Where Does Lupul Stand?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
The often injured Joffrey Lupul is once again on the IR. His health has always been a concern but at least when he was in the lineup you could count on him being a difference maker and major contributor to the team. It wasn't too long ago that I would have argued that Lupul was the most important forward on the roster. Clutch scoring and a high compete level had me thinking future captain but after last season and what he's shown so far this season he seems like a completely different guy than the player who came into town with a huge chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove. When his contract extension was announced (5 years @ around $26mil) I thought it was a great signing but now I'm not so sure. Was Lupul's elite play just a flash in the pan or is he still capable of being that player?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lupul was a bad long term investment. He's like a short term reclamation like Clarke MacArthur or Mason Raymond that Leaf management mistook for an important piece. Add to the fact that he's so brittle, it's just not the best fit.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The problem is...

The same as Clarkson, his contract may make him untradeable, yet alone his brittleness. I doubt we can frame this guy for trade now, he gets injured too often, not his fault but Nonnis needs to stay way from big bucks for 30 year olds.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Lupul was a bad long term investment. He's like a short term reclamation like Clarke MacArthur or Mason Raymond that Leaf management mistook for an important piece. Add to the fact that he's so brittle, it's just not the best fit.

I actually really liked MacArthur and was sorry to see him go. I think letting Raymond go was the right decision. Lupul was just so good leading up to that extension that I can't blame management for that decision.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Lupul is still a guy that if healthy is a dynamic forward. If we get him healthy for a playoff run, he'll be very valuable.

Next year if we have Nylander and hope to keep him at center, Lupul would be a good linemate. They looked pretty good together during preseason.

XXX - Kadri - Kessel
Jvr - Bozak - Clarkson
Lupul - Nylander - Komarov
XXXX - Holland -XXXX

If we get a competent coach that will utilize all 4 lines, we could be looking good. Lupul would be a good veteran to help insulate Nylander in the line up, while also giving him a high skill player.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Agreed, when healthy Lupul can be a dynamic pt per game calibre forward
It's good to have a guy like Winnik who can be his designated substitute - while losing some offense he upgrades the defense and cycling aspects in his place

But that's just for the present:
When Nylander is ready however, Lupul could be gone

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We'll be able to trade him to somewhere like Pittsburgh. He just needs one good stretch, and when we get that late 1st, we've just got to take it without any hesitation.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's good to have a guy like Winnik who can be his designated substitute - while losing some offense he upgrades the defense and cycling aspects in his place

Or Leivo... Which is right now. If we get that deal for Lupul, we're taking it.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
We'll be able to trade him to somewhere like Pittsburgh. He just needs one good stretch, and when we get that late 1st, we've just got to take it without any hesitation.

He would be a terrific fit in Pittsburgh. I'd be willing to deal for some future assets.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As good as he is when he is healthy i'd rather try and trade him and get something back for him and let others attempt to move into that role. It wouldn't hurt that we would also get a 5.25 million dollar cap hit.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I like Lupul, but he'l soon be very expendable and it's a shame he wasn't dealt last year at the deadline. This year Nonis knows he has to make the post season or pack his bags, so I doubt we see depth traded off. Same goes for Franson, unless he can be made expendable during the season by Rielly/Gardiner/Percy, I bet we lose him for nothing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That's all well and good, except a) Lupul is never healthy for long and b) a point a game forward would make him a top 10-15 scorer in the league, which he is nowhere near.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
That's all well and good, except a) Lupul is never healthy for long and b) a point a game forward would make him a top 10-15 scorer in the league, which he is nowhere near.

No, a pt per game gets him 50 pts if he only plays 50 games ;)
He was a pt per game in his all star yr with us remember

Ace88*

on crutches

i like him as a player but i think it's come time for us to get a more stable option into our top 6 for that $5.25

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
on crutches

i like him as a player but i think it's come time for us to get a more stable option into our top 6 for that $5.25

Lol Bingo. I wonder how his new photoshoot for "Being injured but dressing for it" will go.

Delicious Dangles*

He's injured a lot, but he can be as dynamic as anybody on our team when healthy.

Kinda reminds me of Franzen. And Franzen was incredibly important for Detroit during their cup runs.

You won't find somebody who can bring more when healthy for his cost, so it's best to keep him until there is a permanent replacement and we need the cap space.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I can't help but feel if we can get him healthy and scoring again that he will be used as trade bait. He's 31 now and if he's continuing to sustain broken bones and various injuries at his age it will be very problematic. I feel like we may not have much time left with him where his game is at his highest level. And believe me it's tough for me to say that because I'm a huge fan of his. He's one of my favourite players on the team.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Prime candidate for a trade, that Toffoli for Lupul trade would've been amazing! too bad it fell through.

2015 1st+b prospect from Pitty, Anaheim or LA(or another contender) for Lupul would be huge.

this is the draft where you can still get a very good player late in the draft, think 2003 draft.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Lupul is a pretty legit winger. He could play on most team's first line.

If we make the playoffs... Lupul will be needed.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I like Lupul, but he'l soon be very expendable and it's a shame he wasn't dealt last year at the deadline. This year Nonis knows he has to make the post season or pack his bags, so I doubt we see depth traded off. Same goes for Franson, unless he can be made expendable during the season by Rielly/Gardiner/Percy, I bet we lose him for nothing.

Nonis might need to make the post season but Shanahan isn't going to let him make lame duck decisions for the team here. Shanahan brought in Hunter who is one of the best junior scouts there is at the executive level and this is one of the deepest drafts in a decade combined with Lupul who has had extensive injury problems. If we can get a late 1st out of a contending team for Lupul, depending on where we are in the standings, it could be the right decision to make and if it is Nonis will have to make the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad