Where do you think Mario got inspiration for his style of play?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Then 1971 again against Orr starting at the 4:00 mark.

Then 1971 SCF game 7 beating Magnusson posted previously

Yeah this a terrific clip, whole thing with Montreal storming back from a major deficit. Henri Richard made Orr look pretty bad there... Sanderson & others also collapsing & looking like Children vs Men..... Not a good night for Eddie Johnston either. Had his number, couple of beautiful Roofers on the guy, going down early, panicked, freaked, shaken & stirred. Bruins way too cocky for their own good at times.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here you go from 1967 Henri Richard playing against Bobby Orr.View attachment 106593
Then 1971 again against Orr starting at the 4:00 mark.

Then 1971 SCF game 7 beating Magnusson posted previously

I have no idea what the picture is supposed to represent. It looks like a battle on the boards. The 1971 goal vs. Orr in the playoffs is nice. Shades of Mario when spreading the legs apart. It still isn't the play I am talking about though.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I have no idea what the picture is supposed to represent. It looks like a battle on the boards. The 1971 goal vs. Orr in the playoffs is nice. Shades of Mario when spreading the legs apart. It still isn't the play I am talking about though.

Never will be since you conveniently never posted a defining photo or video.

Still 1967 and 1971 Lemieux was of pre school age. The move was around and had been taught to novice players for generations.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Still 1967 and 1971 be Lemieux was of school age. The move was around and had been taught to novice players for generations.

Indeed.... you learn it playing shinny. All part of the "Keepaway" set of tools in the box. Or maybe taught it at Tyke, Atom or Pee Wee. A move Henri Richard employed to great effect on both sides of the ice, on his forehand or backhand, one hand on the stick halfway down the shaft to the far side of the checker, and with his free arm & hand warding off & leaning into the checker leveraging his body to gain inertia in gaining speed & energy from the guy trying to check him.... who like Sanderson in that clip is left flailing away with his stick to Henri's far side. Impossible task, and meanwhile, Richard has sucked the energy out of the guy, launched off him in a glide & gone, open path to the net, the goalie unable to read what he might be planning as he's only got one arm on his stick, the pucks being cradled as he closes in so you'd be thinking "probably deke".... but no, not always with the Pocket Rocket. He had fast hands, could just easily grab the stick with his other free hand, quick flick or wrister, follow through in his arc & with the Goalie following him through the slot, shoot it into the net shortside. Where you were a nano second earlier.

Vast disparity in size between Henri Richard & Mario Lemieux however its an interesting & extreme example of how both a shorter or taller player can effectively employ such a move. Mario with his reach didnt have to angulate his body to the extremes Richard did who obviously had a lower center of gravity..... which he used to his advantage in playing it much closer to the ice surface, making it just as difficult to check as it would with a big guy like a Lemieux or a Beliveau who would rely more on reach. Height & weight advantages. Requires some ambidexterity to be able to pull that off on the back or forehand, speed through a gliding arc & of course balance, strength in holding off the checker & using his strength as a propellent & of course, timing, puck control on the drag & cradle, confidence, drive & determination. Wingers are often only capable of that move on their natural shooting side whereas a good Center can pull it off on the fore or back hand. Some Wingers, Maurice Richard & Gordie Howe the most notable examples, but Howe could play it, pull that move on either hand/arm. Ive seen Lemieux pull these moves & more, we all have, but yes, need a video, clip of some kind to determine precisely what it is BP's referring to if not this.... But hey, no worries either way. Checkout Mario Lemieux Hi-Lites on youtube, all kinds of amazing.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
In one All-Star game breakaway contest, Lemieux scored the greatest "one-handed" goal I have ever seen.His execution of that popular move was the best and smoothest I saw.

Check at 3:17

The move didn't "break" like when pretty much everyone else does it.

Lemieux was just the best player one-on-one and on breakaways.He was most likely Top 5 of all-time if you consider the overall arsenal of shots.Top 5 in hands.Top 5 in intelligence, at least offensively in a cat and mouse, fool you and make you look dumb way.Top 5 passer.His mastery was just complete, this is why he was Top 5 in so many categories.He had a "core" mastery that goes beyond, or underlies all the individual skills.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
In one All-Star game breakaway contest, Lemieux scored the greatest "one-handed" goal I have ever seen.His execution of that popular move was the best and smoothest I saw.

Check at 3:17

The move didn't "break" like when pretty much everyone else does it.

Lemieux was just the best player one-on-one and on breakaways.He was most likely Top 5 of all-time if you consider the overall arsenal of shots.Top 5 in hands.Top 5 in intelligence, at least offensively in a cat and mouse, fool you and make you look dumb way.Top 5 passer.His mastery was just complete, this is why he was Top 5 in so many categories.He had a "core" mastery that goes beyond, or underlies all the individual skills.

Pretty well sums it up.Especially the ability to master his center of gravity and space.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Still 1967 and 1971 Lemieux was of pre school age. The move was around and had been taught to novice players for generations.

I did in Post #39. I explain it pretty clearly too, always have. Look for yourself.

All I will say is this, Lemieux is the first player I ever saw that could deke a player out so effortlessly and with literally a flick of the wrist..............on the rush. No one did it before, or since, quite like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad