When will Aaltonen get his shot?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Depends on your definition of ****. They have been winning some real good **** this season, and appear to be growing a pretty impressive pile of ****.

Thank Andersen, he's faced more shots than anybody else in the league and if you think we're winning with this blueline best of luck to you

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Thank Andersen, he's faced more shots than anybody else in the league and if you think we're winning with this blueline best of luck to you
Again, define winning? Stanley cup? Probably not, but the chances of that are miniscule either way. Anyone expecting us to win the cup this season is insane. A "win" for this team, as it is, this season is in reach. Winning a round or 2 should and will be considered sucessful and is fully attainable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Again, define winning? Stanley cup? Probably not, but the chances of that are miniscule either way. Anyone expecting us to win the cup this season is insane. A "win" for this team, as it is, this season is in reach. Winning a round or 2 should and will be considered sucessful and is fully attainable.

Sell or try to win even if you have to add, don't half ass both

Reactions: hotpaws

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Luck is always part of winning so there's that. Just hope for no ****ty luck. Leafs haven't been this good since Methusala's cat was a kitten and all you can say is they ain't winning ****. I hope you enjoy the playoffs, I certainly plan on it, no ****.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Grow, develop, make minor tweaks, and push as far as you can this season.

But by no means, go all in this year.
We have 15 years of competitive team and selling futures now is incredibly stupid. We're going to need those pieces(Dermott's, Kapanen's, Liljeren's) in a few years.

At the same time, selling assets is nearly as foolish. By selling, you're telling a young team who are playing incredibly well, that their not good enough. That they should abandon their season, in which their the 6th best team in the league, because their GM doesn't think their good enough. That could absolutely ruin this team and would set a terrible precedent.

In conclusion; adjust it, tweak it with small smart additions, develop it, make a push this year, but don't sell the future, and don't give up on the team this season.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Luck is always part of winning so there's that. Just hope for no ****ty luck. Leafs haven't been this good since Methusala's cat was a kitten and all you can say is they ain't winning ****. I hope you enjoy the playoffs, I certainly plan on it, no ****.

Luck isn't a strategy, seeing an issue and either fixing it now or getting the futures together to get a fix it in the foreseeable future is a strategy

The Leafs are the 3rd best team in there own division so I don't care about how we compare to the suck of the past I only care on how they compare to there competition

Grow, develop, make minor tweaks, and push as far as you can this season.

But by no means, go all in this year.
We have 15 years of competitive team and selling futures now is incredibly stupid. We're going to need those pieces(Dermott's, Kapanen's, Liljeren's) in a few years.

At the same time, selling assets is nearly as foolish. By selling, you're telling a young team who are playing incredibly well, that their not good enough. That they should abandon their season, in which their the 6th best team in the league, because their GM doesn't think their good enough. That could absolutely ruin this team and would set a terrible precedent.

In conclusion; adjust it, tweak it with small smart additions, develop it, make a push this year, but don't sell the future, and don't give up on the team this season.

If you want the next 10-15 years of competitiveness sell now get the assets to buy or draft with an eye to the future, or add now if there's someone available that's going to make a difference but doing nothing is the worst of both worlds

Your hurting the future for a highly unlikely chance of achieving anything this season

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Luck isn't a strategy, seeing an issue and either fixing it now or getting the futures together to get a fix it in the foreseeable future is a strategy

The Leafs are the 3rd best team in there own division so I don't care about how we compare to the suck of the past I only care on how they compare to there competition

OK, luck is luck, no strategy required.

If you want the next 10-15 years of competitiveness sell now get the assets to buy or draft with an eye to the future, or add now if there's someone available that's going to make a difference but doing nothing is the worst of both worlds

Your hurting the future for a highly unlikely chance of achieving anything this season

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Dude we have just proven that we are not utilizing those later round picks. They are all going to walk because Babcock will not give them a real shot. He defers to VETS and thats it. I know you think people are going to pay mid round picks for BOZAK?! He will make it to market and that's it, MAAAAYBE JVR will get snagged for the conversation but not likely either. You either sell and get a clear upgrade at position of need while affording opportunity to kids that are ready for a fair chance ~or~ You just keep trading all those late picks(Leivo Bracco etc) away after trying them 5 games, but don't worry if a grinder comes along we will keep that.

Best day in this season will see the trade of JVR Bozak Polak and a trade for a Doughty level player for D while giving the Nod to Nylander at C and a chance for some other kids in better positions.

I'm no Babcock fan, but dude you're delusional. Leivo and Gauthier both sucked when given a chance and there's no way with the Leafs in the position they're in this year that barring injury more AHLers are coming up for the playoffs.

Young DOES NOT equal GOOD. They have to prove it when their time comes.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

I never said do nothing.

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB

This thinking is wrong. Building a SC team from the ashes of last place requires at least an ounce or two of patience. Let the team and some of these young players develop. See if any of the Marlies can become good supplementry pieces. Let the core gain some experience and chemistry. Tweak as needed like another poster stated. To sell and immediately tear down any team that isn’t yet an imminent SC champion is just silly IMO.

Reactions: The Cobra

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
ALL I am referring to is the drafting of goalies isn't over for us. If anything ever happened(injury) we don't have a replacement in view yet in our organization.As such, I would rate Center and then G as 2 points we may want to look at in the draft.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Damn you do a lot of btching for a team thats sits as high as we do.

Your in the other thread wanting to sell you special individual, I've been arguing in here to sell so that we can shop for a defensive upgrade to help Andersen out

Make sense or is that over your paygrade?

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Your in the other thread wanting to sell you special individual, I've been arguing in here to sell so that we can shop for a defensive upgrade to help Andersen out

Make sense or is that over your paygrade?

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to our deferencemen.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If Matty is out for a bit, I can see Aaltonen get called up to slot in as the 3C.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

I agree: sell now. JvR in particular. Win big at the draft and then you have the final piece(s) in place for the next 15 years.

Boston and Tampa could both be adding this year, and they are already both better than the Leafs as is. Let them blow their load this weekend and hurt themselves for the draft this summer and for the next decade plus.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Saw Aaltonen get hit pretty hard yesterday by seth Griffith. He was out cold for awhile and could barely get off the ice. Marlies were up 4-2 at that point and lost 7-4 after that.

Anyone with an update on him, obviously looked like a major concussion. Hopefully hes ok, it looked really bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad