Where do the players come from?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I plan to watch an ECHL game when im in Vegas. Just out of curiosity. And compare to the different levels i have watched.

Where do the players come from? How do they end up on their respective teams?

Draft? Undrafted?

Thanks

I didnt recognize anyone from the LV roster of last year.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Some drafted, some went undrafted. Some are part of the organizations of their teams' parent affiliates, some are just career minor leaguers that go from contract to contract.

Some teams actively try to recruit players right out of college or try to acquire former NHLers, AHLers, and other ECHLers that were cut elsewhere.

It all depends.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
It's definitely above any amateur league (NCAA, OHL, QMJHL etc.) I believe if you are drafted, you cannot play in the ECHL until you are older than 20. Since the ECHL does not hold an entry-draft like the NHL, most teams sign free-agents. A lot of times you see kids get signed at the end of the collegiate season and after kids compete their junior eligibility. You might get 4 or 5 guys on a roster that were drafted in the NHL. Usually in the latter rounds.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The ceiling for talent is higher in the NCAA than it is in the ECHL, as the top players still in college are all NHL-bound whereas that's not the case for the ECHL, but I'd venture a guess that the average ECHL team could beat any NCAA team in a best of seven series just from the fact that the minor leaguers are older, more experienced, and have more muscle. I'd take a hypothetical NCAA all-star team over an ECHL all-star team, though.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
The ceiling for talent is higher in the NCAA than it is in the ECHL, as the top players still in college are all NHL-bound whereas that's not the case for the ECHL, but I'd venture a guess that the average ECHL team could beat any NCAA team in a best of seven series just from the fact that the minor leaguers are older, more experienced, and have more muscle. I'd take a hypothetical NCAA all-star team over an ECHL all-star team, though.

Toews-Parise-St.Louis
Keith-Johnson
Miller

Would beat most AHL teams and every ECHL team. An all-star ECHL team? It'd be close.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Toews-Parise-St.Louis
Keith-Johnson
Miller

Would beat most AHL teams and every ECHL team. An all-star ECHL team? It'd be close.

Sure, but that team was never iced in the NCAA. I'm saying that an all-star ECHL team could beat North Dakota or Michigan or Dartmouth.

All-star college > all-star minor league, but the teams themselves I mean would almost assuredly favor the minors.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
ECHL is a developement league ranked below the AHL. In baseball terms it is the AA level, players are usually former college/junior players, and former AHL players. There is a mix of guys that went undrafted, and ones that were drafted in the late rounds.

ECHL is a great development league and does produce some quality NHL players.

A short list off the top of my head is: Jonathan Quick, Stu Bickel, Daniel Carcillo, B.J. Crombeen, P.A. Parenteau, and Tomas Vokoun

I know there are many more than that, and even more that have reached the AHL as well.

So you will be seeing some good hockey (at a good price) and get to watch some good players working there way up the ladder in thier careers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ECHL is a great development league and does produce some quality NHL players.

A short list off the top of my head is: Jonathan Quick, Stu Bickel, Daniel Carcillo, B.J. Crombeen, P.A. Parenteau, and Tomas Vokoun

Oilers' Dubnyk. Sharks Desjardins (he actually started in CHL).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I like this assessment.

Some people may not know this, but there are many ECHL players making in the $120,000 to $150,000 per season range. These are the NHL drafted players who are on entry-level NHL two-way contracts. The ECHL teams only are responsible for paying $525 per week of these deals. They pay that to the affiliated NHL team and these players get their paychecks from the parent organization from what I've been told.

You can always tell a player who is on (or was on) an NHL deal by the car he drives:laugh:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I like this assessment.

Some people may not know this, but there are many ECHL players making in the $120,000 to $150,000 per season range. These are the NHL drafted players who are on entry-level NHL two-way contracts. The ECHL teams only are responsible for paying $525 per week of these deals. They pay that to the affiliated NHL team and these players get their paychecks from the parent organization from what I've been told.

You can always tell a player who is on (or was on) an NHL deal by the car he drives:laugh:

That happens to maybe 2 players every season where they are making upwards of 6 figures per year. And yes the car is a good indicator, also the girlfriend/wife is another :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad