Where can i find advanced stats from players of all eras?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The issue is that many of the stats weren't kept in prior eras. Short of finding old game tape there's no idea to know what Bobby Orrs corsi was because it simply wasn't tracked.

Vs-X is calculated off of stats that have been around forever, and I think the guys went all the way back with it, it should be in the Vs-X thread on this forum (I'd have to dig it up).

Really the only stats we have through the entire history of hockey are goals, assists and points. Even simple things like +/-, ice time and shots weren't always tracked on an individual player basis.

Last edited:

soireeculturelle

Jan 7, 2014
gonna be tough to find anything before 2007 (when the NHL began using the real-time stats system). you'd have to watch the games and record shot attempts by hand, which is obviously not very fun or time-effective.

for team possession, some researchers have found that the shot differentials in the first 2 periods make for a decent proxy.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I have somewhat advanced goalie stats back a bit, at least for the NHL.

Goal differential (goals better than league average) and goals above replacement level are available back to 1952-53.

My more "fun" stuff - goalie consistency and goalie strength of schedult - go back as far as my game logs (currently 1982-83).

For instance:
http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/roy.html

(under REGULAR SEASON STATISTICS, or POSTSEASON STATISTICS)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The issue is that many of the stats weren't kept in prior eras. Short of finding old game tape there's no idea to know what Bobby Orrs corsi was because it simply wasn't tracked.

Vs-X is calculated off of stats that have been around forever, and I think the guys went all the way back with it, it should be in the Vs-X thread on this forum (I'd have to dig it up).

Really the only stats we have through the entire history of hockey are goals, assists and points. Even simple things like +/-, ice time and shots weren't always tracked on an individual player basis.

We don't even have assists through all of hockey history, though we do have them through all of NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad