early than a year too late

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I actually really liked MacArthur and was sorry to see him go. I think letting Raymond go was the right decision. Lupul was just so good leading up to that extension that I can't blame management for that decision.

I too liked MacArthur! I would have preferred giving Mac what was given to Clarkson! A better waste of money to me. However, what is done, is done! :rant:

As for Lupul, well, when he is on his game, and healthy, he contributes offensively! However, when he's terrible defensively, or always injured, he's just not worth the cap hit IMHO. :shakehead

I think we need to cut ties with Lupul, get what we can for him before he can find himself a career ending injury. :p:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's got more value then people think I'd say. The Leafs really need to move away from Lupul though. He's a good player but the Leafs need the cap space more and have players coming up that will require the ice time.

I'd accept a soft deal for him, like a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a decent prospect or two.

Any trade for Lupul will be done in the summer though, probably around the deadline. Teams looking for some firepower upfront and/or a veteran or two would probably target someone like Lupul. Let's not forget that he has had a huge impact since joining the Leafs, having 150 points in 188 games is excellent to be perfectly honest for a player paid just above 5M. Even with his slow start offensively this season, he's been pretty snake bitten and has been playing very well.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
He's got more value then people think I'd say. The Leafs really need to move away from Lupul though. He's a good player but the Leafs need the cap space more and have players coming up that will require the ice time.

I'd accept a soft deal for him, like a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a decent prospect or two.

Any trade for Lupul will be done in the summer though, probably around the deadline. Teams looking for some firepower upfront and/or a veteran or two would probably target someone like Lupul. Let's not forget that he has had a huge impact since joining the Leafs, having 150 points in 188 games is excellent to be perfectly honest for a player paid just above 5M. Even with his slow start offensively this season, he's been pretty snake bitten and has been playing very well.

This post makes no sense. You say he's got more value than people think and then follow that up by saying you'd take a 2nd or 3rd plus a prospect :skeptic:

CalgaryLeaf*

The Leafs will just have to live with Lupul and his injuries because no other team will trade for him...Accept it and hope he can play 60+ games a year for the team..It is what it is.
When healthy Lupel is one of the best players on the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This post makes no sense. You say he's got more value than people think and then follow that up by saying you'd take a 2nd or 3rd plus a prospect :skeptic:

What's hard to understand? That's value to me, especially taking the realistic approach that not many teams would be interested in him due to his health concerns.

A lot of people don't even think he's tradable.

A top 90 pick and a prospect for clearing his cap is pretty damn valuable to me.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
the leafs are in no position to be trading away quality top six scoring talent.

If you're referring to Lupul, then, what good is he when he spends so much time on the injury reserve? :help:

Sure, he's great offensively when he's on his game, but, too often his defensive woes negate his offensive contributions. He also can't stay healthy long enough to bring continuity to the line combos. :shakehead

He also may start to decline soon, as he is north of 30 years old now! :dunno:

I would take a low 1st rounder, and a prospect, if it were offered! :nod:

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
healthy or not, Lupul is not an impact player.

Weak defensively, over rated as a leader, hasn't ever won anything in this league.

It's not coincidence that we made the playoffs when Lupul only played less than 20 games.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
healthy or not, Lupul is not an impact player.

Weak defensively, over rated as a leader, hasn't ever won anything in this league.

It's not coincidence that we made the playoffs when Lupul only played less than 20 games.
2012-2013 NHL GP: 16 ,G:11 ,A:7 ,+8

But I guess that doesn't matter

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I would take a low 1st rounder, and a prospect, if it were offered! :nod:

One has to wonder what Lupul's value is right now. He hasnt posted good point totals without Phil Kessel, he plays 2/3-3/4 a season and at his age will only continue to decline. Other teams see this too ya know.

I think if you're trading him now, you are selling low. When he is healthy he needs to be put back with Phil, try and pump his tires a bit than move him at the TD.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Lupul can play on both wings and is a top 6 player.

He stands as a valuable piece when he is healthy (even though it is very very frustrating to see he is injured yet again). There's no need to hit the eject button unless you are giving someone space who is absolutely 100% better than him. Which is nobody at the moment, so whatever.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON

If they see Nylander fitting into our top 6 next year and things are not looking great for us by the trade deadline then I don't see why Shanahan would not want to trade Lupul while his value is still decent. He's the type of player who could be 1 more injury away from drastically losing his trade value. I would sell now. I mean if you're Leafs management you have to ask yourself. Where will Lupul's game be at by the time we are contenders? How much more injuries is he going to sustain? How will his body hold up into his mid 30s? These are all concerns for me personally.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Lupul's value.

Is at an all-time low really. We have no choice but to carry him until TD when GM`s go loco and start to overpay for players. The question is what is Shanny thinking? This team is close? We need to start selling older guys? Hard to tell. No doubt the offers right now don't even make him/Nonnis blink.

We don't gain much by trading him for a 2nd/3rd rounder right now,so you keep him, hope he gets healthy and wait for the offers at TD.I don`t see the point in letting him go for less than a late first as he could help with depth should this team make the playoffs. Most 2nd and 3rd rounders never play in the NHL , let alone have any impact.

Durkin67

Great veteran voice, unbelievable skills when not on the trainer's table. He needs to go to a contender out west where his secondary scoring adds insurance for a team making a cup run. He's got three years after this one. on a team with cap like Nashville, a deal for Lupul would make sense, but there would have to be a willingness to eat some cap as NSH operates on a budget close the the cap floor.

Consider something like Lupes and Gardiner for Seth Jones, or maybe talk to CGY about a great young forward like Monahan. Sure it would suck to give up Monahan, but they also have Bennett, Goudreau, Klimchuk, Granlund, Backlund, Reinhart and Baertschi. Id even add Holland to make that go. A centre corps of Kadri, Monahan and Bozak wouldn't suck.

CGY needs depth and they need leadership. That might be an option for Lupes who is an Alberta boy, And Burkie thinks highly of him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Lupul was a bad long term investment. He's like a short term reclamation like Clarke MacArthur or Mason Raymond that Leaf management mistook for an important piece. Add to the fact that he's so brittle, it's just not the best fit.

Thankfully someone out-bid the Leafs for Bolland. Can you imagine?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Great veteran voice, unbelievable skills when not on the trainer's table. He needs to go to a contender out west where his secondary scoring adds insurance for a team making a cup run. He's got three years after this one. on a team with cap like Nashville, a deal for Lupul would make sense, but there would have to be a willingness to eat some cap as NSH operates on a budget close the the cap floor.

Consider something like Lupes and Gardiner for Seth Jones, or maybe talk to CGY about a great young forward like Monahan. Sure it would suck to give up Monahan, but they also have Bennett, Goudreau, Klimchuk, Granlund, Backlund, Reinhart and Baertschi. Id even add Holland to make that go. A centre corps of Kadri, Monahan and Bozak wouldn't suck.

CGY needs depth and they need leadership. That might be an option for Lupes who is an Alberta boy, And Burkie thinks highly of him.

You're not getting a Monahan level prospect never mind a Jones level prospect for Lupes even if you include Gards .

Also it's going to very difficult to find a team to take him unless we take back a similar contract . Cup contenders usually deal for players on expiring deals due to being at the ceiling so unless they have open cap space the following year and feel he fits with them long term they'll have little interest in him .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->