When will Aaltonen get his shot?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Aaltonen's age and stats look like he'd be a fit on an early rebuilder like Detroit, not on a team looking to beef up as a contender.

Reactions: Bullseye

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Aaltonen's age and stats look like he'd be a fit on an early rebuilder like Detroit, not on a team looking to beef up as a contender.
I'd have no problem using him in trade to acquire Glendening from the Wings. If that stabilizes our 4th line, great. He's signed until 2021 at 1.8 cap hit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd have no problem using him in trade to acquire Glendening from the Wings. If that stabilizes our 4th line, great. He's signed until 2021 at 1.8 cap hit.

Personally don't care about Glendening or the name brand of a guy who's probably just Dominic Moore by any other name. Just need fourth liners coming up in the system who can play. Look at Tampa with their random guys like Gourde, etc. who came up last year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Personally don't care about Glendening or the name brand of a guy who's probably just Dominic Moore by any other name. Just need fourth liners coming up in the system who can play. Look at Tampa with their random guys like Gourde, etc. who came up last year.

Then you must be aware that Yanni Gourde was putting up numbers in the AHL the last couple of years when he was 24/25 very similar to what Aaltonnen is doing right now at 24 (with the advantage of not having to acclimatize to American rinks). If you think Gourde is a good fit for Tampa, what's your problem with Aaltonen in T.O.?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I would be cool with having a look at Aaltonen and Johnsson soon. Holl playing third pair with Dermott is a pair i would like to see also. I like Carrick but trade kid if Polak is considered better than him by the coach.

Whatever gets polak out of the lineup. Can we just fire polak!!!

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
almost every leafs fan wanted him to be 4c at training camp, heck he looks to have 3c potential but we wont know unless he plays i wish he made the team out of camp, who knows he could have made bozie expandable and been our 3c.....

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
So if Aaltonen likely isn't our answer at 4C, who is? We have no depth yet. Will Adam Brooks ever become strong enough to be that guy? Gauthier seems to be written off by HF boards. Who's the future?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t agree in the slightest that a 4C HAS to be a grinder - it just turns out that’s often the case because teams don’t have the centre depth to have a skilled guy down there.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I don’t agree in the slightest that a 4C HAS to be a grinder - it just turns out that’s often the case because teams don’t have the centre depth to have a skilled guy down there.

As well, having skilled players on the 4th line creates a quandry for opposing coaches of who to play against them, as it becomes harder to tell which is the more dangerous line, the 3rd or the 4th. If anything, just replacing Martin with Kapanen for instance, had offered even more even strength shelter for the likes Bozak and JVR.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What about the Goat??

I think he flunked out of his audition for Babcock this year. Babcock doesn’t seem to like Moore much either - sonwas pretty telling that he’d rather have the Goat sent back down. Think he maybe gets another chance at camp to win a job.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The truth on Gauthier is next camp is his last chance and Aalto gets his chance when/if Bozak moves on. Toronto will get that rep soon, if you are a forward prospect there is a line up now. Luckily, 4 guys could be leaving this summer. We are weak at C outside Mathews, Kadri and perhaps Nylander but that seems to be the whole league right now. Defense for years was our archilles heal, not now. With a young defense and Dermott, Liljegren, Borgman and perhaps Rasanen it is slowly becoming a steady pipeline. Our pluses are Wing and Defenseman. But at C and Goal? Ewwww.........

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
what about the future? in 3 years when andy's contract is up
A lot can happen in 3 years in terms of development and what not. Fred is only 28. I am sure the way he's going we will definitely re-sign him. I believe he'll be a Leaf till the end of his career, but anything can happen.

In terms of the pipeline, we have Sparks, Ian Scott, and Woll. Sparks is pretty decent in the A this year, hopefully Woll or Scott turn out nice. In the mean time I only care about Andersen. What a beauty! :bow:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
In regards to Aaltonen, i'd hate to trade him without seeing what he can do for us. I am positive he can bring more than Moore and possibly generate better chemistry with Kappy in the meantime. But i'll leave that up to management when they decide it's the right time to call him up.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Because your not winning **** with that blueline no matter how much people around here want to believe in miracles
Depends on your definition of ****. They have been winning some real good **** this season, and appear to be growing a pretty impressive pile of ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad