Where did this Athanasiou go?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
the difference between mantha's and AA's attitude is really striking in this article. also explains why mantha was given a bigger leash than AA down the stretch this year

The "Heart-To-Heart" Between Blashill And Mantha That Repaired Their Relationship

After reading this article and then hearing AA's interview, I highly doubt AA will be a red wings next season
What stood out for me is that Mantha is the one who had to initiate this conversation/change of tactics. Did no one on the coaching staff notice they weren't getting through to him? That maybe approaching him differently would be a good idea?

Maybe what Blashill really needs is a "Dave Lewis" on the bench. A guy the players feel comfortable going to and essentially being the liaison between the players and coach.

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
That's a good point. It'd be like an elementary school teacher having a lesson plan where all the students fail the quiz at the end, and instead of trying a different medium to teach, just continues with the same plan. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

chris05

May 23, 2013
"I'd argue that AA, based on what he did when he played high minutes, would have been more effective than Nyquist and Tatar and probably just as effective, or more so, than Mantha."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody on the wings roster touches this kid when you put him on a level playing field.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What stood out for me is that Mantha is the one who had to initiate this conversation/change of tactics. Did no one on the coaching staff notice they weren't getting through to him? That maybe approaching him differently would be a good idea?

Maybe what Blashill really needs is a "Dave Lewis" on the bench. A guy the players feel comfortable going to and essentially being the liaison between the players and coach.

Totally agree - not much of a people person if you chose to publicly humiliate someone rather than engage in a heart-to-heart sit down when trying to motivate or get your point across. The article is promising in regards to Mantha, very disappointing in regards to the coaching staff and Blashill in particular.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
" There's a lot of times where the stage is big here and you have to compete on that level, and I think I do a really good job of competing on the big stage and at the highest level."

This is AA's problem right here. He doesn't see he's not competing, he thinks he's fine.

As a coach, manager, boss etc. this is likely the most frustrating thing you can feel when you are trying to teach someone, an inability to admit and accept blame.
I can't say for sure if AA has an attitude issue, but all signs point towards yes and if this is the case, I can see why he isnt given the minutes he wants and I can see why they are looking to move him. I hope all this is wrong, and this is just fan/media speculation, but my gut tells me its dead on.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Why should any player need constant affirmation by his coach in order to be successful?

This is why you have player leadership. This is why you have Glendening in the locker room. This is why Abby wears an A. This is why you don't kick players like Cleary to the curb. Because when a player loses his way, he can look around him to see what it takes.

Reactions: Oddbob

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I don't think AA is constantly looking for affirmation. I just don't think he can accept fault for his actions. He seems to have difficulty working within a system established by the coaches, yet he thrives when the other team's defense breaks down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad