When was the last time WPG traded a 1st?

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Technically traded our first to Vegas for their first this past summer, so they'd take Thorbs.

Also traded our first to move up a few spots to get Logan Stanley.

Don't think jets 1.0 ever traded a first.

Edit: forgot about Manson.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
technically:
2017 1st + 2019 3rd to VGK for CBJ's 2017 1st + expansion draft considerations
CHI's 2016 1st + 2016 2nd to PHI for 2016 1st + 2016 3rd

last time the franchise "actually" traded a first:
ATL trades 2007 1st + 2007 3rd + 2008 2nd + Glen Metropolit to STL for Keith Tkachuk

last time a team called "Winnipeg Jets" actually traded a first:
WPG trades 1994 1st + 1994 4th + Mats Lindgren + Boris Mironov to EDM for Dave Manson + 1994 6th

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's really not a "real first" rounder !!! The deal is if the Jet's win the lottery and pick in the top 3 in 2018, we get to keep that, and pick. ( from what I've read) This is highly unlikely to happen, considering our standing.

If we do not win the lottery against big odds, then yes we give up a very late "first round pick"--which is really like a second rounder--so no big deal to me. I think it's a great deal, and we'll also have a good chance to resign Stastny for 3 years or so. I like the deal, and it positions us well to win the Stanley Cup--the exact same reason Stastny waived his "no move clause."

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Other trading of firsts in Jets history:

1992: swapped firsts with Chicago to move down in the draft and grab future superstar Sergei Bautin

1990: Jets and Sabres swapped firsts (14th for 19th) as part of the Hawerchuk trade. We ended up drafting Tkachuk

1984: traded our 1st to Pittsburgh for Randy Carlyle. This helped the penguins tank so they could snag Mario Lemieux instead of New Jersey

Fun fact I discovered while reviewing Jets trade history: In 1983 we traded our 1984 3rd round pick to Montreal for Robert Picard. With that pick, Montreal selected a goalie by the name of Patrick Roy.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's really not a "real first" rounder !!! The deal is if the Jet's win the lottery and pick in the top 3 in 2018, we get to keep that, and pick. ( from what I've read) This is highly unlikely to happen, considering our standing.

If we do not win the lottery against big odds, then yes we give up a very late "first round pick"--which is really like a second rounder--so no big deal to me. I think it's a great deal, and we'll also have a good chance to resign Stastny for 3 years or so. I like the deal, and it positions us well to win the Stanley Cup--the exact same reason Stastny waived his "no move clause."

Chevy downplayed it but I think the call to Blake Wheeler last night sealed the deal for Stastny.

Reactions: GNP

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

In that case, the Jets give up the 2019 first round pick

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In that case, the Jets give up the 2019 first round pick

Yes KC--that is correct !!! we'll likely be giving up a very late 1st round 2018 pik though.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009

Why is it a 'very late' first round pick? It could be as high as 17th overall if we make the playoffs.

m.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Why is it a 'very late' first round pick? It could be as high as 17th overall if we make the playoffs.

m.

I guess you could be very well right Deuce-- I just assumed the Jet's would be picking very late this year, because they will finish so high in the standings--I guess I was wrong, I'll have to look into that. Are you sure about that--doesn't seem right, as the draft is designed to help weaker teams ?? -- but you could be right !!!

Notice Jefferoni in above quote says if we win the Cup, we pick 31-st overall-and good possibility that could happen.

Somebody like Aavco would know --he's on top of all this stuff --but good point.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

m.
At this rate, even if we lose in the first round we'll likely pick around 23-24 being a high-seed loser.

By the way, high-seed loser would be a good band name.

Reactions: TheDeuce

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I guess you could be very well right Deuce-- I just assumed the Jet's would be picking very late this year, because they will finish so high in the standings--I guess I was wrong, I'll have to look into that. Are you sure about that--doesn't seem right, as the draft is designed to help weaker teams ?? -- but you could be right !!!
Notice Jefferoni in above quote says if we win the Cup, we pick 31-st overall-and good possibility that could happen.
Somebody like Aavco would know --he's on top of all this stuff --but good point.

After the non-playoff teams take their places the playoff team order of selection is based on who gets eliminated from the playoffs first. I don't know the details though. I'll have to Google it when I have time. Once the kids are in college I guess.

m.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
If we win the division our pick is at best 26th I believe(correct me if I’m wrong). If not then it is based off of when we get knocked out.

EDIT: But is this pick ours or someone else’s?

EDIT: Nevermind. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
If we win the division our pick is at best 26th I believe(correct me if I’m wrong). If not then it is based off of when we get knocked out.

EDIT: But is this pick ours or someone else’s?

Uh, we don't have anyone else's first rounder at the moment. Pretty sure you can't trade a pick that you might acquire in some future deal.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
technically:
2017 1st + 2019 3rd to VGK for CBJ's 2017 1st + expansion draft considerations
CHI's 2016 1st + 2016 2nd to PHI for 2016 1st + 2016 3rd

last time the franchise "actually" traded a first:
ATL trades 2007 1st + 2007 3rd + 2008 2nd + Glen Metropolit to STL for Keith Tkachuk

last time a team called "Winnipeg Jets" actually traded a first:
WPG trades 1994 1st + 1994 4th + Mats Lindgren + Boris Mironov to EDM for Dave Manson + 1994 6th
Not the last don't forget the kittie.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
No someone brought up that we exchanged 1sts with Vegas but I’m mixing up drafts now that I think about it.

I mix up drafts all the time. It's called a Black and Tan. :laugh:

Black_and_Tan170x300.jpg

Reactions: Duke749

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
After the non-playoff teams take their places the playoff team order of selection is based on who gets eliminated from the playoffs first. I don't know the details though. I'll have to Google it when I have time. Once the kids are in college I guess.

m.

Not technically correct. Draft order is as follows.

Picks 1-3: Draft Lottery winners
Picks 4-15: Non-Playoff non-lottery winners in reverse order of number of points
Picks 16-(23 to 27): Playoff non regular season division winners non conference finals in reverse order of number of points
Picks (23-27)-(24-27): Regular season division winners that don't make conference finals in reverse order of number of points
Picks 28-29: Conference finals losers in reverse order of number of points
Pick 30: Stanley cup final loser
Pick 31: Stanley cup winner

What it basically means that for the Jets is that if they win the division their pick cannot be better than 23. And that would only happen if they had the least number of points among division winners and they all failed to advance past the first two rounds. The lowest a pick can be if the Jets fail to advance out of the first two rounds would be 27. The final 4 picks are the only places playoff results end up mattering.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Saying a 1st is not a real first because it is late and therefore like a 2nd is as logical as saying that an early 2nd is not a real second because it is almost a 1st and therefore should be thought of as a 1st. 1sts are 1sts and 2nds are 2nds. Some are early, some are late, some are in the middle. If you want to be more precise than that you can talk about #22, or #36, or #79 if you wish. But 1sts are not 2nds because they are late 1sts.

We really did trade our first round pick in '18 + Erik Foley for Paul Stastny. I wish it had been our 2nd round pick + Lemieux but it wasn't. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad