When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
I remember crying hard after a 3-0 loss. I was the 10-year-old goalie and my best friend, the kid I THOUGHT was my best friend flat out betrayed me backhanding in one of the goals.

NHL... Sabres lose to Boston in Game 7. Park OT. Broke. My. Heart.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Never. It's just a sport. In this particular one people skate around on ice, banging a rubber puck. It does have some entertainment value. Real importance: very close to zero.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
d89glqwxyaaw6ap_orig.jpg

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Maybe when I was 11…
I feel like as a adult if I cry over sports then I might have other emotional issues I should deal with.

Reactions: Dog

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Game 6 of the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals I didn't cry but definitely shed a tear or two. Paid ~$900 to sit in the upper bowl just to end up watching Sidney freaking Crosby, a player I hate more than most, raise the cup on our home ice. Family had season tickets since Year 1 in San Jose and I had waited my entire life for that chance.....and it just HAD to be freaking Crosby and the Penguins who beat us. Flip side, I got to be there when Donskoi scored in OT of game 3 which was insane.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Agree with many ITT that I’ve never felt the urge to cry as a fan/spectator despite some crushing playoff losses.

IMO a more applicable thread would be “What’s the most expensive thing you’ve broken or damaged after a playoff loss?”

there are definitely some drywall punchers / remote throwers on these boards

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I think I was about 10 years old. The Canucks lost to the Blues 8-2 in one game in the first round. I wanna say late 90s or early 2000s. Right after that I instantly became a manly man and have never cried ever again since.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The only playoff game in any sport that has ever made me cry happened on October 25, 1986, when I was an 8 year old Red Sox fan watching Bill Buckner miss an easy grounder to give away game 6 of the World Series after being up 2 runs going into the bottom of the 10th.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm a Blues fan since the 90s (born in 1991). Each of the years they made it, I expected them to lose. I was mostly apathetic, knowing that something "Bluesy" would sink them. I think the last time I cried was the loss against the Predators in the Western Conference Championship in 2017. I thought I'd die before I'd see them win a Stanley Cup. Given certain events in my life, I almost died three times over before 2019.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The only playoff game in any sport that has ever made me cry happened on October 25, 1986, when I was an 8 year old Red Sox fan watching Bill Buckner miss an easy grounder to give away game 6 of the World Series after being up 2 runs going into the bottom of the 10th.

To be fair, we all know by now that many bad things happened prior to that moment to the Red Sox. They were their own worst enemy. Up 2-0 in the World Series going home(!) only to lose 2/3. Up 3-2 in Game 6 only to inexplicably pull Roger Clemens the league MVP of that year. Up 5-3 in the bottom of the 10th with two outs, two strikes and Calvin Schiraldi giving up three straight singles. Then Bob Stanley comes in and throws a wild pitch to Mookie Wilson - who also had two strikes - and allows a run. Buckner's error gets all the bad press, but he was 3rd on the pecking order of the mistakes made in that INNING alone let alone all time. And let's not forget John McNamara's managerial blunders that led to it. On top of it, the Sox cough up a 3-0 lead in Game 7! Poor Buckner though. The guy was all class handling it the way he did. No one could have done that better.

But heck, I cried at 8 years old too at playoff losses.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Okay, not a playoff loss, and I didn't cry, but Gretzky's retirement and the closing of the Maple Leaf Gardens were two months apart and felt like the end of an era in so many ways. But nothing tops the closing of the Montreal Forum. That is right up there with a funeral. I have never seen a more reverent ceremony for something like that. When Richard was cheered on the ice for 7-8 minutes and even HE was wiping away tears. I mean, we all know Messier as tough as he can be, is well known for getting emotional on the ice with these things, but the Rocket? I didn't think that man could cry. And yet he did. That ceremony was the closest I think I may have ever been in my sports life.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
2004 Cup Finals, Flames and Lightning. Balled my eyes out. I was in 6th grade I think. Some tool in our class wore a Lightning jersey the next day to school and we beat the snot out of him at recess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad