Where do YOU want Ovechkin to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
nomorekids said:
well, there's no chance of these cities BECOMING hockey cities

You should have stopped here.

please refrain from ignorant, nationalistic comments in the future.

I'm not even Canadian and I see nothing wrong with what I said. I would hate to see a future star go to a team where people don't appreciate him. I feel the same way about Kovalchuk. Explain to me where I was being ignorant...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
BartG101 said:
You should have stopped here.

please refrain from ignorant, nationalistic comments in the future.

I'm not even Canadian and I see nothing wrong with what I said. I would hate to see a future star go to a team where people don't appreciate him. I feel the same way about Kovalchuk. Explain to me where I was being ignorant...

if that's the case,then all of these cities should(by your logic) have their franchises immediately repealed. florida, tampa bay,carolina, nashville, atlanta, anaheim, phoenix, LA, dallas and we'll even throw in NJ, since they have support problems. we'll cut the league down to 20 teams, and those fans that grew to love hockey because they finally had teams to support will be out of luck. all of the dream to make hockey a more popular game will have failed, and it will go back to being a canadian\north US exclusive institution. i'm not sure how you see that as a good thing, but whatever.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
BartG101 said:
I would hate to see a future star go to a team where people don't appreciate him. I feel the same way about Kovalchuk. Explain to me where I was being ignorant...

negative11.jpg

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
If he goes to columbus, they will be a future powerhouse. That would suck for us central divisioners. Columbus has done a heck of a job drafting so far.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
nomorekids said:
if that's the case,then all of these cities should(by your logic) have their franchises immediately repealed. florida, tampa bay,carolina, nashville, atlanta, anaheim, phoenix, LA, dallas and we'll even throw in NJ, since they have support problems. we'll cut the league down to 20 teams, and those fans that grew to love hockey because they finally had teams to support will be out of luck. all of the dream to make hockey a more popular game will have failed, and it will go back to being a canadian\north US exclusive institution. i'm not sure how you see that as a good thing, but whatever.

I never said anything about contraction, but I guess when you call out my "ignorance" you need to put words into my mouth to make it feasible. Hockey is a regional sport. Making it more popular in other areas shouldn't be a concern. But the fact remains that teams are in place in non-traditional hockey markets and I'm not calling for contraction. Eventually I think it will happen all by itself. My point remains that, in my opinion, I'd rather see him go somewhere where a majority of the people care about the sport.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
BartG101 said:
Hockey is a regional sport.

So basically you are limiting hockey to a select few. You've already given up hope that it can be popular outside Northern North America. In other words, you've doomed it for failure. It's clearly overextended its bounds using your terminology. Unless that region is Europe AND all of North America (which it appears from previous comments, it is not), the NHL is in dire need of contraction to stop the bleeding. I, for one, don't think hockey has to be labeled as a regional/Canadian only sport. I have seen too many people converted despite seeing only a marginal brand of hockey. Hockey can survive in the South; it will survive in the South. All they need is a good team to support. Hell, most Canadians won't watch a loser and that's all that Tampa Bay, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, Atlanta and Co. have been for most of their existence.

And before you say that we should support a loser just because it's hockey, keep in mind that very few cities have ever supported a new team through consistent failure. Even well established teams like the Bengals have trouble drawing crowds and this is in the all-mighty NFL. In baseball, even in the hotbed of the South, there are rarely sell outs. The NBA is the same way. If you don't win, they won't support you. There are a handful of cities around continent who can claim they support their team through everything. Until their is a consistent winner in the south, any comments about its lacking of hockey support is just based on ignorant presuppositions.

BartG101 said:
Making it more popular in other areas shouldn't be a concern.

Let me guess, you aren't a hockey fan. Why would you want to deprive so many hockey fans (of which there are many in the south)? We have just as much of a right to this game as you do or anybody else does. You didn't invent it, and neither did we.

BartG101 said:
My point remains that, in my opinion, I'd rather see him go somewhere where a majority of the people care about the sport.

Tough luck bud, but the only place this is happening is in a select few Canadian cities. Should hockey just give up and contract every US team so that every player can play under that stipulation? Because, the majority of people in New York/Detroit/Boston/Buffalo don't care about hockey. Same with almost every city on the face of the earth. And the majority of people don't care about baseball or basketball or, in some cases, football, as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd like to see him go to Pittsburgh. After all the talent they've lost recently, their fans deserve to get a couple of players like Fleury and Ovechkin.

And selfishly, I'd love for Ovechkin to head Buffalo's way.

Vanek-Drury-Ovechkin

I could learn to like that line...........

:yo:

CoolburnIsGone

SmokeyClause said:
Hockey can survive in the South; it will survive in the South. All they need is a good team to support. Hell, most Canadians won't watch a loser and that's all that Tampa Bay, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, Atlanta and Co. have been for most of their existence.

And before you say that we should support a loser just because it's hockey, keep in mind that very few cities have ever supported a new team through consistent failure. Even well established teams like the Bengals have trouble drawing crowds and this is in the all-mighty NFL. In baseball, even in the hotbed of the South, there are rarely sell outs. The NBA is the same way. If you don't win, they won't support you. There are a handful of cities around continent who can claim they support their team through everything. Until their is a consistent winner in the south, any comments about its lacking of hockey support is just based on ignorant presuppositions.
You've hit the nail on the head. We've experienced this first hand in south Florida with baseball this past yr. The Marlins were drawing as few as 10,000 fans before the playoff run this yr. They were pathetic for quite a few yrs and none of the fans down here would support the team. As the playoff race started, the attendance obviously started to climb till you had 60,000 baseball fans making Pro Player Stadium a very loud place to be.

Back to hockey, the Panthers when they were winning and made their cup run sold out like every game and their early yrs were played in an arena not suited for hockey but had great acoustics. The move to the new arena also was at the same time the team was sold. Everything goes in cycles...lose a few yrs to get those high draft picks to restock and then win a few yrs with those players when they mature. Without a marquee player to recognize in the meantime, most teams can't draw fans. With Pavel Bure here, the Panthers drew pretty well even being mediocre most of the time. A lot of these teams in the South will be the ones dominating the league in the coming yrs...take one look at TB and you can see thats true...look at how Atlanta is playing right now.

I'd love to see Ovechkin in FL because I think its possible this could be the last yr with Vik Kozlov at RW on the top line. Teams I would also like to see him play for would be Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, Nashville, & Calgary. Those teams could probably use him the most IMO.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I think the two that will be going hard for his services will be Pittsburgh and Washington. With the Pens edging out the Caps for the young Phenom....

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
By the way, Alexander Ovechkin is back from his injury and his team Dynamo Moscow tied with Avangard Omsk 4-4. Ovechkin got one goal to give Dynamo a 2-1 lead in the second period, but Avangard tied it soon after, making it 2-2, and finally the game ended in a 4-4 tie.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
SmokeyClause said:
Because, the majority of people in New York/Detroit/Boston/Buffalo don't care about hockey. Same with almost every city on the face of the earth. And the majority of people don't care about baseball or basketball or, in some cases, football, as well.

There are many more die hard hockey fans in all of those cities you mentioned than in the ones I mentioned. The question is where do YOU want him to go. I want him to go to a hockey city.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
topshelf331 said:
If he goes to columbus, they will be a future powerhouse. That would suck for us central divisioners. Columbus has done a heck of a job drafting so far.

Nash-Ovechkin-Zherdev :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->